Adrenal fatigue - Help

Options
According to the doc I have adrenal fatigue does anyone have any tips for me or has had it before? Is there any foods I shouldn't eat?

Replies

• bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Go easy on anything that is a stimulant. Sugar, caffeine, etc.

Get plenty of sleep every night. Carve out time for yourself for relaxation. Spend about 3 hours before bed away from electronics, computer screens, phone screens, tv, etc and do something like read or take a nice bath instead. What you really need to do is rest and avoid overstimulating your nervous system.
  • beckystahnke
    beckystahnke Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have it and my doctor (ND) recommended the anti-inflammatory diet. There are lots of different ones out there, but this one is pretty specific. Here's a link to a similar diet: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/elimination-diet

The elimination diet will eliminate a lot of foods that can aggravate adrenal fatigue. By limiting these foods you allow your body to heal itself naturally.

Also, you may want to consult a doctor - but there are a lot of adrenal fatigue supplements out there that could help. B vitamins are good for natural sources of energy - don't rely too heavily on caffeine as it can further stress your body (large amounts can).

Hope this helps...!
  • stephfranke
    stephfranke Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I had that a long time ago..... now to try and remember what I was taking to help the support. I know I was on a list of special vitamens to help it along. It did take several years before I could go off of them and not drop. So it could be a long road back, but it is doable. I also ate alot of foods with iron and protein in them. Okay - one of the vitamens that I took was by AOR - advanced series, ortho adapt - adrenal glandular support. It is available in Ontario. Not sure where you are from. Good luck and keep up the fight to good health. You can message me /or friend me if you have any questions, etc. (just leave a note of who you are, so I know when I friend you!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    First... let me say, "Wow, I'm really sorry."

Been there. Twice.

They always told me to avoid caffeine (I was never legal to drink alcohol when these times happened, but I'm sure it's safe to say that alcohol would be good to avoid); caffeine can rev. up cortisol, which you don't want as your adrenals repair.

Talk with your doctor; mine had very regimented plans to work through it, as it's a year+ long process to fully recover from.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    My understanding that some extra minerals is good.

Feel better soon
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster who recommended B vitamins. B vitamins and magnesium as well will help keep your nervous system calm as you heal your adrenals.

I've been there, it's no fun! I am still recovering from adrenal fatigue but am feeling much better after a few months of self care.
  • Hennipenny
    Options
    mmm i think being caffeine free is going to be my biggest challenge :S
  • Hennipenny
    Options
    First... let me say, "Wow, I'm really sorry."

Been there. Twice.

They always told me to avoid caffeine (I was never legal to drink alcohol when these times happened, but I'm sure it's safe to say that alcohol would be good to avoid); caffeine can rev. up cortisol, which you don't want as your adrenals repair.

Talk with your doctor; mine had very regimented plans to work through it, as it's a year+ long process to fully recover from.
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You have my empathy. I quite easily find myself in that state if I'm not careful. There is a lot of good information on the web for it these days.

Let your body recover. Supplements of vitamin B, a goof multi, and kava. As statred above, avoid caffeine and stimulants. Alcohol too. Plenty of rest. Moderate exercise, as you dont want to tax your body too much. Avoid stress like its a virus.

Avoid electronic stimulation close to bed time, hot baths with salts at night , and then good sleep even if you have to use supplements. Get up and go to sleep at rreasonable hours.

Treat it like its exhaustion. Rest and relaxation is the cure. Reset your body back into a natural rythym. Good luck!
  • Hennipenny
    Options
    Wow a year to recover. Sounds like I've got a long road ahead.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Have you had labwork to check your cortisol levels? I needed low dose hydrocortisone while my adrenal glands recovered. It took me 2 1/2 years to step my way down off of it.

As already mentioned, get sufficient sleep, this is extremely important. Take extra care of yourself if you get sick. Be kind to yourself and restructure things to reduce your stress level. If you get fatigued, don't ignore it and think you can just push through it, you can cause yourself to relapse. And plan on a long gradual recovery.
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    Options

It is a very individual process. I recommend focusing on the victories of recovery rather than projecting results as it only adds stress.
  • jennalor
    jennalor Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Here is a great book I picked up. Very informative.

Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome by James Wilson.

Best of luck to you and hope you have a quick as possible recovery! :flowerforyou:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Don't worry! Everyone is different. Mine was very, very severe the first time; I almost died. The second time, we caught it much more quickly, and it didn't take AS long. Mine were all caused by thyroid related problems (severely underdosed, then severely overdosed). I didn't mean to scare you!

Cortisol is just a tricky thing; keep positive and follow your doctor's guidance, and you'll be feeling better much sooner than you think.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    eat more, sleep more, exercise less.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Maca root.

Get some. Even at the bulk barn
  • Hennipenny
    Options
    Luckily I have no problem sleeping. But when I get sick, I get really sick. Last time my body wasn't responding to any of the treatment. It was very scary. I feel I'm heading to that point again. Thank god its a long weekend so I can just relax and sleep.
  • FitChicMelissa
    Options
    I work specifically with Adrenal Fatigue and Thyroid issues with my clients. I would be happy to send you my most recent TeleClass about Adrenal Fatigue and what to do to help yourself. You can listen to the replay (the class was held two weeks ago) if you would like the information you can email me at healthyhealinghabits@gmail.com. You can check out my website www.fitchicmelissa.com for more information. Good luck!
  • kusterer
    kusterer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have had this condition for twenty years, probably as a result of chronic stress over the previous twenty years, according to my endocrinologist. If I were you, I would see an endocrinologist.

Like a diabetic, I monitor my symptoms and take prescription hydrocortisone pills every day, a minimum dose every day, raised on days when I am sick, more physically active than usual, or more stressed. In my case, my adrenal glands' "fatigue" is not a temporary tiredness, they have lost their ability to respond to the hormones that are supposed to activate them. I was actually surprised to read of so many who had this condition and then recovered.

I also take some of the anti-inflammatory vitamins and supplements mentioned by others, and follow a variant of Dr Weil's anti-inflammatory diet.

Good luck and good health to all who have been dealing with this condition!