Cross trainer / eliptical trainer help please!

Options
Hi, I’m new to this website and to dieting and exercise in general (REALLY STRUGGLING) and I have a little question.

I have a cross trainer (elliptical trainer) that I’m trying to use every day in my quest to become less of a fatty. It has a function on it that tells you how many calories you burn in each session but the calories it says I burn is way less than when I enter the information in here.

I’m not sure which is right.

EG. 20 minutes of cross training according to my cross trainer burns 54 calories but this site says it burns two hundred and something.

Somebody help me….I’m worried I’m missing out on valuable calories that I could be eating!

Replies

• monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    unless your cross trainer has a function that allows you to enter how much you weigh, the calorie count on MFP is probably more right. (that being said, they're both an estimation, not an exact number. MFP is just probably a more right estimation than the trainer that doesn't calculate your weight into it)
  • Chadandbradsmummy
    Chadandbradsmummy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ooh that is good news! Maybe I'll work out an average between the two.
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I do 20 minutes on an elliptical and the calories burned are in the 200's on the machine's readout (I enter weight) and on MFP. It sounds like your machine isn't calibrated correctly.
  • Chadandbradsmummy
    Chadandbradsmummy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Oh really? That is good news then!

So if I burn off 200 calories does that mean I can eat those calories?

I know that sounds stupid, I just want to make sure I'm doing this right.
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you burn them you should eat them to reach your weekly weight loss goal, your body needs the fuel and it's a nice little reward for going to the gym.
  • elaineirene84
    elaineirene84 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have always found that MFP estimates calories higher than what my HRM calculates. If you don't have a HRM just take some off of what MFP estimates for you.
  • Misseena
    Misseena Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I always err on the side of caution and use the lower number. I'd rather underestimate than overestimate.
  • ipiddock
    ipiddock Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    There are many variables to consider. MFP does not cater for any of them. So don't believe MFP in my opinion. If your cross trainer can record your weight then it will be more accurate than anything else. The variables are time, weight and resistance on most machines.
  • rea1980
    rea1980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    When I started working out MFP was always high on the calories, based on my calculations for the elliptical, however after I got into better shape and I was able to dramatically increase my strides per minute on the elliptical it became a lot more accurate. For me I found MFP is pretty accurate as long as I am doing about 190-195 strides per minute, without holding on to the handles.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Get a Heart Rate Monitor. Best investment ever!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    600 per hour is much more likely to be a good approximation if you are getting up to a decent level of exertion.
    You will see a lot of people on here swear by heart rate monitors to give you a more consistent idea of calories burnt.

And yes - eat back your exercise calories. Your weight loss calorie deficit is built into your net daily target.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I vote for the HRM too. But to find out which number is more accurate right now, you can take your heart rate for a guesstimate:

Find your pulse on your wrist or neck and count the number of beats for 15 seconds. Multiply that by 4. Do that a couple of times throughout your workout, and take the average. Then plug that number in here: http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

Make sure you follow the directions for net calories instead of gross calories since MFP's already calculated your base activity level.
  • HardRockCamaro
    Options
    My elliptical doesn't allow input of height, age, weight etc although it has a heart monitor but I think that's for my benefit, not for its calculations.

I use an iPad/iPhone app called BeatBurn which tells me what resistance to set and how long to run for and at what rpm (I just use the RPM reading on the machine to do what BeatBurn is telling me). Beat Burn does ask you for your height weight etc.

A 30 min fat burn session on BeatBurn says I have burnt may say 355 cals whereas the machine says only 240. MFP says way more than that but of course has no concept of how hard I'm working etc so I ignore MFP. As the machine doesn't know my age, height and weight I also ignore that and use the figure from BeatBurn less 10% or so to make sure I'm not over estimating.
  • craigy_84
    craigy_84 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

^^^ this

I usually burn around 240-280 cals in 30 minutes (according to my HRM) yet the machine says around 50 calories more.

But yes invest in a HRM.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

Truth, its as accurate as you can get, MFP way overestimates and dont forget as you get used to an exercise you'll probably burn less based on your heart rate output.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    For your immediate calculation... I do 30 minutes on the Precor Elliptical and depending on how hard I push myself I burn anywhere from 250 (easy day) to 350 (kicking my *kitten*) calories. This is figured with my HRM.

You look like you could POSSIBLY have around the same stats as me.
  • RachelBiancaxx
    RachelBiancaxx Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have a cross trainer too... it tells me i burn rediculously low calories. I use a heart rate monitor to be sure and that tells me i burn quite a bit more than MFP says. However... MFP is probably a closer estimate than the machine xx
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Wow, my elliptical (which is a Nordictrac) will show 1000+ calorie burn for a strenuos 45 mins workout...my HRM will show about 450-500. I don't trust the read outs of any of the machines if you don't enter your weight and stuff. I've noticed the equipment at the gym that ask for that info is usually pretty close to what my HRM says. Good luck on your journey...you're gong to do great!
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    If you really want an elliptical workout that could kick your *kitten*, throw in some deep squats and a dumb bell or can in each hand if you are at home. The stability you have to use in your core to stay stable and upright will be worth your first few wobbly sessions while you get used to it.
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    I noticed that My Fitness Pal overestimates calories on the elliptical..I use a heart rate monitor with heart rate and calories..it's extremely accurate..more so than the machine itself. Today on the elliptical, I did 45 minutes. The elliptical said I did 479 calories. My heart rate monitor watch estimated 401. I rather underestimate, so I'll go with the more accurate measure. It's a great investment.