Lunchtime Workout

Options
For all the working professionals out there, do you fit in a workout at lunchtime??? if so, what exercises do you do? Do you keep items readily available for clean up (clothes, deodorant, makeup/hair supplies) afterward??

Replies

• ScubaAmyMN
    ScubaAmyMN Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I try to go for a walk over lunch pretty often. I either go to a local park or a community center nearby. I keep headphones, spare shoes, socks and roll-in deodorant (it won't melt in the summer) in my car. I also have some extra layers in case I venture out in the winter, and a bag with yoga pants, a sports bra and a t-shirt in case I want to go to the community center and actually change clothes. I've also found that wearing a wicking tank top under my clothes makes it a lot more comfortable when I get back to work. I don't push it so hard that I'm a sweaty mess, but it still helps.

Then I throw my hair back again and reapply a little make-up. Fortunately my office isn't too fancy, so it's acceptable if I look a little rosy in the cheeks.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I'm a sweaty mess after working out. There is absolutely no way I can work out on my lunch break.
  • jessiewalters86
    Options
    The only time through the week I can work out is on my lunch break. I get 1 hour, so I quickly change clothes at work, go to the gym, and change clothes when I come back. I am currently doing couch 2 5k. I should say the gym is super close to where I work though. I keep deodorant, body spray and such at work. I don't sweat enough to re-do my make-up though, so that is not a problem.
  • catrunsintowindow
    catrunsintowindow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I do yoga at lunch sometimes. I keep my mat, yoga clothes, dry shampoo, and deodorant under my desk at work, and I don't push myself so hard at that that I'm crazy sweaty after, just nice relaxation/get some blood flowing.
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I am a sweatting fool during a workout..no way to do that during a lunch break without a full shower so if I need to get out I will go for a stroll....nothing to break a sweat - just enough to wake everything up a little.
  • Blue_EyedGemini
    Options
    I try to do lunchtime workouts 2 or 3 days a week so I'm not at the gym until 7:30 p.m. every day, but it's tough. I sweat a LOT, and my workouts are usually intense (HIIT, spin, BodyPump). I have a gym bag that I keep packed: towel, baggie with travel body wash and loofa, flip flops, and deodorant. I shower at the gym. It's a ponytail day after that, though. Sometimes, I'll make time to redo my hair or makeup, but usually I just wash my face and go on with it. I don't wear much makeup anyway, so I'm not sure it makes much of a difference. I love knowing that I'm done with my exercise for the day, but sometimes it's such a mad rush. Worth it, though, since it helps me get in my 5 days.
  • scastillo06
    Options
    I recently started working out during my lunch hour. I stick to cardio for 30 minutes and then go shower. I pretty much get ready all over again at the gym. They make it easy because they provide, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, q-tips, lotion, razors, etc. Lunch time is pretty much the only time I can squeeze in a workout. My husband works nights so it's my only option since I have to pick up our three kiddos. Get a workout in when you can if you want to see results :-)
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I'm extremely lucky where I work now--- they have a small gym facility complete with men's and women's locker-rooms. I usually run outside for a quick 25 minute run outside (I live in San Diego, so lucky for me its usually nice all-year) or use an eliptical machine....... and then use the remainder of my time to quickly shower (just rinse off my sweat) and blow-dry the sweat out of my hair and then reapply some make-up. The items I bring with me in my dufflebag: towel, shower shoes, makeup (my extras that are getting low---I use those for touch ups after my workout), deodorant, travel size blow drier (just to simply dry the sweat out of my hair), body spray, facial cleansing wipes, and travel size lotion.

When I didn't have a locker room available to me at my last job--- the closest gym was 5 miles away and didn't make sense to travel. So, I would still run on my lunch break during the summer and would use the bathroom facilities to freshen up. Instead of showing I would use cleaning wipes (or Huggies) to simply wipe the sweat off my body (to avoid breakouts) and then my hair would get spritzed with some water. I'd reapply make-up if necessary.

Good luck to you! I love working out on my lunch break---even as just a stress reliever from my day. I also work out at night...but since I work at a desk job it is nice to get out of the office and be active for a bit mid-day. And on Fridays when I know I won't have the enery after work for a workout, I can at least do it on my lunch break.
  • magmary7
    Options
    I work out 5 days a week at lunch-time. I walk there (8min), 3 minutes to change,15 minute strength training, 23 min elliptical, 3 min change and 8 min walk back. I LOVE it. I have deodorant and body spray. My hair is kind of messed up but.... its worth it.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I work in an office and walk one mile or more in my office hallways in 20 minutes during my lunch hour. I brought my tennis shoes and socks and keep them in my office and daily bring my iPod and HRM watch to use while walking.
  • carrow04
    carrow04 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The gym has been soo packed during this busy season. I work downtown and it's also where my gym is located. I used to go in the morning right before work. I've noticed that even the mornings have been getting busy as well. There is absolutely noo going after 5pm. I'd have to fight the people that have already hopped the curb to park in the grass. I took an early lunch (11am) today and went. It was absolutely perfect. Fewer people than even at 5am. Sooo...i think maybe i might make it a regular thing.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm very lucky to have a gym within my office building - only £10/month as well. :noway:
    I eat while I'm at my desk so I can usually train there 5 times a week.
    Mixture of low & high intensity cardio, circuits, free weights, machines and bodyweight exercises.

It's not a big or posh gym but it means I can free up my evenings and weekends.