Who Do You Trust?

Options
When I log my exercises, I notice a discrepancy between what MFP says should be burned and what the treadmill or elliptical machine says I've burned. Does anyone else notice this problem? Which do you trust?

Replies

• blueboxblues
    blueboxblues Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I notice a HUGE difference between MFP and my treadmill. I go with MFP because I read reviews of the treadmill and people who use a HRM say the same thing (that the treadmill generously overestimates calories burned).

ETA: I'm sure some have this, but my treadmill never asked for my height or weight or any other stats, so there is no way it's remotely accurate.
  • ChubbyMcFatpants
    ChubbyMcFatpants Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    See, I find that the MFP estimate is significantly higher than the machine estimate, even the elliptical, which asks for my age and weight. This is why I'm so confused! I don't want to over-eat accidentally when I'm doing so well using my willpower...
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I usually try to eat back half or less of the calories MFP says. Feels mostly safe that way. :)
  • elaine_des
    elaine_des Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have a body media fit and I found that the amount of calorie that MPF is giving me is pretty close to what my BMF is giving me. I would definitely go with the number from MPF instead of the treadmill
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I usually try to eat back half or less of the calories MFP says. Feels mostly safe that way. :)

Thats a good estimate. 50% eatback at most.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I trust my scale. If it's moving in the right direction, i stay the course. If it's not, i adjust my calories eaten. I never care what my calories burned claim to be. Doesn't matter.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    probably neither
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Trust no one.

The eagles fly at midnight. Pass it on.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    In my opinion the mfp cals burned for exercise are incredibly high as well as ellipticals. I trust my treadmill as i have tested against a hrm.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    When I log my exercises, I notice a discrepancy between what MFP says should be burned and what the treadmill or elliptical machine says I've burned. Does anyone else notice this problem? Which do you trust?

Yes but at my gym I program MY weight MY time and MY speed.. so I believe my machines reading and change it on the MFP entry .. hope that works for you too.

P.S. trust the one that reads the least amount burned .. you can't go wrong with burning a few more calories!
  • OhFitness
    OhFitness Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I only trust my heart rate monitor. I use a Polar HR monitor with a strap. The HR monitors with a strap are most accurate, because they are closest to your heart, which gives the strongest beat. You can set it with your age and weight. Then it will calculate your calories burned based on those factors and the amount of HR BPM. The other good thing about Polar is that their monitor's sync up with most treadmills or other cardio equipment, so it's hands free. I only go with the calories burned report on my HR monitor, and not the cardio equipment itself. I've found this way to be most accurate concerning my weight loss, body fat loss and macronutrient intake variations. It's pretty spot on.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Trust no one.

tumblr_ltc4bl6LDZ1qadupho1_500_zps2ab80da9.gif
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Neither, and I cannot use a HRM. I work on the basis that I burn 200 calories for every 30 mins worked using a cardio machine, but I cannot run on a treadmill which I would imagine burns a bit more.
  • ChubbyMcFatpants
    ChubbyMcFatpants Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Trust no one.

But... But I WANT to believe!!!