McDougall Diet

Options
I was wondering if anybody else was following the McDougall program. I started 2 weeks ago and I'm loving it and feeling so much better. The biggest challenge is living without cheese plus I'm not eating any wheat at this time for maximum weight loss.
Chris

Replies

• usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it... will do some google-ing.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it, but I don't think I could give up my cheese which I eat about 2 or 3 times a day in its various forms (and still lose on a regular basis).
  • honeyhiker
    honeyhiker Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm down 7 pounds in almost 2 weeks so far and feel a lot better so it was worth it. I was eating way too much cheese and pizza. So yummy though : )
  • teresaramsey
    teresaramsey Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how you did with the Mcdougall diet? I have just started it and I'm looking for friends
  • thevegangladiator
    thevegangladiator Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    McDougall is awesome read his books watch his videos he why i go by the vegan gladiator. been doing the diet for a year and will never change. started strength training about 2 months getting good gains with NO supplements at all.
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I did for 8 months to try and help my crohns, and it didnt work. I wrote him and he told me to try an cut wheat as well. It is not realistic to cut meat, dairy, eggs, AND wheat. What the hell is left to eat? So I gave up on the diet. I still eat meatless dishes, because I like variety, and its more economical, but I didnt notice any change in my general health and my flare continued to get worse in those 8 months.

I am sure it helps some people, but he makes it sound like a cure-all and if you dont get results, you need to cut more things from your diet.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I bought his books back in the 90's when I turned Vegetarian & then a Vegan. I'm not totally a Vegetarian now however I lean towards a diet of veggies, fruits, veggie burgers. I'm just not ready today to cut out foods that he refers to....I like variety :smile:
  • teresaramsey
    teresaramsey Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My 8 year old daughter is allergic to wheat dairy eggs and soy and I find it really easy to do low fat plant based meals excluding all those things as well. She eats a good GF bread without dairy and eggs and if we need to bake. Muffins or a cake I use GF baking mix flour and Orgran No Egg and I think it tastes better! Don't give up- its not as hard as you think ESP when u get into yr routines, and if it helps the chrons it will be worth it! Also have u read a book called Self Healing colitis and Chrohns by David Klein
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My 8 year old daughter is allergic to wheat dairy eggs and soy and I find it really easy to do low fat plant based meals excluding all those things as well. She eats a good GF bread without dairy and eggs and if we need to bake. Muffins or a cake I use GF baking mix flour and Orgran No Egg and I think it tastes better! Don't give up- its not as hard as you think ESP when u get into yr routines, and if it helps the chrons it will be worth it! Also have u read a book called Self Healing colitis and Chrohns by David Klein

I am in remission now. I am down to one maintenance med, and I try to eat a whole foods diet. I also take some herbs and supplements, and this combo seems to work.
  • vegandave
    vegandave Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    you know that there's no such this as a 'magic bullet'. His advice seems sound, and his research seems to support it. Many people have switched from wheat to gluten free flours with great pleasure. Unless you're willing to accept your situation, and listen to advice, chances are you're not going to get any better.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    you know that there's no such this as a 'magic bullet'. His advice seems sound, and his research seems to support it.
    Somebody trying to sell yo something is not going to show you all the research that contardicts what he is trying to sell. People are obsessed with cutting gluten when in reality those sensitive and those with a real condition like coeliac are very low.