New and Breastfeeding

Hey! I was just looking to get some new friends that are in the same boat as me. I'm breastfeeding/pumping and my son is 5mos old. I just started MFP this week. It's hard for me to not see those lbs shredding off but I don't want to threaten my milk supply. I'm 165lb and 5'2". My goal is about 1500 calories but I give myself about 500 back for the day just with Bfing. I'm finding I'm starving! But maybe my food choices haven't been the greatest. I haven't lost or gained.

Please feel free to add me. I need to the support!! Either someone experienced with losing weight and breastfeeding or those who are in the same boat :)

Replies

• Anyone breastfeeding?
  • I'm not in the same situation as you...yet. I've breastfeed before and I lost 97 pounds last year but not at the same time. I completely understand what your going through with "starving" while breastfeeding. I'll be breastfeeding in May after I give birth and losing weight at the same time...hopefully. For me, eating a lot of Turkey sandwiches on Wheat bread while breastfeeding really helped. I was pumping about 6 ounces out of each breast every 2-3 hours.
  • curlyslim
    curlyslim Posts: 64 Member
    Hiya!

I gave birth about 6 weeks ago, and know its time to think abotu losing weight.

I need to lose about 35lbs, and really disliking being bigger! And i exclusively breastfeed and need ideas on how to go about it, as I am starving all the time!

I drink loads of water, but still very thirsty too!
  • GoffGirl1029
    GoffGirl1029 Posts: 93 Member
    hi! I am mommy to an almost 10 month old son that I still breastfeed. I lost 30 lbs in the three weeks after his birth, but have gained about 20 of it back due my ravenous hunger that came with breastfeeding. I started MFP about a month ago and have lost 9 lbs, but I have noticed a decrease in my milk supply if I only eat the number of calories that MFP suggests for me, plus I also work out which adds to the calories I need to be eating. I would suggest adding about 500 calories to whatever the MFP suggestion is for you.(I believe I've read it takes about 500 cal/day to breastfeed.) Make sure you are drinking plenty of water as well. Best of luck to you and congrats on your baby!
  • Kaali1985
    Kaali1985 Posts: 41 Member
    For those ladies breast feeding, search it as a food. It allows 500 calories and adds them to your total so it makes sense properly.

What I would suggest is drinking plenty of water, and try to eat.a nutrient rich diet, really do try not to eat loads of crap. X

And if your milk supply starts to suffer up your calories a little. X
  • GoffGirl1029
    GoffGirl1029 Posts: 93 Member
    Whoopsiess, I completely missed your first post! Ok, so as far as calories go, you've got it right! And before I started MFP, I was eating whatever the heck I wanted, which usually meant worthless calories. But a couple weeks ago, I started Weight Watchers as well, and that has helped with my food choices being healthier. I eat a lot more fruit and veggies, and chicken, I loooove baked chicken. I've noticed my hunger isn't nearly as bad as it was. Also, having a small baby made it difficult to eat regular meals, so I'd skip a meal or two, then eat us out of house and home in one sittin'. I know it's hard, but make sure you're takin' time to eat regular meals and then healthy snacks in between meals. If I eat a big(ger) healthy breakfast, then I'm not as hungry throughout the day and usually make better food choices.
  • liap
    liap Posts: 13 Member
    Hi! I'm not breastfeeding but I had my second son nine weeks ago and also trying to lose baby weight! I will add u as I need some friends too!
  • Hello,

I have a 7 week old who is breastfed, I also lost weight whilst bf'ing my 2 year old.

I found for me, that exercise helps. I'm lucky in that nothing really affects my supply (I just feed more) and I'm doing the 5:2 diet and I exercise daily, usually just 20 minutes interval training where I can squeeze it in (I have 3 kids under 5!).

