Skip dinner or not?

amtrust
amtrust Posts: 178
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
OK, what to do? My calories were consumed at a burger/bbq joint for lunch....with my boss and co-workers. I had to eat, yet nothing healthy was there.

I came home and exercised. I'm still a bit over on calories....and still kinda full from lunch (yes, guess I overate).

Since I'm kinda full....is it OK to skip dinner? Or, do I have to eat (even though I'm not hungry) so my body doesn't think it's "starving?"

Suggestions? Knowledge?

Thanks!

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    It won't think you are starving from one missed meal. I would say, if you ARE hungry, don't skip dinner just to stay at your calorie goal (but if it is a regular occurrence, then time to reevaluate). If you AREN'T hungry, then don't eat dinner. One meal isn't going to make a huge difference either way, in my opinion.
  • aling01
    aling01 Posts: 163
    never skip any meal. if you ate too much and you still got a few hours till dinner and is still not hungry by then, just down a 12oz water with protein powder. that way you get protein and carbs in you for dinner.

i would suggest if you have to go out to eat and there is nothing healthy, just eat half of that portion and save the other half for dinner or the following day. =)
  • gabyp0716
    gabyp0716 Posts: 351 Member
    I agree with Kaitlinj. If its one meal and you're still full, I don't see a big deal with skipping dinner. If you do get hungry go for a high protein low cal snack and you should be okay till tomorrow. Of course, don't make it a habit because then it might get in the way of your weight loss. The kind of calories you are taking in are just as important as the quantity of calories you eat.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    I would go for something light............if you eat at all. I am always reminding myself to eat because I am hungry, not because it is considered to be a meal time.................
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    If you're just eating to eat (since you've already met your calories), then I also don't see the point. But if you find yourself hungry later, eat a small meal.
  • KimmyBee
    KimmyBee Posts: 158 Member
    Dont force yourself to eat if you're not hungry. try waiting a few hours and then having something SMALL if you do get hungry later.

of course it wouldhave been better to not over indulge in the first place, but you know that :tongue:

I usually find burger places do mushroom burgers for the vegetarian meal. ty that next time. Theyre also quite tasty, and far fewer in calories!
  • HAS ANYONE HAD A PROBLEM NOT SEEING RESULTS ON THE SCALE? (I KNOW DUMB QUESTION) I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR APPROX. 45 DAYS, I WORK OUT AT THE GYM 6 TIMES A WEEK BURNING APPROX 400-700 CALORIES A DAY, I AM ALLOWED 1600 CALORIES WITHOUT EXERCISE, AND AVERAGE PROBABLY 1600-1700 CALORIES PER DAY. I AM 39, FEMALE AND WEIGH 252 LBS. I HAVE LOST 8.5 POUNDS SINCE I BEGAN. WHAT SHOULD I BE CHANGING? AM I ON THE RIGHT TRACK? I WEIGHED TODAY AND HAVE LOST .6 POUNDS IN 2 WEEKS. HELP!! I HAVE CHEATED AND GONE OVER MY CALORIES 3 TIMES IN MY 45 DAYS AND NOT WORKED OUT6 DAYS IN 45.
  • sunshinestate
    sunshinestate Posts: 110 Member
    I would skip dinner. Just drink a lot of water and have a small, high protein snack if you are hungry later.
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Deffinatley eat. Maybe just trim cals from next cpl days. It will all balance out.
  • migallen
    migallen Posts: 13
    I had a full lunch yesterday, so I didn't even eat dinner, no problem. I would agree with the others, if you're not hungry, then there's no need to eat dinner. If however you feel hungry later, maybe eat a sugar free jello, something very low in calories.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Have some steamed veggies. Just a bowful if you're a bit hungry. Mmm. If you're not eating tonight, then just be prepared to have a large breakfast tomorrow... whenever I pass over dinner because I'm full I eat a huge breakfast the next day! Yum!
  • amtrust
    amtrust Posts: 178
    Thank you, Everyone!
    I appreciate all the responses!
    I definitely over-indulged today....and exercised plenty to try to counteract it.
    I won't be over-indulgent again for quite some time!
    =)
This discussion has been closed.