Help! Is my dog is starvation mode?

Options
First off I admit that I have a spoiled dog. He usually eats whatever I do just in slightly lesser portions (typical American diet). Recently my friends, cousins babysitter (who is dating a veterinarian) said that she thought it was selfish for me to focus on my health while ignoring the health of my dog.

Since I joined MFP, I have cut way back on calories and have been giving less to the dog as well. Right now I eat about 2000 calories (based on my TDEE) a day and I feed my dog about 1300 calories daily (I could not find a TDEE dog calculator only for dogs but he eats is a big dog and probably could eat as much as me if I let him). 6 Month ago, my vet (not the same vet my friends, cousins babysitter is dating) said my dog was a perfect weight. However in the last 6 months I have began taking my dog with me on all my outside runs (because he gives me really sad looks when I leave him at home).

For all of our runs, I wear a HRM and eat back the calories I burn. However I can't seem to find a HRM that will work for my dog (thick fur on his chest, which I really don't want to shave because I think he needs it to stay warm in the winter). I am worried about him burning too many calories from running and being well under 1200 net each day we run. I am sure he burns a least a couple hundred calories each run so 1300-workout calorie burn would put him into starvation mode right?

Please help! My dog loves to run with me but has lost a little weight in the last six months, so I am worried he is in starvation mode. Any advice greatly appreciated. My next vet appointment is not for another 6 months and last time I went my vet just told me his weight was perfect and he was a very healthy dog. The vet was not at all helpful when I asked for TDEE estimates for my dog (since I measure his dog food by its calorie value not by the cup of dry dog food he hates and wont eat). FYI my dog is 8 year old Border Collie and weighs 27.2 kilograms. Thank you!

Replies

• Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    vet
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Best advice- take him to the vet. It seems like you have access to a few. :smile:
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    What do you feed your dog? Dry dog food, or do you make him/her meals from scratch?

You can supplement with treats, an extra half cup of dry food, or add more calories to your dog's daily diet. Dogs are resilient. If you're worried, you can switch to a high performance type dog food which packs more protein and calories into each serving.
  • blaquebutterfly75
    blaquebutterfly75 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • TheBeerRunner
    Options
    Check this chart out as well. As long as your dog isn't in the emaciated category, he/she will be fine. Adjust feeding to add calories when you and your dog are more active.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-xNE5fSi4Pok/TlPchDMKg7I/AAAAAAAAC0s/XNcE_Zri_8s/s800/dog_weight_chart1.jpg
  • alisiaendris
    alisiaendris Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Nice. :laugh:
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m9blexD80G1r8jsxao1_400_zps0ba8dfd1.gif
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Not to worry! If your dog was in starvation mode he'd be plateauing or even ~gasp~ gaining! The skinny little bugger's just fine.

Tell him he needs to lift heavy though. He sounds skinny fat.
  • TheBeerRunner
    Options
    LOL...

Does your dog even lift?
  • justgowithit17
    justgowithit17 Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    *calls ASPCA* hehhe :bigsmile:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    LOL...

Does your dog even lift?

Cute-Whippet-Mastiff-dog-pic.jpg

6197177_700b.jpg
  • Selunca
    Selunca Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Yes. He's in starvation mode.

So you should get a cat. :D
  • Karenober
    Options
    As a vet, the first thing of course I would say is call YOUR vet! the next thing I would say is google "Purina Dog Body Condition Scores" and look over that. If your dog is a 5 or 6 on the chart then GREAT! He will live a lot longer thanks to your healthy lifestyle! If he scores a 4 or less, then look into supplementing his diet. BTW dogs are NOT people, they have different nutritional needs, so the bulk of their diet should be DOG food not human food. Just sayin' I do NOT sell dog food for a living so my advice might actually be honest!
  • onepillarofsalt
    onepillarofsalt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Our weight loss journey is including our dogs (one of whom is overweight, one is a bit under), and the calorie needs of your dog are absolutely important to find out! I found this calculator, which really fell in line with what our vet was recommending for weight loss. For an 80 pound, active dog, the requirements are 1851 a day.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-feeding-tips/dog-food-calculator/

Also, it's important to check in with your vet and make sure your dog is at a healthy weight, as they will definitely have a good idea on what proper weight is depending on breed.

:) It's awesome that you're including your dog in your journey!
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My dog is VERY fat. We could trade for a while....
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    maybe he is really a llama
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Our weight loss journey is including our dogs (one of whom is overweight, one is a bit under), and the calorie needs of your dog are absolutely important to find out! I found this calculator, which really fell in line with what our vet was recommending for weight loss. For an 80 pound, active dog, the requirements are 1851 a day.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-feeding-tips/dog-food-calculator/

Also, it's important to check in with your vet and make sure your dog is at a healthy weight, as they will definitely have a good idea on what proper weight is depending on breed.

:) It's awesome that you're including your dog in your journey!

Thank you very much! That calculator is great. Unlike my vet it gives me calorie targets (not just targets in terms of cups of dog food he does not like). Based on this my dog needs more food! Should I start feeding him his TDEE right away or do I need to make adjustments since his metabolism has slowed down to his starvation mode?
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Just break up with the skinny, hairy, little bugger...
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    interesting.gif
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Check this chart out as well. As long as your dog isn't in the emaciated category, he/she will be fine. Adjust feeding to add calories when you and your dog are more active.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-xNE5fSi4Pok/TlPchDMKg7I/AAAAAAAAC0s/XNcE_Zri_8s/s800/dog_weight_chart1.jpg

Based on these pictures I would say he is thin but not emaciated. I am still worried he may be in starvation mode based on eating under his exercise adjusted TDEE