Alcohol and dieting, advice?

Options
So I'm looking for some advice here, I'm 21 years old first off, and I'm finding myself in the same dilemma every weekend..whether I should workout more or eat less just so I can go out and drink..I know that the healthiest choice would be to just cut alcohol all together but I don't see that as being an attainable goal for me at this time..so I'm looking for advice/suggestions from anyone that may be in a similar situation..how much is an ok amount to drink, what would be the best thing to drink, and should I be eating less to save calories for my drinks or is that even less healthy? Anyone who has any input on how to balance dieting and my current social life would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    How much you can drink varies from person to person. I have eaten less/exercised to save calories for alcohol. If you don't set a limit for yourself beforehand you will probably drink too much. There is another post very similar to this about weekends so there may be more suggestions you want to look at there :)
  • melissaann009
    Options
    Thanks! I will check that out :)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Alcohol hinders your bodies ability to process fat. It's a fact, google it. So, drink less. I don't know why abstinence is always off the table for people. But, whatever. The answer is easy to me. Drink less or none. Those are your options.
  • nicosuave2013
    nicosuave2013 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am a "pub child". My dad owns 4 british pubs. Im scottish. drinking is and has been in my life forever lol.
    Anyone who knows me knows im a drinker and that i love going out and socializing etc.
    I HAVE NOT HAD A DRINK SINCE JANUARY 6TH. (program started jan 7th)

The way I see it...i want to lose weight as safely and quickly as possible. It is a slow, progressive process. Alcohol is going to delay results. I am not saying I will never drink again (that is unattainable for me) BUT i am committed to this program and losing weight so have to make the sacrifice!!! I will allow myself a night out every couple of months or something.

IT CAN BE DONE!!! TRUST ME IF I CAN, ANYONE CAN!
  • MikeBenWilliams
    Options
    This blog may help. :)http://thedormdiet.com/alcohol/

Go to the bottom of the blog for strategies with drinking and maintaining a great figure.
  • gimmegimmemoar
    gimmegimmemoar Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking WAY less.. Possibly because since I've lost almost 40 lbs drinks hit me a lot faster. I actually order a water in between two drinks to the next- I tend to get full from the liquid and my wallet is saying "Thank you!" :) But overall I'd try to cut back on it!
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    anyone else having a hard time giving up alcohol Try this topic from earlier today which has lots of input/advice that should help you on your journey. You're not the only one with this issue/question!
  • saraaaf
    saraaaf Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 23 and I have the same problem. I usually go out around 1-2 nights a week and drink quite a lot. I tend to stick to vodka with diet soda. While I know alcohol has definitely hindered my progress, it is unrealistic for me not to drink. My trick is to try and eat less during the week and treat booze as my "cheating".

Even drinking 1-2 nights a week I still have seen great progress! I've dropped from a XL to a L/M top and size 20 to 12/14 bottoms in 6 months.

Also, dont forget to resist drunk food! Buy pickles and eat those if you tend to get the drunk munchies!

Oh and I should add that the more weight you loose the easier it is for you to get drunk so be careful aha you won't need as much to drink. I tend to forget this!
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    So I'm looking for some advice here, I'm 21 years old first off, and I'm finding myself in the same dilemma every weekend..whether I should workout more or eat less just so I can go out and drink..I know that the healthiest choice would be to just cut alcohol all together but I don't see that as being an attainable goal for me at this time..so I'm looking for advice/suggestions from anyone that may be in a similar situation..how much is an ok amount to drink, what would be the best thing to drink, and should I be eating less to save calories for my drinks or is that even less healthy? Anyone who has any input on how to balance dieting and my current social life would be greatly appreciated!!

Seriously, if you are trying to choose between nutrition and alcohol, you just might have a problem with alcohol...
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Bump, would like to know that too.

I guess just exercising more would do the trick though.

Drink back the burned calories instead of eating them back haha.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Once you see the pounds come off you find yourself motivated to keep going. I cut way way back, from nightly to once a week. I have a beer once a week, if we go out I'll have 2 cocktails, but it's in moderation. I'm also at the stage of enjoying the drink and company, not pounding them back like I did years ago.
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    I would say..just stop drinking. You don't really need to drink, it's not great for your liver. A glass of red wine at night may have a vasodilation effect...meaning it will widen the blood vessels allowing blood to flow freely and even helping with headaches or any kind of constriction in the blood vessels. But things like beer make you feel bloated, margaritas have too much sugar. I would just quit any alcohol. It's too risky to get dependent on it anyway. And if you "have" to go out and drink, limit your drinks, and try to exercise enough so that the drinks won't count against your total calories. But I would hate to work out just to have extra drinks.
  • Pokermom10
    Pokermom10 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^ Hear hear!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

Seriously, if you are trying to choose between nutrition and alcohol, you just might have a problem with alcohol...

A lot of people have a problem with alcohol...just like some people have problem with chocolate or salted items...or cutting or anything else that they may have a problem with,

sometimes asking for help gives other people the chance to give advice?
  • marta07
    marta07 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    im also 21 and every weekend i love to go out with the girls to the club. i usually drink but since i started mfp i say no. i just stopped drinking and yes i am tempted but i rather have good health. and i feel way better now that i dont drink. hope this helps :) you can always cut back on the liquor if you dont want all those calories. its all up to you and your will power
  • aadutton
    Options

self-righteous much?

as with anything, just try to moderate. drink a glass of water between drinks.

i remember when i was your age, there was this mentality that every night out was going to be the most awesome night ever. if i say no, i might miss something amazing. believe me, you won't miss anything by saying no once in a while. and it makes the nights out that much better when you do have them. small changes my dear.
  • laurenellenmarie
    laurenellenmarie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I doubt she has a problem with alcohol. She's 21. It's what 21 year olds do. That being said, I'm 23 and still drink all the time. I've still lost weight just not very fast. Depends on how quickly you want to lose weight. I can't drink every day anymore like I used to but I can on the weekends and once in a while during the week. It's helped me to log what I'm drinking before I drink it. Good luck.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    drinking's unhealthy as It is, but it's nice once in a while. I know, you're 21, finally able to do it. I envy you. I was prego at 21. but I've been doing some research and reading all kinds of books to get me going. just finished the biggest loser, and they give a guide to drinking. 12oz reg beer has about 150 cals. a shot 1.6 oz of 80 proof has about 100, and a 5oz glass of wine (unspecified red or white) has a bout 100. also explains how drinking increases appetite and can make you over eat. also heard that vodka is pretty low cal.
  • psfr
    psfr Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    She's 21. It's not choosing between health and alcohol, it's balancing healthful eating with a social life. At that age especially, it's difficult to have a healthy social life if you abstain from alcohol (though certainly not impossible).
  • jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^ Hear hear!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

This is what I do!