Caved...

Options
We have a very kind woman at work who loves to bring in treats which is thoughtful, but also drives me nuts! I am great at avoiding the kitchen 99% of the time, but today I caved. She FILLED the freezer with my weakness, Dove chocolate covered dark chocolate ice cream bars. I had one. I tried so hard to avoid it and failed.

Feeling ashamed and fighting off unhealthy thoughts (purging, avoiding diner, etc...)

Replies

• justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    It is okay to have a treat now and then. Add a little more exercise in the next few days and watch your calorie intake a little more closely. Remember its a lifestyle change, so unless you are never going to have those again you need to figure out how to incorporate them into your life sometimes.

Just make sure you enjoy when you do and don't feel guilty.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Maybe she isn't all that kind. :wink: But seriously....you didn't "cave". You had a treat (unless you cleaned out the whole freezer by yourself). Don't beat yourself up. Just log it and move forward.
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    It's life. Don't feel ashamed. You shouldn't be 'dieting' the rest of your life, but living. A piece of chocolate isn't going to kill you. It's just an occasional treat.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Maybe she isn't all that kind. :wink: But seriously....you didn't "cave". You had a treat (unless you cleaned out the whole freezer by yourself). Don't beat yourself up. Just log it and move forward.

100% This ^^^^^ :happy:
  • lauractemple85
    lauractemple85 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I live in NYC and people are always bringing cupcakes from "Crumbs Bakery" (an amazing place) to the office. Avoiding them is almost impossible. For a long time I couldn't NOT have one. I always gave in. When I was fed up with my lack of will power, I started to ask myself a series of questions when these thoughts or cravings happen...

1) How did this craving come about? Did some mention this food or bring it to me?
    2) Why do I want it so badly? Am I bored? Tired? Sad? I don't want to be mean by rejecting it?
    3) Can I only have a controlled portion of this food or is it one of those where I'm likely to binge?

Don't feel bad for caving every once in a while. We need certain vices to make life worthing living sometimes. If your cravings last for a long time (you just can't get it out of your head) just go ahead and eat it; because most likely you'll find foods to fill that craving and still not be satisfied. You'll probably end up consuming more calories then if you just ate a little treat in the first place.

Don't purge! Just admit you caved and make the rest of the day count...it's not over yet!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You had *one*? I am proud of you for stopping at one!

Will it fit in your calories for today? If not, will you still have consumed less than you need for maintenance? If you answered yes to either of these questions, you are still golden.

If you answered no to both questions, ask the same questions for the week.

If you still have only no, you just need to plan better, there is no reason to eliminate this kind of thing from your life completely!
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I agree, it's important to allow yourself a treat occasionally without feeling bad about it. The good news is you just had 1, which is a proper serving and not a binge. Just log it and carry on.
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    No more guilt, 1 treat when you have avoided so much temptation on other days. Go for a good walk tomorrow and your back on track x
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    One is not so bad, and is really a normal way of eating if you don't do it too often (and don't have a blood sugar issue). You can probably fit it into your calories for the day.

Quite often I'll eat something and then think "oh, my day is ruined, I'll eat everything in sight," but if I log what I ate it is never as bad as I thought.

Take a deep breath and let it go. Enjoy the treat, and have a healthy dinner.
  • MisConway
    MisConway Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I sincerly appreciate the support and encouragement, thank you! I am 13 pounds from goal and also leaving for a FL vacation on 2/12, so I have really been putting the pressure on myself lately. I am at a little over 1200 for the day, and burned 431 in exercise this am. We are going out to dinner tonight for my father in law's birthday and I alread planned on ordering broiled fish, so I will probably try to stick to 1/4 to 1/2 of dinner. BUT, I think I should probably go without a glass of wine, dammit!

Again, thank you!
  • Overboard_Eater
    Overboard_Eater Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I totally understand why you are upset. In your head you didn't want that treat. I am sure you know that treats are ok but you DIDN"T want this one. Try not to punish yourself. That will not accomplish anything. You are human.

This happens to me at work all the time. Sometimes, I will allow myself to enjoy the treat by fitting it into the day, sometimes I have the willpower to not want it and to not eat it, and sometimes I "cave" like you did. But I always log it, reflect on it and try to plan try to do better next time.

My advice, log it and move on. Try to think of a game plan for the next time this happens. Maybe write down how you are feeling at this very moment and keep it somewhere close by.

Don't dwell on it! That isn't healthy, and I'm sure you are trying to be healthier.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    one is just fine. log it and move on. You can't cut everything you love out of your life forever and you can't feel like you've failed everytime you have something 'imperfect'

learn to live with the new you
  • AngelStage
    AngelStage Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel also. I was actually just about to post my own topic when I saw this one. I just caved myself at work. I bought starburst out of the vending machine and while that may be a treat, it put me very close to the end of my calories for the day and I still have dinner to get through tonight. I have less than 200 calories left and all I can think of is that the meal my husband and I have planned out is over 300. I'm thinking about doing some jumping jacks when I get home lol. Really I feel better after reading all these replies and I'm doing a 5k tomorrow so that should help out too.
  • KevinLamb77
    Options
    If I didnt allow myself those "treats" then I would not have had the ability to stay with this long enough to lose 117 lbs. This site is about tracking, not exclusion, unless you're one of those "clean foods only" freaks :noway: The reason you track everying is so that you know what you need to do to either earn your "treat" or work if off when you have one unplanned.
  • KevinLamb77
    Options

Go Blue!!