What do you use BMR for?

Options
I was playing around with the tools on the site, and there is a BMR calculator which tells you the minimum number of calories your body would need to survive if you just rested all day. What do I do with this information?

Replies

• getphysicallyfit
    Options
    It gives you a base line of your caloric expenditure and is an estimate. What you need know is your Active Metabolic Rate. I have my clients wear a heart rate monitor watch that also gives you your caloric expenditure.

Here is a bit of information for you. If your attempting to lose weight you need a deficit in your caloric intake right? Well your expenditure can very from day to day and to keep is simple i utilize three numbers

1. BMR - being a lazy behind (which is okay when your recovering from a work out)
    2. AMR - in this case just your caloric expenditure from your normal daily activities
    3. AMR2 - how many calories you burn when you exercise

Now based on what day it is you can either have a caloric intake of 1, 2 or 1+3 or 2+3 minus a certain amount of calories to have a caloric deficit.

This causes your metabolism to constantly switch up instead of just saying "my caloric intake daily is 1800 calories"

This I find most effective in helping clients reach goals of dropping body fat % and increasing lean muscle mass. Hope that helps.

Get Physically Fit, LLC
    "Live Long & Healthy"
  • SkinnyOJ2010
    Options
    It stands for Basel Metabolic Rate, also known as RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate)
  • PurplePumpkin
    Options
    As mentioned above, it's the very base amount of calories you need to live.
    The BMR is what you need to consumer if you wanted to maintain your weight, IF you were LYING IN BED ALL DAY.

Please don't mistake this for the amount of calories you need to consumer to maintain your weight now, as you need more because your not lying in bed all day!!