Sore muscles

Options
My muscles are so sore from this week. Is going into the gym every day actually helping them? Right now I just have pain specifically in my upper arms and thighs. I just feel sore when I try to lift and squat and I don't actually know if that is benefiting me or not?

Does anyone have any good suggestions of stretches or a way to make my body less sore?

Thanks
KZ

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water, lots of stretching and light activity will help work out the soreness.
  • maa59115
    maa59115 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's called DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness), some people get and some people don't. You have to be able to work through the soreness. After a couple of weeks your body should adapt and you should be less sore. Get plenty of sleep as well. BCAA's (Branch Chain Amino Acids) are supposed to help with soreness, you can find em cheap on bodybulding.com if you're interested.
  • imcatbear
    Options
    First, you shouldn't be training/targeting the same muscles every day. Every other works well. Not allowing the muscle to heal fully will increase your chances of an injury.

The following works for me, but as with everything, your mileage may vary.

Second, walking about 20 mins after weight lifting will work the lactic acid build up out of your body better than if you just stop and sit for the rest of the day.

Third, eating a snack with carbs post work out will provide your body with more energy to heal itself.

Fourth, before working out try to eat something heavier in protein than carbs or drink a protein shake. I'd say an hr or two before your workout.

drink lots of water and get plenty of rest
  • ktdidit78
    ktdidit78 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water, lots of stretching and light activity will help work out the soreness.

What she said.

If you're in your first few weeks of heavy workouts/lifting, you can develop an overuse injury. Drink plenty of water, do plenty of stretching, and take a day off from lifting and do something lighter.
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everybody else on here has said. Also, if you have extra calories for the day, have an extra Cinch shake. The ingredients in it are designed to help your muscles recover... it has some of those amino acids.