Weight Watchers and Slimming World are good for bf'ing mums. Also, get a 2litre bottle of water and make sure you drink it daily.
  • nmullins81
    nmullins81 Posts: 35 Member
    I'm not breastfeeding any more, but I found that when I had a high protein breakfast it made me less ravenous throughout the day. Make sure you are keeping healthy food around so you cannot even make the bad choices. Maybe splurge on some already cut up fruit or veggie trays- I know it is so much easier to eat when I don't have to prep it.
  • I too am breastfeeding my 8 month old and DO NOT cut calories too much or your supply will suffer. Nourish your body with tons of meat, veg, fruits,etc to keep up your supply. And WATER WATER WATER!!
    I didnt' know you can add breastfeeding as a "food" to allot for cals...i wasn't eating my calories from nursing b/c i figured I wasnt' burning as much as nursing a new born. I only nurse 4 x a day.
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Hi, I too am breastfeeding. My little one is 9 months old and eating my TDEE less 20%. So around 1900 cals. I am losing at a nice rate and feel like that's a good number but I do worry about not eating enough, eating to much, etc. It can be tricky. :)
  • tschaff04
    I too am breastfeeding my 8 month old and DO NOT cut calories too much or your supply will suffer. Nourish your body with tons of meat, veg, fruits,etc to keep up your supply. And WATER WATER WATER!!
    I didnt' know you can add breastfeeding as a "food" to allot for cals...i wasn't eating my calories from nursing b/c i figured I wasnt' burning as much as nursing a new born. I only nurse 4 x a day.

If your little one is eating solids then yes, you probably aren't burning as many calories as a little one who is just nursing. My little guy is 9 months old but still only nurses, no solids or other foods of any kind. So I still take that into account as if I was nursing a newborn.
  • tschaff04
    Hello,

I have a 7 week old who is breastfed, I also lost weight whilst bf'ing my 2 year old.

I found for me, that exercise helps. I'm lucky in that nothing really affects my supply (I just feed more) and I'm doing the 5:2 diet and I exercise daily, usually just 20 minutes interval training where I can squeeze it in (I have 3 kids under 5!).

Weight Watchers and Slimming World are good for bf'ing mums. Also, get a 2litre bottle of water and make sure you drink it daily.

I agree, weight watchers is great for nursing moms because it takes the guess work out of figuring out what you should eat to not affect your supply. I did WW with my second child that I breastfed until she was three. I love that MFP is free but I do struggle to find that "right" number.
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Still nursing a 19mo old here. Only 1-2x a day, so I don't eat extra calories for it- its for her comfort and routine more than nutrition. But I do wonder if my body isn't holding on to extra fat to make up for it. Only weaning will tell, but by the way she screams BOOBIE immediately after she brushes her teeth... may be a bit yet.
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    I'm still nursing a 19 month old too! He still drinks 3-4x a day and 2-3x at night (we co-sleep). However, he's not getting a whole lot per session anymore, and like duckiec, it's really more for his comfort/satisfaction at this point because he also drinks plenty of regular milk. I started on MFP and with exercise when he was 1, and I didn't have any problems with my milk supply.
  • gracelynnsmomma
    gracelynnsmomma Posts: 1 Member
    Hi. I'm new to myfitnesspal and I am also breastfeeding exclusively (a 3 month old bright eyed girl) right now. I lost my baby weight from breastfeeding before my six week check up but I wasn't in the best shape before. One of my goals is to get healthy for my baby girl. Anyone feel free to add me I feel like breastfeeding mom should stick together lol. One of my questions and a big concern of mine is just how you guys find the time to exercise? Gracelynn is a momma's girl for sure and my husband works 3rd shift so he can't really help me with her. How do you guys exercise, breastfeed, fix dinner and keep a clean house? I love breastfeeding but man it is time consuming.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Breast feeding my one year old :)
  • Mommysarus
    Mommysarus Posts: 14 Member
    I am breastfeeding my 3 almost 4 month old exclusivly as well. I've lost my baby weight, however I am working on flattening and toning up my tummy now. =)