Exercises to prepare for soccer

Options
Now that I'm 50 pounds down from my peak weight (:smile:), I can start to think about getting back out on the pitch and kicking the ball around without killing myself in the first five minutes. :laugh:

I've been doing weight lifting and cardio for about four months now, and I'm probably stronger than I ever have been, and my stamina is definitely better--but soccer, especially my preferred position in the midfield, takes a lot out of you.

What are some good exercises that I can mix into my regular routines to help get me ready for playing soccer? My cardio is a mixture of bike/elliptical/treadmill, with a focus on interval training (two minutes at "rest", two minutes at progressively higher resistance/faster speeds). My mile run has come down to under seven minutes, but I haven't actually got on and just ran for 30 minutes.

I've also been doing some box jumps to help with my explosiveness to hopefully help with that quick first step.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Replies

• KevinLamb77
    Options
    I don't play, but my kids do. I ref though, and to get ready for the season and to become a better ref I have done the c25K program, and my kids are doing it too. Espically for a midfielder, the endurance you will build from the distance running will help a great deal. And it get's your thighs used to the impact easier than just going out one day to run for 30 minutes. Good Luck.
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Look into speed, agility, and quickness training (SAQ). Good luck!