Is that right?????

Options
MFP said in need 1200 calories. I’m 29 years old 5’3” and now 154lbs (started at 175lbs). Right now I can‘t seem to get over this hump. I stared running but that doesn’t seem to work. Can anyone help???? :frown:

Replies

• melwall78
    melwall78 Posts: 20
    Options
    MFP said in need 1200 calories. I’m 29 years old 5’3” and now 154lbs (started at 175lbs). Right now I can‘t seem to get over this hump. I stared running but that doesn’t seem to work. Can anyone help???? :frown:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I think that's too low--I think you need to aim for a slower weight loss. Maybe 1/2 pound a week. You're not that overweight, given your height and all, so it will be slower. That's the healthy way though! No instant results.

Remember--it takes a deficit of 3500 calories to burn 1 pound! If you're only able to get 100 or 200 calories a day deficit, then it will take a while to add up.

Make sure you're taking into account your normal daily activities when calculating your BMR--being a teacher and mother, you should be somewhat active, right?

Unfortunately, too, when you don't have a lot to lose, you can't get that big of a deficit between your BMR and your needed daily caloric intake. 1200 is the lowest you should go, so you're just not going to be able to get a huge daily deficit and be healthy doing it.

Are you eating your exercise calories?

Hang in there! This is the healthy, long-term way to go about it.
  • melwall78
    Options
    Thanks.
    No I am not eating my exercise calories. Should I?
  • melwall78
    Options
    I changed my goal from 2 pounds a week to 1 pound. It only gave me 180 more calories (1200 to 1380). Does that sound right.?
  • jdtrainer
    jdtrainer Posts: 160
    Options
    I think that the reason you only receceived 180 calories more instead of the 500 you would expect is because 2 pounds/week would put you under the 1200 minimum and MFP won't let you go lower. A 500 calorie deficit puts you at the 1380 calorie level. Yes you should eat your exercise calories on top of the 1380.
  • psuastro97
    psuastro97 Posts: 125
    Options
    what type of exercise do you do ? if it is only cardio, like running, you can add some resistance training/sculpting/weight lifting into your routine. when i was 29, i weighed 150 pounds and got engaged. i had to lose weight. i started to lift weights consistently, 3 times a week for a few months (as well as eat better), and the pounds melted away. (i also did step aerobics and spinning class once a week each) By April, i was 128 pounds - the smallest i have ever been in my life - and i just turned 30!

if you need a video to follow, try Gilad's sculpting videos. he is on FitTV, and sells them on amazon or e-bay, too. he is really easy to follow and not all "overly happy/annoying" when instructing. or just grab a set of dumbbells or bands (or soup cans to start). i try to do 2 exercises per muscle group, 2 sets of each, 12 reps per set. i can usually do this in about 1 hour.

good luck!!!!

ps. i'm now 34 and back to 150 pounds - i lost my exercise consistency! so keep it up once you start and it will definitely show results.
  • psuastro97
    Options
    by the way - CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss to date - that is amazing and shows you have it in you. keep it up!!!!! you have come so far - and you can go further!!!!!:smile:
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    You should be eating your exercise calories! If you don't, you are getting yourself into starvation mode, and your body will shut down the weight loss function to prevent you from starving. Your body needs fuel to work properly.
  • melwall78
    Options
    Thanks. I love it that I can my exercise calories. That makes me sooooo happy.
    As for my exercises I love to walk and I just started running. I’m up from 1 min to 4 on my running.
    But I don't do any kind of weight lifting. I know I need to . I was just hoping to get down a few more pound before I start.
  • shorerider
    Options
    Yes, eat those exercise calories! Your body needs the fuel--especially as you find yourself more active as you lose weight and want to do more.
  • psuastro97
    Options
    do you eat the calories and carbs and protein that you get "added" with the extra exercise, too?
    or try to keep them lower, but eat the calories and protein?
  • shorerider
    Options
    do you eat the calories and carbs and protein that you get "added" with the extra exercise, too?
    or try to keep them lower, but eat the calories and protein?

I never eat all my carbs but that's because I'm diabetic--others might be better to tell what they do. I never eat all my fat either--trying to limit that intake to "good" fats. But I usually go over on proteins :happy:
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i agree with bpolansk try lifting weights 2 or 3 times a week--i was at exactley the same weight as you when i plateaued and started lifting 8lb dumbells with fit tv and i dropped the next 10 lbs easily your body needs a new umppphhhhh......