TDEE Question

Options
Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1732
Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1984
Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2237
Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2489
Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2742

So this is what I have worked out. I want to lose 28lbs roughly. I do 30 day shred 5 days out of 7 along with other bits of exercise thrown in there. I thought I would come under moderately active, should I take off 20 or 30% I will thinking 30% to start with to see how I get on - Giving me a daily calorie intake of 1566, Am I calculating this right?

Replies

• krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Take 20% off... don't limit your cals too much. 30 is defeating the purpose

I did 20% from moderately active and it shows 1790 cals
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Id take 15%, and expect slow but effective results. If you dont see results at 15% then you can up to 20%. 15% gives you more room to wiggle in my opinion.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1732
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1984
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2237
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2489
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2742

So this is what I have worked out. I want to lose 28lbs roughly. I do 30 day shred 5 days out of 7 along with other bits of exercise thrown in there. I thought I would come under moderately active, should I take off 20 or 30% I will thinking 30% to start with to see how I get on - Giving me a daily calorie intake of 1566, Am I calculating this right?

Everything I'm reading says 15-20% off your TDEE. I think 30 is too much.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I think that sounds like a good number. I usually maintain on about 1500 before exercise cals. Also about 100 g net carbs. Anymore than that I tend to put on weight. I have a standing retail job so for lighty active it says my maintenance is about1700. However calculators are just estimates. U ultimately have to learn through trial and error
  • amielu
    amielu Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I really don't get the whole TDEE recommendations. If I ate as many calories as it calls for I'd gain 3-4 pounds per week.
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I really don't get the whole TDEE recommendations. If I ate as many calories as it calls for I'd gain 3-4 pounds per week.

Doubtful
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Being as the 30DS is only 20 minutes a day, you might want to consider readjusting your activity to light (depending on what else you have thrown in there)

I would do light, minus 20%, putting you at 1587.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    TDEE-20% is the standard (others choosing less as they are closer to goal)

I have been using a Body Media Fit Link to go through my TDEEs and come up with a good average...and for me my average TDEE is 2500 calories (this includes all daily activity including exercise).

20%=500 calories thus 2500-500=2000/day TOTAL calories (not NET). I currently have my Net sent to 1700 but always watch my total calories and my macros.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options

No, you probably wouldn't :) I've been eating over 2000 cals and am losing consistently and I'm not hungry. It's brilliant, the whole starve yourself to lose weight is on it's way out!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

Really, because you would need to eat 3500 over what your body uses a day to gain a pound. Doubtful

Chances are you have been eating too little, causing problems when you do eat more. Eat AT your TDEE for a few weeks to reset. I've been there and done that.
  • amielu
    amielu Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    TDEE tells me to eat more than twice the calories I eat now and I am trying to lose.

How did you do it and at what point did you start losing?
  • kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options

No, you probably wouldn't :) I've been eating over 2000 cals and am losing consistently and I'm not hungry. It's brilliant, the whole starve yourself to lose weight is on it's way out!

Gotta try it! Like the guy said...you do loose weight! I loose weigh eating at 1600 calories a day and my TDEE is only 2000. When i went by MPF settings, i wasn't loosing anything because i wasn't eating enough! I originally put on weight but once it starts coming off its very steady!
  • kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options
    TDEE tells me to eat more than twice the calories I eat now and I am trying to lose.

Well if you want help figuring it all out i can help you!

i started out at 131. once i started eating TDEE-20% i originally put on almost 2lbs. My weight stayed higher for two-ish weeks. However, once i got on the scale 2 weeks after starting, i had lost 2lbs from my original starting weight! So id say two weeks? but you have to see how it works for you.

Remember, you need to give your body enough fuel to run properly and so that when you do loose weight, you loose fat, not muscle. And a low calorie diet, or a 1200 calorie diet, doesn't do that.
  • katisere
    katisere Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Great thanks for the advice everyone :)
  • luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm trying this out for the first time this week. 20% off moderate tdee gave me 1700. Hoping it works! I usually work out 5 days a week for 45 - 55 minutes. Fingers crossed!
  • Lovable12
    Options
    How do you figure out your TDEE????
  • CdnArtyWife
    Options

Well if you want help figuring it all out i can help you!

i started out at 131. once i started eating TDEE-20% i originally put on almost 2lbs. My weight stayed higher for two-ish weeks. However, once i got on the scale 2 weeks after starting, i had lost 2lbs from my original starting weight! So id say two weeks? but you have to see how it works for you.

Remember, you need to give your body enough fuel to run properly and so that when you do loose weight, you loose fat, not muscle. And a low calorie diet, or a 1200 calorie diet, doesn't do that.

This happened to me. Also I've been an on-again-off-again member of MFP for about 6 months. At first I ate the 1200 that MFP suggested. I was hungry all the time and felt really deprived.

I got a BodyMedia Fit for Christmas and then did the calculations from there, like someone up thread did.

Now I eat approx 1500 daily and my restart weight was 210.4, I went up to 211.8 after the first week but weighed myself yesterday morning (forgot to log it) and I'm 207.4! So eating more certainly works! I also have more energy, so I'm moving around more too.

When I ate only 1200 I felt so lethargic and tired all the time.