Left Hungry from my Smoothie :(

Options
This morning I thought I had a really good idea for a breakfast smoothie. However, despite the fact it had an entire frozen banana in it and 6 ounces of Greek Yogurt, I was still hungry. Here's what I put in: 7 frozen strawberries, 2 handfuls of frozen blueberries, the frozen banana, and a individual container of Greek yogurt, 2 kiwis, and an orange. Since it was very thick, I also added a bit of Diet Serra Mist to thin it enough so I could sip it through a straw. It tasted great, but the 462 calories I estimated it to be were not filling for me. Any ideas on how I can make this smoothie satisfy me till lunch? Also, the 462 calories is pushing it. I'd like to keep breakfast under 400 if possible.

Replies

• davidtvlink
    Options
    Personally I am never satisfied with drinking my calories. Always leaves me hungry. But that could just be me. One piece of advice I have is to add some protein powder. You might have to take something out to make it fit your calories. But they say protein is satiating, so that might work.
  • hsmaldo
    hsmaldo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Personally I am never satisfied with drinking my calories. Always leaves me hungry. But that could just be me. One piece of advice I have is to add some protein powder. You might have to take something out to make it fit your calories. But they say protein is satiating, so that might work.

Agree with this. I would suggest eating the kiwis and oranges an hour or two after the smoothie with 1/2 the yogurt. Keep everything else in the smoothie and toss in some ice cubes for additional bulk, but no calories.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Don't drink your calories. You will stay full longer if you eat dense, protein-packed food at every meal.
  • kacysuzanne
    kacysuzanne Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too - my kids love smoothies in the morning and it is so easy, but I get hungry fast. I am going to try berry flavored Kefir (140 calories, 11 grams protein), a banana (105 calories) and some chopped yellow squash as a recipe. It is an easy way for me to add a veggie to all of our breakfasts. If your blender will chop them, you could add a few almonds too.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I use a lot less fruit than that, a bunch of greens (spinach, kale, etc) nuts (almonds, walnuts or whatever) and flax seeds or chia. Gives me protein, fiber and fat to slow down those carbs a little bit.
  • ashtonb87
    ashtonb87 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There are green thickies that you can make by adding oats to your smoothie. check out greenthickies.com
  • semi75
    semi75 Posts: 7
    Options
    I like fruit smoothies for a desert but it didn't take me long to realize they don't fill me up at all. Like most have said, a high protien breakfast like egg whites or egg beaters with low fat cheese with the side of your choice fills me up much better. Oatmeal is another, though second choice for me with some fruit added. On work days I usually only have time for the oatmeal unless I cook ahead of time.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't do smoothies. I bet if you just ate all the stuff you put in the smoothie you would be full.
  • unskinnybop1
    unskinnybop1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i was a smoothie fanatic at one stage. but i stopped because even though they are amazingly nice my i had this subconscious thing i was still hungry because of the liquid form breakfast was in defeating the purpose of a healthy breakfast. Now i stick tto solid foods
  • cielbee
    cielbee Posts: 62
    Options
    I get hungry if I have just a smoothie so I like to keep my smoothies 200 calories or less. That way I can chew on something along with having the smoothie.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the same for me. I'd much rather have something that I can chew on for my meals. I most often eat a high fiber cereal with fruit, and then mix some whey protein powder with the soy milk that I pour on the cereal. That way I get decent protein and fiber to start the day. I have a banana or a handful of almonds mid morning and that comes in around 400 calories for breakfast and the snack.

My alternative is eggs or egg substitute with a slice of reduced fat cheese on a double-fiber wheat bread sandwich.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound right at all for calories.

I make a mean smoothie that keeps me satisfied for hours and tastes like a pina colada.

1 scoop EAS 100% whey vanilla protein powder - 130 calories, 3g carbs, 23g protein
    1/2 cup unsweetened Silk almond milk vanilla - 15 cals
    1/2 cup frozen pineapple - 38 cals
    1 squirt Dasani drops pineapple coconut
    ice
    Total 183 cals and filling
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Way less sugar, more protein, some fat - you had 100g of carbs most of which were sugars so anything up to twenty teaspoons! Consider switching the banana for half or one avocado, sweetened yoghurt for plain cottage cheese OR plain yoghurt plus whey powder. That will save you 40g of carbs/ sugars or up to eight teaspoons. I adore banana but I got much more filling smoothies when I switched them out.

Most of my smoothies are two strong flavoured fruits (mostly berries) and two veggies (spinach or green beans, avocado or canned pumpkin) which reduces the sugars. I tried coconut milk for creaminess and fat but it wasn't rich enough for me, you might like it if you want a thinner texture. Two tablespoons ground flaxseeds are very filling but terrible for texture, not sure if two tablespoons of chia are more palatable.

Other filling lower sugar/ higher protein and fat recipes here
    http://www.marmaladeandmileposts.com/archives/category/food/sane/smoothies
  • siggikoch96
    Options
    That doesn't sound right at all for calories.

I make a mean smoothie that keeps me satisfied for hours and tastes like a pina colada.

1 scoop EAS 100% whey vanilla protein powder - 130 calories, 3g carbs, 23g protein
    1/2 cup unsweetened Silk almond milk vanilla - 15 cals
    1/2 cup frozen pineapple - 38 cals
    1 squirt Dasani drops pineapple coconut
    ice
    Total 183 cals and filling
  • st3f4real
    st3f4real Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist told me to put ground flaxseed in the smoothie. I am never hungry after. We use only nonfat yogurt (Greek or whichever is on sale.) We usually put a banana, an apple and/or whatever fruit is seasonal. We just mix water in ours because milk and juice add too much sugar. The fruit has plenty of sugar.
  • siggikoch96
    Options
    You must make sure to give your stomach some fiber, why no add some extra to your smoothie.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    That smoothie was over 80g of sugar which probably caused a blood sugar spike followed by an insulin surge, followed by low blood sugar which causes hunger and cravings.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I have smoothies every day for breakfast. I use a ripe banana most days, with about a cup to a cup and a quarter of other fruit. I use 6 oz of plain fat free Greek yogurt and a cup of Lifeway Kefir. At first it did not satisfy my hunger all that well. It does now. It took a couple months, really. I used to have a half serving of very dark chocolate with it (and coffee, but recently switched to tea). I have recently started having the chocolate as part of my snack for work. My smoothies range from 350 to near 500 calories. I can give you many recipes if you wish.
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yeah you need something more filling other than just fruits in your smoothie. I make a wicked one that I find filling: one banana, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 T honey, 1/2-1 T of almond butter, 1/4 cup of raw oatmeal (really surprisingly yummy), ice cubes. 230 calories and satisfying. I will double the portion size if I'm particularly hungry and it would still be under 500 cal.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Also, my smoothies average about 60g carbs and 30g protein, so it is a good ratio. The dark chocolate is great if you wish to add more fat, and it helps with nutrient absorption.