YIKES! Does it really have that much sodium???

Options
Does 6oz of raw skinless/boneless chicken breast really have 885 mg of sodium??!! I feel like this is wrong, but that's what MFP says.

Can anyone recommend brands of low sodium meat and dairy for me please?

Replies

• BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    No, not even close. Are you looking at an entry with a star in front of it? If so, it's user entered, so you have to keep an eye on things to make sure they aren't entered wrong. It should have more like 85 mg of sodium. I like to double check NI at calorieking.com for items that don't have nutrition labels.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Love, don't worry about non added sodium which you cant control anyway. I can suggest boars head low sodium cold cuts as absolutely delicious and can tell you that in our family we prefer the low sodium cold cuts taste as wayyyy better! True!
    Oh, and cheese too.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Some chicken breasts in the supermarket have sodium, and quite possibly other stuff added. If this is just generic raw chicken then probably not, and the sodium is probably around 100mg for 6oz.

But another question to ponder is, does it really matter? Most people will receive no benefit from restricting sodium.
  • seventieslord
    seventieslord Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    does it say it's seasoned? is there salt in the ingredients? does it taste salty? if so, that's probably close to accurate.

When I ate meat, the bozes of chicken breasts I bought had that much sodium. I always bought them seasoned. Not sure if you can get them unseasoned. The fresh ones, I guess, would be unseasoned...
  • lovelee79
    lovelee79 Posts: 362
    Options
    Just says natural, no added anything. So yeah I see that 885mg is way off! thank god! :)
    wow....I've been using the same chicken entry on here for over a year now! damn!

I worry about sodium because it bloats me up, my body holds onto too much water. And also for blood pressure and heart health.

Thanks for your advice everyone :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Chicken manufacturers sometimes use a chlorine bath to kill salmonella, and then inject the chicken with brine (called "plumping" I think) to mask the taste of leftover chlorine in the chicken. It wouldn't surprise me if that sodium count was right, actually.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    DRINK WATER!!!!!!!!!!!
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    DRINK WATER!!!!!!!!!!!

Why? Because of some misguided belief that it will remove sodium from your system?
  • hajenkatt
    hajenkatt Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine was diagnosed with a heart condition and had to severely limit her salt intake while they got her back on track. I learned from her that the majority of chicken breasts in regular grocery stores are indeed "plumped" with salt water/brine, and I believe at the time, the only place she was able to find true no-additive chicken was at Whole Foods. This was about two years ago, so major chains may be doing a better job of stocking just chicken instead of improved chicken. :)
  • lovelee79
    lovelee79 Posts: 362
    Options
    A friend of mine was diagnosed with a heart condition and had to severely limit her salt intake while they got her back on track. I learned from her that the majority of chicken breasts in regular grocery stores are indeed "plumped" with salt water/brine, and I believe at the time, the only place she was able to find true no-additive chicken was at Whole Foods. This was about two years ago, so major chains may be doing a better job of stocking just chicken instead of improved chicken. :)

Thanks so much! I'll check out Whole Foods for sure.

The chicken I eat is from Fred Meyer, its called Simple Truth Organic Chicken Breast. I just found out it has 75mg of sodium per 4oz. (...I guess I wasn't paying much attention to labels. oops! Feeling pretty silly right about now!)