I totally fell off the wagon..

Options
And gained almost 20lbs in such a short space of time as well! I'm so ashamed of myself, all I ever did was sit around eating take aways and junk food and not working out, and my weight crept up to the heaviest it's been since I was about 16! I'm determined to start again though, so have been eating healthily for the past week, doing cardio, cutting out my coke addiction (that one has been hard, since i've quit smoking too!) and snacking when I need to but not taking it over the top. I've also started the 30DS again to help me lose inches - I found out my thighs were 28 inches and literally cried, so i've been feeling rather good (despite ashamed) about myself!

Replies

• AshleyVeronica
    AshleyVeronica Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am RIGHT there with you. I fell right off the wagon and gained about 20lbs (it seems) in a rather short amount of time too :(
    So trying to get back on track and start going the right way - losing rather than gaining weight - but it sure is hard right now! I struggle, because it seems like no matter how long I stick with it, eating good and exercising, I just can't feel natural about it. I always still feel like I am "dieting" or "limiting" myself. It's not like I am depriving myself when I do! I am just being aware of the choices I make, and being sure to pick the right ones. So I shouldn't feel so much like its work, but it just does! I always feel like it will take a year or more to finally feel like its just a natural way of living for me, but it is HARD to go that long feeling like I am constantly working my butt off just to be healthy. I wish I could just wake up, eat and be active, and not have to constantly scrutinize it all, wondering how many calories are in food, how much I have taken in or burned that day, how much sugar and fat and fibre or whatever is in something, etc. I wish I could just not think so much about it, but continue making the good choices, and still lose weight. Instead I have to know EXACTLY what I am doing to lose. Why can't I just eat a whole wheat, tuna sandwich with a bottle of water, and know that I would lose weight? When I try that, I end up still gaining. Because who knows how many calories were in that sammy, or how many I had burned that day, etc. Or why like most others, can't I occasionally have a "treat" and not be ruined by it? I feel like I shouldn't have to track it all - people in the old days didn't do that. They just ate good foods and weren't lazy. So why is that so impossible for me? But here I am, yet again, trying to get back onto that wagon too. So frustrating falling off :/
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Did it hurt?!
  • AndreaMerrill
    AndreaMerrill Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You guys can do it and so can I. It's extremely easy to fall off the wagon when life throws you curveballs.
    It's about changing our eating habits in the long run. When you fall off the bike you get back on. Just keep going:-)
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Its ok dear. you can't change the past, so start right now!
  • JG1088
    JG1088 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I totally understand this. I was doing great for awhile and then started going out with friends, slacking on gym time, etc. If you need support feel free to add me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing great! One piece of advice I'd like to offer is to make sure you treat yourself once in a while. Don't make your diet so strict that you can't sustain it long term. And don't make your exercise routine so rigid that you never take a rest day. You seem to have a good plan, but leave a little wiggle room for pleasure too.

Good luck to you!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    At least you want to jump back on! I hope this gives you some great motivation to motor down the road to happy and healthy :)

At least it is only 20lbs gained and you have the means and methods to get there and you will love yourself for all the hard work.
  • AmyS1975
    AmyS1975 Posts: 143
    Options
    I gained 55 after losing 80 in 2007/2008. I am back on the right track since April 2012 and have lost 48 ln since. If I can do it AGAIN, anyone can. Life happens! We live, we learn!
  • awidener86
    awidener86 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've gained about 5 lbs since Thanksgiving.. It don't seem like much but it seems like when I get rid of that I gain again. I recently quit smoking also and I'm kicking my mt dew habit. So I feel ya there. Have you tried gum or mints? I personally like the lifesavor mints I am like a grandma lately and ALWAYS have a handfull of mints in my purse. lol
  • QuickShot18
    QuickShot18 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I suppose I feel off, too. i was doing great & burning fat, this is up until last month or two. Went through some serious crap & gained weight like a maniac. You're taking a great step in trying to regain your health! Keep it up(: I'm doing the same. Been eating right & trying to workout (haven't got a chance this week). I managed to loose 3 pounds this week,
  • es214
    es214 Posts: 41
    Options
    Every day is a new day.
  • anoette
    anoette Posts: 29
    Options
    Like hell, FitBeto! :laugh:

It's horrid because I want to eat ALL the time now i'm not smoking, but i'm pushing through it. I'm determined to fit in (and look good in..) a bikini at some point this year or the next! I don't often have the motivation to eat most of the time so I'm pleased i've somehow got into the habit of eating three meals a day instead of eating junk once a day and snacking on crap for the rest of it. As for water.. I hated water. Now it's growing on me!
  • mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you darlin for getting back up and starting again!
    We never fail until we stop trying!!!
  • davekellyroberts
    Options
    that's funny I always think I am the only one who feels exactly like you just said I think it like dr oz said the other day its a mental problem that must be solved first
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Another day ALIVE is another chance to do better.. Keep positive!!

YOU CAN DO THIS! and We'll all be cheering you on! :drinker:
  • PatKay1
    Options
    Hi, I'm Pat. This topic is dear to my 71 year old heart. I am a sober alcoholic with 34 years of sobriety. When I was 4 years sober, I stopped smoking, and often times it seems like food is the only thing left. For years, I maintained my weight at about 15# over my goal. Then a few months ago, I went totally off the wagon, the horse, everything. I have been on one food program or another my entire life. It would be great if I could abstain from food the same way I did with drinking and smoking. But no, it seems if I don't eat, Ill die, or something. I feel very precarious this time. It's clearly one-day-at-a-time. But I'm trying to do it differently.

Pat
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Just get back on the wagon. The longer you stand in the same place, the further away your goal gets. One of my MFP shared her new mantra with me: Little Changes. One thing at a time, as long as it helps you get to your goal.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    If your doing coke, you should really cut out the cardio and go to a rehab center. Worry about the other stuff later, you just need to bring things in perspective.
  • welshwoofer
    welshwoofer Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm in exactly the same situation - have completely given up over the past 2 or 3 weeks if I'm honest with myself.
    I feel flabby and sluggish and I haven't weighed because I don't want to know the damage. I first blamed it on PMS and gave myself a week off as I felt so rubbish but it carried on.
    I feel better when I exercise and am in control of my eating so why don't I just do it?
    Madness isn't it?

I've had a day off from work today (its been very busy and stressful lately) and have had a bit of me time and have come to the realisation that I won't feel better, look better and sleep better until I make it happen.
    So its all change tomorrow ...... back on the exercise regime, cal counting again and being more organised with food and time.

Nobody else can do this for me so I just have to get on with it.
    I lost 26 lbs and was at my target weight of 133lbs - I put a few lbs on over Christmas and was around 135 lbs (9st 9) two weeks ago so its not all bad and I know I CAN do it - I just have to do it.

I'll weigh in the morning, do some exercise and plan meals for the coming week. I need to drink more water and less diet coke, have some time away from work and look after myself better.

I'm sorry this has been a bit me, me, me - I didn't really know I felt this until I started writing it!