Working out and the immune system?

Options
Do you work out if you are sick? (cold/flu)

In particular......What about when you are in a state of "feel bad". You KNOW you are fighting a virus...but you probably could do a work out if you really had to. Do you push and get it done? ..... or hold off another day or two for fear of getting sicker?

Or another way to phrase it..........Will exercise boost or lower your immune system? What say ye?

Replies

• TXGirl821
    TXGirl821 Posts: 115
    Options
    I think it depends on what is wrong with you. If I have chest congestion, cough, or a fever, I rest. Not just for me, but I don't want to infect people at the gym either.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    No. If your body is fighting off a cold/virus, should you also push it to repair muscle? Its a way to ensure that you prolong your illness.

The common wisdom is "if its a headcold, work out; if its the flu, get better", but literally every coach/PT/sports doctor I have every seen has told me not to be stupid and skip working out while sick. You'll feel better for a few hours, then crash and feel worse than you would have if you didn't exercise.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I've heard it both ways. Personally, I don't miss a lift no matter what is wrong with me. That being said I am VERY attentive to keeping my hands laced with sanitizer the entire time I am lifting if I am sick and thoroughly wiping everything I use down, and I do my best to go during off hours when no one is there.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Hard workouts compromise your immune system and will prolong illness. Get better first, then return to exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am fighting a flu virus most likely. I feel feverish, achy. Slight tummy trouble. No coughing yet(though when I do go down I am prone to get asmatic bronchitis...but I am no where near that yet). Slight sinus issues, but not so much I can't breathe easily.

I feel guilty because I could probably handle some time on the stationary bike here at home.... or maybe a Leslie Sansone video or something.

But I am also scared of making myself sicker. It got me wondering which is truly best. I needed to know if I should just suck it up and get it done or not.
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Rest up, get well and go back to your workout when your body is well again.....no excuses for laziness tho !
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Nope. If you think you have a fever then its a sign your body is working hard to fight off an illness. Get some extra rest to let it recoup and do what it does.

I am just getting back into the swing of things after catching a cold and not feeling up to working out for over a week.
  • ChristinaK69
    Options
    I just read in the fitness book that if you have a fever don't work out. If it is above the neck and just a head cold, then workout lightly
  • jflori
    jflori Posts: 25
    Options
    Nope.
  • michael300891
    Options
    If you are currently ill, you should probably avoid exercise because this compromises immunity by shifting the Th1 Th2 balance which can result in your infection getting worse.

Interestingly, moderate exercise boosts your immune system long-term but prolonged workouts such as marathons suppress it.
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don't workout when I'm ill, I don't think it would be a sensible thing to do as your body needs rest to help fight infection. Once you start feeling better gradually build up to where you left off, it can take about a week after you're over the infection to feel completely better. Hope you feel better soon :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    If i think i'm getting sick i rest more and eat more. i don't get sick that way usually.
  • devastation77
    Options
    Yup, be fair on your system. Let it focus on fighting the virus or whatever. And what the lady said about infecting other people, Be fair to the people around you too.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I follow the above/below the neck rule. i.e. if you're only sick above the neck, it's okay to work out. If you're sick below the neck, rest until you fully recover before you train.

above the neck: mild cold symptoms, e.g. dry cough, runny or stuffy nose, etc

below the neck: fever, chest infection/bad cough, vomiting, diarrhoea, etc

your immune system is involved in the recovery process after exercise, so if you exercise when you're sick your immune system is basically fighting on two fronts, and not doing such a good job on either front, so it is important to rest and fight off the infection before working out again.
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'd only ever work out at home if I'm ill because I know better than to spread my illness at a gym.
    If you feel okay to work out, do, but PLEASE don't take your germs outside. I really hate it when people do that.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    If I only worked out when i was well then I'd never get any workouts done.
  • triplearcher
    Options
    Hard workouts compromise your immune system and will prolong illness. Get better first, then return to exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^ What he said, if I am solid in my workout consistency. If I am at a place where I think I might have a hard time restarting exercise after getting over the illness, (and assuming it is not a serious illness), I do a light walk just to stay mentally in the game. Makes coming back so much easier for me.
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I very much appreciate all of the advice.

It seems the overall viewpoint is rest, unless the bug is very light and then only do minimal workouts, nothing too taxing. And of course not going to a public gym.......

Most of my workouts are at home, I hadn't even remotely considering leaving. :-) Thanks again
  • BByer
    BByer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If it is just a cold and you do not have a fever than exercising with moderate intensity will help you fight the virus faster. If you know you have a fever then it is just best to take a break from exercise and rest.
  • alvin0012
    alvin0012 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sleep sleep and rest. Once you are up and running again... it will give you a boost in motivation to go back to the gym!