Goal weight?

Options
So frustrated! I am 5'3" and to have my BMI be "appropriate" I would have to weight about 120. That is just not comfortable, attractive or healthy to me. I have always been athletic and my most comfortable weight range has been 127-134 (sizze 6). Currently, I am at 148 (size 8-10). I feel like I am totally stuck! Is my comfortable/goal weight range reasonable?

I run four times a week (at least 3 miles each time), eat healthily - am currently on the Harcombe diet - lost no weight. Unfortunately, I think my killer is that I have begun the menopause process.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• glennaparks
    glennaparks Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    For sure! We're all built differently. I'm 5'7", 134, but am a bit chunky for my build. It's all about what makes YOU comfortable. Good luck :)

Oh, and my goal weight is 126. I got there this fall, and then, you know....THE HOLIDAYS.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    130 gives you a healthy BMI for your height. Are you going for a healthy BMI or an aesthetically ideal BMI?
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    idk i weigh 154 stuck for a month now...im 28yrs....i was at 1200 bumped it up to 1300. i lift weight cardio ect my goal weight is 135ish i would NEVER EVER want to be 120ish. mostly because i have more of an athletic shape (like urself) not much, actually no butt or hips. great breasts and thighs. so i have to work with what i have. at 120lbs i am pretty sure id look like a 13yr old boy. smh ur goal weight is ur goal weight! :) good luck!!:smokin:
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and currently weigh 162 lbs. Same height as you but weigh 14lbs more and am in the same size. Size 8. I haven't lost any weight in the past 6 weeks, however, I have lost 3% body fat (that's 10lbs of fat) during that time. In 6 weeks I've lost no weight overall but lost a clothing size.

Although my goal weight is 140 (which BMI says is overweight) I am not worrying about getting down to that number on the scale. I'm focused on reducing my body fat which is now 31% (within the average range). BMI has me 2 steps away from being obese and I will never fit into it's "healthy" range even when I get to my goal body fat rate of 26% because I am very muscular.

Do you look good? Feel good? Is your body fat acceptable? Are you toning?

IMHO we focus way to much on that scale number and your health/success is SO much more than that.

(edit for some obvious typos!)
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    What BMI are you lookin at?
    The one I'm lookin' at says you're good at 140 = 25 BMI.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    So frustrated! I am 5'3" and to have my BMI be "appropriate" I would have to weight about 120. That is just not comfortable, attractive or healthy to me. I have always been athletic and my most comfortable weight range has been 127-134 (sizze 6). Currently, I am at 148 (size 8-10). I feel like I am totally stuck! Is my comfortable/goal weight range reasonable?

I run four times a week (at least 3 miles each time), eat healthily - am currently on the Harcombe diet - lost no weight. Unfortunately, I think my killer is that I have begun the menopause process.

Any suggestions?

Oh, I see. 120 is the middle of the RANGE for your height. It's not the "appropriate" weight. There's no such thing.

First of all BMI is BS & second, even if you wanna USE BMI, anything from 105 to 140 is "normal" for your height.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    The BMI is seriously not accurate. In the last 6 weeks I dropped a size from lifting (yay!) but the scale has gone up a pound or so. Are they suggesting that my body weight with more fat than muscle was healthier? Check out www.fat2fitradio.com and they have body fat calculators that use measurements so they are more accurate.

Don't let it get you down :)
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    BMI doesn't take into account muscle. At my fittest (many, many years ago) I had low body fat >20%, but a BMI that indicated I was overweight.