Inches are dissapearing!

I am down in inches! I am thrilled, because i focus more on inches lost than pounds lost. It's nothing huge, but it's a start and that is what counts.

Since I've gained all of this weight over the years, I've struggled with staying focused because - and this sounds goofy - I've never FELT like I'm big. I mean, I look in the mirrors at home and I can tell that I'm not a healthy weight, but I never felt like it. It's almost as if I was surprised to see my reflection staring back at me.

Until recently.

In the past 6 months, I have really started to force myself to see that I am NOT at a healthy weight. Sounds harsh, but it's what I needed. I needed to break through that wall in order to get myself in gear. And now that I am doing cardio classes, I REALLY notice! I mean, I'm dancing around like an idiot in a room that has mirrors on three of the walls - you can't NOT notice your body!

So as hard as it's been to come to grips with this, it's a good thing. I'm just focusing ont he day to day wins (inches gone!) and my end goal. :)

Replies

• emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    The wake up for me was when the wii fit gasps like you're crushing it, and goes "oh MY, that's OBESE!!!!"

I felt horrible and realized I wasn't carrying 'just a little extra weight.' I checked what I should be and I was 80 pounds over weight... I hadn't realized because, like you, I didn't feel all that big :p

Gotta LOVE wake up calls :p
  • Congrats on the loss in inches! I'm going 3 months between measurements but I can't WAIT to re-check my measurements in the beginning of April. I know I'm building muscle...because I can feel it aching after this week's heavier workouts. I had the same sitaution with being big. I know I'm big...at my heaviest I was 130 pounds over a healthy weight for my body height, but I had grown blinders and saw the good things about me instead of letting myself see the bad. It wasn't until I bought my house in 2011 (which happens to have a full wall of mirrors in the bathroom) that I forced myself to really look at what I was. I could no longer just see the intelligent, funny, sarcastic, independent girl inside...I had to look at the outer shell.

Great job girl! Keep up the great work!
  • Oh, the Wii and I were going to have some words! Thanks virtual trainer - you have just made me feel worse about my weight and you're not even real! Ha.
  • Agreed - while it's great to realize the good about yourself, it's also important to see the not so good and accept it...and then change it! I think a lot of people hear the "don't lose your self-esteem" pep talk so much that they completely shut out any negatives. And sometimes a few negatives are healthy for you since it makes you more aware of your true self.

Deep thoughts on a Friday afternoon. Ha.
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Yes! Focus on the positive! Yesterday I went to the doctor and they weighed me with all my clothes, jacket, scarf, and shoes on! It was at least 6 pounds heavier than when I weighed myself in the morning! (and about 8 pounds heavier than this morning!!) I was so annoyed, but was mentally preparing myself for it before the appointment. On top of it all on my office visit report my doctor wrote down "overweight". OUCH! But then the doc told me that a recent study showed that people with my BMI (about 27) actually lived longer....hmm?. So even though I know that I need to lose weight it hurt seeing it written down like that and actually hearing some say "you're overweight". I'm incredibly frustrated because I've been trying to lose weight for the past year!

But...then I got home and looked at myself in the mirror and though "No. I look good!" Even though I haven't lost weight in the past year I turned fat to lots of muscle and lost about a size and a half! I get compliments all the time on how attractive and fit I am (I'm in the dating pool *sigh*). After a few minutes of admiring myself in the mirror in my new Victoria's Secret bra I put on my workout clothes and went to the gym and sweated like a pig for over an hour! Take that, fat!! lol :smile:
  • gracesway
    gracesway Posts: 9 Member
    I am so glad you posted this! I had the exact same 'ah ha' moment happen to me about 6 months ago. People ask me what happened to jump start my diet and when I tell them "All of a sudden I realized I was fat and unhealthy... and that food was an addiction" I get a round of 'what? no you're beautiful' and 'life is about more than being skinny' (like I'll ever qualify as "Skinny"). These comments sort of made me question my own self esteem, like maybe I was being too harsh on my self.

I finally found a group of friends that support my weight loss and fitness goals... but it is alway nice to hear that someone is in the same boat as you.

Congrats on the inches lost!
  • I love it! I have no desire to be "skinny" because I know what my body can look like when it's healthy - I was there once! Ha. And it is strong and fit and curvy in the best way! I just keep that mental picture in my head whenever I want to binge. :) And don't worry about the doc - they are just that little reminder that we need to see ourselves more clearly. Keep it up!
  • My blog is titled "On the Road to Skinnyville" but in actuality, skinny is not something I desire to be! It was just a funny name. It's nice when people compliment you when you're not really feeling 100% about yourself, but only YOU are going to be able to determine when you are comfortable in your own skin. :)
  • The wake up for me was when the wii fit gasps like you're crushing it, and goes "oh MY, that's OBESE!!!!"

I felt horrible and realized I wasn't carrying 'just a little extra weight.' I checked what I should be and I was 80 pounds over weight... I hadn't realized because, like you, I didn't feel all that big :p

Gotta LOVE wake up calls :p

Every morning when I use my Wii Fit to weigh myself, and it says, "That's obese!", I yell back, "I KNOW!"