Do I go by MFP or the gym machines?

Options
According to MFP I would have burnt off 75 calories in 5minutes of working on the elliptical trainer today but on the gym machine itself its says I burnt off 46 calories.. this has been happening for things like the treadmill etc. what should I go by? MFP or the gym machines? It makes me think that exercise classes and weight training doesn't burn off as much as MFP says either :/

Replies

• sarahmartin2013
    Options
    bump- I'm also curious.. same thing happens to me
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    judging by the machines I use...the 46 is probably more accurate. Does your machine have inputs for weight and age? That helps with accuracy. MFP is a little....over-optimistic with calorie burns.
  • jlfoster0427
    Options
    I would go by the machine its better to underestimate than over estimate calories burnt. I think MFP always overestimates my calories burnt.
  • akkimberly
    akkimberly Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I go by the one that has the lowest calories lost. I'd rather underestimate my calories burned than over estimate them. I'm sure there's a better way to log, but this has worked for me.
  • twilighter95
    Options
    Yeah i'll do that for machines thanks! :) but what about exercise classes? what should I put down for them since MFP overestimates it?
  • taytay9955
    Options
    for classes I do a google search for calories burned and shoot for the low end , it seems to work ok. another option would be to borrow someones HRM for a class to try and get a better idea.
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate moniter. MFP is way off. MFP says I burn over 300 cals doing aerobics, hrm says 120 :)
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    What I usually do personally is go by the machines at the gym (though I'll only bother with their numbers if I can input at least my weight) and subtract 20%.

Often on a 15 minute elliptical session I will end up between a 245-260 calorie readout so after my 20% reduction it usually goes between 196-208 calories for the 15 minute period (I feel I can trust it because I do the elliptical at a very high intensity, usually my heart rate is in the mid-160s and up).
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I would go by the lower number, but also would highly recommend investing in a heart rate monitor. I actually burn more than what MFP says when I walk, run, or do machines at a gym which explained a plateau I had (where I wasn't eating enough). The only things MFP overestimates for me is biking and circuit training.
  • luperaz
    luperaz Posts: 26
    Options
    I would like to agree with everyone that mentioned about using a HRM. If you are really serious about working out and losing weight. the HRM is the single most important thing you will need beside recording everything in MFP.
    A HRM is the only way to know pretty close to what your calories burnt are. Everyone is different and a lot depends on your metabolism and fitness level. I always record 10% less calories than what my HRM says just to make sure I have a hidden buffer.
    For me on average I normally burn about 10 calories every minute when I am decently exerted. Some machines are less and some are more depending on exertion levels.

Hope that helps.
  • deb3690
    deb3690 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Most of the machines will tell you what the mets (effort) value is...you can adjust that to your weight and have a closer estimate

...use mets x weight (in kg) x time (portion of an hour) x .48

Exercise for 30 minutes at 4.1 mets that's 4.1 x 62 (for my weight) x .5 x .48 = 61 calories

there are lots of web sites with suggested mets values for specific exercises...or it will pop up on the machine with a readout