Sides for Taco Cupcakes?

Options
Thinking of making taco cupcakes for the whole family for dinner tonight, and looking for ideas of a side to go with it, other than some raw veggies. As much as I'd love a bowl of corn chips, I'm trying to be healthier (and save calories for a 170 cal snack tonight!). I'd like something I can have and that my growing boys can fill up on too.

Replies

• cyclist_44060
    cyclist_44060 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I had the same dilemma, ended up serving fat free refried beans, and a salad. The beans were quite tasty and filling. I will be watching your posts for other ideas. Taco Cupcake are yummy, I even has a leftover one for dinner last night :)
  • certifiedsooner
    certifiedsooner Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of taco cupcakes.....please share?
  • devan44
    devan44 Posts: 130
    Options
    Agree with above! Taco? Cupcake? I'm intrigued, lol - please share!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Mexican rice.... Make your rice of choice (I like brown) and mix in some low sodium taco seasoning, diced tomatoes and some black beans. Add some gauc on top if your calories allow. Yummm
  • Andrea419
    Andrea419 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Avocado, black bean, and mango salsa?

Two avocados, chopped
    1 mango, chopped
    1 can low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 jalapeno, chopped
    a couple of sliced green onions
    1 glove crushed garlic
    salt and pepper, to taste
    about 1/2 teaspoon each cumin and chili powder
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Just mix everything together. You can add some corn, too.
  • anewmary
    Options
    I got the idea of this board:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/443384-taco-cupcakes?hl=taco+cupcake

I will probably use less cheese than called for, especially since I have reduced fat, instead of fat free. I will also make a couple with taco sauce instead of salsa and adjust amount accordingly for my picky eaters.
  • basscadet808
    basscadet808 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sauteed spinach
    Quinoa and black beans
    Mango Jalapeno salsa
    Avacado, cilantro, and black bean salad
  • BCinDenver
    BCinDenver Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Black Bean Quinoa Salad

I like it with:

2 C Quinoa, cooked
    1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed
    1 C corn, canned or frozen
    1/2 red onion, large, finely diced
    1 bell pepper, diced fine
    1/4 C cilantro, chopped
    1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
    2 Tbsp lime juice
    1/2 tsp salt

Mix everything together. Obviously this is a really flexible recipe. Omit or add items to meet your (and your family's) tastes. Some diced avocado at serving is pretty delicious. Sauteing the onions and pepper would work (although I prefer them raw).

There are a million variations; they're pretty much all good.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    bump
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    :wink: I love brown rice but Barley has more fiber and less calories.. If you're interested in trying it
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Black Bean Quinoa Salad

I like it with:

2 C Quinoa, cooked
    1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed
    1 C corn, canned or frozen
    1/2 red onion, large, finely diced
    1 bell pepper, diced fine
    1/4 C cilantro, chopped
    1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
    2 Tbsp lime juice
    1/2 tsp salt

Mix everything together. Obviously this is a really flexible recipe. Omit or add items to meet your (and your family's) tastes. Some diced avocado at serving is pretty delicious. Sauteing the onions and pepper would work (although I prefer them raw).

There are a million variations; they're pretty much all good.

I LOVE this suggestion.. sounds wonerful.. thanks for posting !!
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I hate to be Mr. Obvious here....how about more taco cupcakes?? seriously lots of good ideas above
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    there was a recipe for a faux fried rice using riced cauliflower. You could do that with Mexican spices or salsa instead of frying it.
  • TheNEWMonicaB
    TheNEWMonicaB Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Refried black beans... YUM!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Charro beans - less sugar than American baked beans, but really yummy and filling.
  • binkybabe
    Options
    How about some home-baked corn tortilla chips? Very easy & quick to make, and you can add whatever seasonigs you like to the chps. You can count out chips for yourself....and the boys can snack on the rest!:bigsmile:
  • binkybabe
    Options
    Charro beans? That's new to me! I would love to try them....are they found at most grocery stores?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Charro beans? That's new to me! I would love to try them....are they found at most grocery stores?

I moved to Texas from Miami, my idea of what is found in most grocery stores is pretty skewed. Check the beans and the Mexican section. Or just find a recipe online. I won't recommend one because I have never made my own.
  • binkybabe
    Options
    I just wanted to say that I made the taco cupcakes today for the first time.......and they were a huge success!! Took them to the Super Bowl party at our son's house, and not only was it something different......everyone loved them.

One of our daughter-in-laws has to be gluten-free, so I used rice papers instead of wonton wrappers for her cupcakes.
  • frankyk89
    frankyk89 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    bump