protein

Options
I'm finding it difficult to stay below the amount of protein I should have each day. I already feel as though it's hardly any. can I change the amount that is suggested?

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    going over on protein is fine.
  • BByer
    BByer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Depending on your goals, protein intake should be somewhere around .8-1.5g per pound of lean body mass unless you are very sedentary.
  • Smikkelpoes
    Options
    There is no harm in eating excess amounts of protein. Many weightlifters eat up to 3g of protein per lbs of weight.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Some people manually change the settings and drop the carbs a bit to raise the protein a bit. I think I'm at 140 grams a day and I'm trucking along just fine.

Going over a bit isn't bad if you're relatively healthy. Going over by a lot is an issue if you have kidney disease.
  • cvsaunders
    cvsaunders Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, I'll stress less :) I don't have too much more weight to lose and I don't seem to be moving any. Just staying the same weight but not going over my daily caloric intake
  • alvin0012
    alvin0012 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Its fine. It will help you build muscles... more muscles will increase your metabolism... higher metabolism kills off the body fats. :)
  • QuietRain
    QuietRain Posts: 157
    Options
    Yeah, MFP sets the protein too low.
    You can change it manually by going to goals > change goals > custom > and set the the carbs / protein / fat percents to 4O% / 3O% / 3O% [respectively].
  • Copaiba
    Copaiba Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    MFP automatically sets protein at 15% which is fine. Its a very average number. You can go as low as 10% and still be healthy. I lost a LOT of weight doing a high protein/ low carb diet 10 years ago and felt like crap afterwards so now I'm veggie and 15% is high for me and I'm happy. I'm burning fat and building muscle. Most people will tell you to eat more protein than MFP suggests but I'm here to suggest that you go watch "Forks Over Knives" It's a movie streamed on Netflix. It will open your eyes.