Guitarists?

Options
2»

Replies

• Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Played off and on for while but I was a lot better with the drums. Played for about 15 years. Up until last year I had a sweet Alvarez acoustic. Someday I'd like to get a Taylor though. Kinda miss it.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I've owned 4 guitars: a cheapo ESP LTD H-50, a Jackson DK2 Dinky that's been upgraded with Seymour Duncan TB-5 Custom bridge pickup, a vintage BC Rich NJ Series ST-III from 1986, and a Dean acoustic/electric. The only amp I OWN is a Behringer 15w practice amp that's pretty crappy. The best amp I've ever had the pleasure of playing through was a Peavey 80w solid state combo amp with TransTube (Peavey's marketing buzzword for whatever means they use to emulate Tube amps in a Solid State). Unless I had the money to blow on an ENGL half stack, which is my dream rig, I'd probably never get anything other than that Peavey amp.

The BC Rich I own is a vintage model from the '80s and it is the third best guitar I have ever had the pleasure of playing through my whole life, with the only better ones being a very high end ESP and a relatively cheap Les Paul style guitar made by Ibanez. In my hands it played better, and to my ear sounded better, than an authentic Gibson.

Though I've never had the chance to play one, I would love a Flying V someday. Preferably an ESP one.

Although my playstyle is nothing like it, I like to "warm up" before I really start getting my jam on by playing AC/DC riffs. I have absolutely no idea why, but warming up with an AC/DC riff really gets me in the mood to start.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I just starting playing about 14 months ago and can't decide exactly what genre to follow. I play a little country, a little bluesand a bit of classical. I love fingerstyle playing. I have a Seagull Coastline CW acoustic, and Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin II electric and would like to get a classical guitar in the next year. Hubby, who has always played, has a Seagull 6 string, 12 string and Richmond Belmont electric. We like to support our homegrown Canadian guitar maker. Check them out. We also have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp.

One thing about sitting down and practicing is that it keeps me from eating.
  • jimbridgman
    Options
    I play guitar, Bass, keys, drums etc... Mostly a guitarist with my own studio, so I write my own stuff.

I have 3 Ibanez RG750s/770s all black with black pickguard, except the 770 which is the charcoal satin finish with no pickguard. All the 750s/770s have EMG pickups in them
    I have one JS1000 in the "black pearl" finish

I have a rack with a JMP1 as my rhythm preamp, and a Bogner fish for my lead pre-amp going through an ADA microtube 100 power amp, and two quadraverb units for effects. All of this is going into a modified Crate 4X12 celestion cabinet with celestion 30s.

This pretty much is my dream setup.

Like I said I write my own tunes that are all instrumental rock guitar. I really am into Animals as Leaders and Scale the Summit right now for things I am listening to.

Here is one of my tunes:
    https://soundcloud.com/james-marshall-9/reign

Jim
  • tynger112
    tynger112 Posts: 351
    Options
    I'm pretty simple, fell in love with the song "I'll be your Lover too" Van Morrison, ill just play it over and over again. Own a fender acoustic, would love to have Lucille....love BB n Clapton and all things Blues.
  • saamantha
    Options
    What I wouldn't give for a Martin.
    I dabble with the acoustic and own a Norman B.. something? I'd love to get something a bit smaller though, as my baby hands don't stretch quiiite enough :P. My favourite song to play is probably Landslide, or anything Stevie.

I post covers on YouTube under the username 'xloveisnot'. Ahh, the embarrassing usernames we give ourselves at a young age.
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I have been playing 16 years. I have 5 guitars.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    hmmm....does a 1920 Gibson A2 mandolin count?
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I'd love to get something a bit smaller though, as my baby hands don't stretch quiiite enough :P. My favourite song to play is probably Landslide, or anything Stevie.

I am the same. :)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm learning to play ukulele. Does that count? lol
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    I dont play very well but I want to and I'm taking lessons soon.

I have an old 1980's strat copy I have pulled apart got new parts for and I am in the process of restoring it. My goal is to play Fearless by Pink Floyd on it one day.

I also have a basic acoustic which I will be learning and practising on while I fix up the electric.
  • ShrinkingShona
    ShrinkingShona Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm a mandolin player tried and true (6+ years), but I also play rhythm guitar when I'm singing melody.
    I have an Epiphone Hummingbird, that is my darling and I love it more than anything. And I also play banjo (don't hate), which is a good ole' Deering Goodtime! :drinker:

You might just be the coolest person on MFP :)
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I've been playing 18 years now. I have a Fender strat that I usually play and I have two of my da's Les Pauls...those kind of just sit and look pretty, it you know what I mean ;)

My playlist literally changes from day-to-day. I have always loved doing my own version of different songs. Honestly, I play to fit my mood.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    when i met my husband he had a couple of guitars. so he used to plug two in hand me one and then start strumming something or other. I'd try to play along or copy or just add to it, and it sounded nice. i miss that. no songs really just horsing around but it was fun and sounded nice, at least to me. don't know what kind they were but he sold them all one day, or gave them to nephews or something, i forget.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    been playing bass for 12 years, play guitar for 10. I only play guitar for fun really, the bass is my main instrument.

MY current setup is :

Fender American Jazz bass (Tuned to A)
    Squire Jazz bass 5 string ( Tuned to G Sharp)
    Markbass Little Mark II amp
    Korg DTR 200 Tuner
    Furman Power Conditioner
    Roadrunner 6 space rack case
    Sunn Beta 2x15 cab
    MXR DI Pluss Pre-amp
    Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal (Modded)

The bands i play in are:

Ellis www.facebook.com/elliswi I do vocals and bass
    Eyes on the Elite www.facebook.com/eyesontheelite I play bass and do backing voals
  • CraigAtter
    Options
    Ive played guitar for 21years and played in a few metal bands over the years. I am currently using an Ibanez 7620 7 string guitar which ive sprayed white and fitted an Dimarzio Evolution pickup in the bridge and as im not in a band at the minute i just have an old line 6 spider 2 practice amp, which to be fair has some killer sounds in it for a practice amp..

Some of my old/favourite gear
    Guitars
    Schecter 7 string fitted with seymour duncan jb and jazz pickups (dont know why i sold it as it was an mazing guitar)
    Gibson SG fitted with EMG 81's
    Amp
    Peavey 5150 mk1 fitted with KT88 tubes and sounded monstorous (and i believe now resides in a recording studio somewhere in europe)
    Pedals
    Marshall blues breaker 2
    Line 6 Modulation thingy for phaseing and chorus
    Boss PW10 power wah
    Boss Noise Suppresser
    Boss tuner
    Boss ME10 (still have 2 of these multi effects units from back in the day haha)

Id love a nice PRS and another 5150 mk1 amp again
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I lost the tip of my left index finger in a work accident in 1998, and haven't played seriously since. I do still goof around with it, especially since my 9 year old son is now learning.

I play a Yamaha RGX420 with 2 humbuckers. Duncan Distortion (SH-6) in the bridge, and a PAF Pro in the neck.
    Amp is a Laney GH50L tube head and a British Spec 2X12 cabinet.
  • CraigAtter
    Options
    I lost the tip of my left index finger in a work accident in 1998, and haven't played seriously since. I do still goof around with it, especially since my 9 year old son is now learning.

I play a Yamaha RGX420 with 2 humbuckers. Duncan Distortion (SH-6) in the bridge, and a PAF Pro in the neck.
    Amp is a Laney GH50L tube head and a British Spec 2X12 cabinet.

You could try modifing a rubber thimble, i believe thats what Toni Iommi did when he lost the tips of his fingers, at least you are still playing.