TOM question for the gals

Options
I have had a Mirena IUD for almost 3 years. After the first few months I did not have a period, except for a little spotting here and there. Well for the past 2 months I have gotten my period. I mean the cramps, PMS, bloating and heavy bleeding. I have totally changed the way I eat and am exercising regularly. My questions is, has this happened to anyone else? I have talked to my doctor and he assured me it was fine, but I'll be honest with you, I just don't like it! I had gotten way too used to not having a period. If this has happened, did your period taper back off after a few months?

Replies

• tammytoeller1
    Options
    I wasn't on the IUD but was on DEPO for 3 years, man after I stopped I have been in a world of HE double toothpicks. My period are heavy and I cramp like crazy and have bad headaches. My doctor said the only thing I can do is go back on birth control which really sucks! I thought that with working out may-be they would lighter up a little, but it got worse 3 weeks ago I have a cyst that rupurered man that wasn't fun at all but me back a week to boot. Excedrine the headache medicine one helps me a little bit, but other than that I have to suffer through it.
  • amandabackinshape
    amandabackinshape Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's the same with the IUD, but I'd assume it would be...Changing your diet or excercise amounts can def mess with periods (even on the pill). You will probably go back to your normal everything soon, as your body adjust to it.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I also have the Mirena, almost 4 years now. I havent' had any change in anything, I still don't get periods. I do get a little cramping, but only for a couple hours. But nothing has changed since I started running or changing my diet.
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I LOVE MIRENA!!! I had it for bout two years (recently removed for baby makin purposes :wink: ). I stopped my period after the first cpl months, with light spotting maybe every other month. Never had regular period while on it but perhaps you getting a regular one means your body is regulating itself. I know when i was at my heaviest, over 300#), my period was crazy, missing, late, super heavy etc. Now that I am smaller they are not as heavy (thank God) and I can set my watch to them:tongue: . I would give it some more time. Maybe it's just a temporary hiccup due to stress, or new routines. If they get worse or become more painfull than what you recognize as "normal" then maybe another trip to doc may be in order.

Good luck!

-Mel