What keeps you motivated?

Options
I am having a really hard time staying motivated and having self discipline. What keeps you going... I am so off track right now, I haven't done well since I took a break for the Holidays and I haven't been right since.

Help me get it back together. Tough love is fine. :ohwell: Thanks guys.

Replies

• ton40orbust
    Options
    My heart, living longer, not being able to wear any of the cute clothes in the stores, showing off my ink. Wanting to be comfortable in the stupid desk/chairs in college. And being able to say "screw you I did it" to every person to has told me I wont be successful with my weight loss. and many many more...

Those are what motivates me. Find something. Make a list. And just do it.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I don't deprive myself of much. Going from eating all junk food for after noon snack, to not being hungry for dinner, then all junk food for evening snack -- to having 3 BALANCED meals most days, yet still splurging on popcorn once/week or so keeps me going. I am losing the weight slowly -- no race here -- I gained over years, not months and fully expect it will take 7+months to get to goal.

Be patient, but move forward. If you can't start now, then you'll never achieve what you want. The corny saying "Tomorrow never comes". So start TODAY, eat right, log, use MFP for all it can give you, and just keep going.

Only you know why you came here and why you want to lose weight / be healthy, etc. REmember that and stick to it.
  • theycallmewy
    theycallmewy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I treat this as my lifestyle as my body is the only treasure I have. I always look at the mirror and always think how far i have gone.. as long as you have the willpower and dedication, you won't be lost.. Just focus.. You have what it takes.. the power of the mind is all you need. as Lng as you don't stop.. its okay to take a break.. but don't stop. IMO, you didn't stop. you only took a break. :P
  • leannemjhauser1
    Options
    Living My BEst Life Everyday! Keeps me motivated!
  • kalasuuru
    kalasuuru Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've been making small goals for myself. at every ten pounds lost I can treat myself to a healthy reward, like a yoga class card, a dress, or a manicure. that way I have something to work towards. but also, I try to switch up my gym routine, I get bored so easily! taking the classes and downloading fitness apps has helped to keep things interesting. I gained a ton of weight during the holidays, so getting back into a routine has been very difficult. it's just as much of a mental challenge as it is physically a challenge, but you can do it! hope that helps :)
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My health
    For my little boy, to be an example as he grows up
    To have healthy habits for whenever I get pregnant again (currently not anytime soon)
    To wear clothes from any store

My friend who lost weight last year
    The success stories I've seen here
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Break's over - back to work! :angry:

(Tough Love?)

But seriously, my health motivates me. Looking around at all the unhealthy people around me and seeing how they are limited in their activities, etc. I'm not talking about heavier people who are working on their fitness - I'm talking about the people of all kinds of weight categories who are just out of shape in general and sick and tired all the time. I don't want to be like that. I like the freedom that being healthy and fit gives me.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Looking in the mirror and seeing the changes that are taking place. Plain and simple.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    The holiday threw me off as well, and it has taken a while to get my mind and body back on track. I just remind myself of why I started this in the first place- those reasons are still there. I also have the choice to go back to where I was and have wasted all the work I have done so far, and maybe gain even more than I lost, or I can just commit to the long haul and keep reaping the rewards of getting smaller and stronger.

The older you get, the harder it gets, so if you put it off for a few more years, you will be X pounds heavier and it will take you even longer than it will now.

I am almost to my halfway point. I still have a ways to go. But I just keep thinking about how great I am going to feel when I get to goal!

Every day I decide that I am worth the effort!
  • BrainOnAStick
    BrainOnAStick Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Good question. Four things come to mind.

1) I remember how good I feel after a workout. Even when I am dragging at the gym, I remember that some sort of workout is better than no workout. I end up thanking myself for taking the time to sweat. I could foul everything else up that day, but my gym time is precious.
    2) I also keep in mind the incremental changes I see, even after a short period of time. For example, I might be able to run for longer periods of time (I am a beginning runner) or I may be able to lift heavier weights. Conversely, when I spend time away from working out, I end up starting over in terms of weight I can lift, duration or intensity of cardio, etc.
    3) I sleep better at night and feel more rested when I get a workout in. I love sleep and despise sleeplessness.
    4) A number of people in my parents' generation have succumbed to various illnesses lately. I *always* know I want to be able to put up a good fight when my time comes to combat illness and aging.

I read something the other day that also works for me and may make you laugh: I have to get to the gym in the morning before my brain figures out what I am doing. If I get there before being "fully awake" or invested in other parts of my day, this always works to my advantage.

Good luck!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    tJzqgvi.png
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Try signing up for a race of some sort. 5k, tough muddier, Triathalon. Actually sign up and pay. Then train. Then sign up for another.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    tJzqgvi.png

QFT

Sub squats as needed.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    When I feel overweight or unmotivated I feel uncomfortable. Soon clothes become too tight and especially when you have to go somewhere special and meet people you haven’t seen in AGES… that is uncomfortable.

The weird thing is, sometimes we allow ourselves to put up with this type of uncomfortable, because sometimes the sofa is just TOO COMFY. When we are at home, lying up watching TV in our jammies, it is hard NOT to feel comfortable, and our weight doesn’t really have to bother us when we are sitting in front of the telly. The thought of getting up, going for a walk or going to the gym – now that can be a tad uncomfortable.
    So the bottom line is you are going to have to be UNCOMFORTABLE one way or the other there is no escaping discomfort.

But you do have a choice as to what type of discomfort you want to experience. You can choose discomfort that leads to…
    a.) A life of ill health and disease and low self esteem with your overweight body image…. OR
    b.) A life that is you living your dream in a slim healthy body and leading an active lifestyle

There is no way to avoid discomfort, so if you have to feel it, then we should all really choose the discomfort that helps us to live a dream.
    When we think about going on a lifestyle change, and start an exercise routine, that can feel like a lot of discomfort (You should hear some of the excuses that I tell myself of why I won't go to the gym but at the end of the day I am fooling myself, when the scales don't move at weighin I only have myself to blame), but you will see it all the time, that once someone settles into their new diet or exercise routine that they feel great, they don’t even consider it to be that much of a discomfort. I know you are saying that you can't get back to doing things after your holidays but you have to look back to what worked for you before? Its a learning curve with many bumps along the way.

Believe me getting up, and getting out of your comfort zone to go after a goal, whether that is weight loss, exercising or a new physical challenge, takes effort, willpower, courage and GUTS. You have to get out of comfort zone, push yourself, raise the bar, and go the extra mile. You have to do the things that other people don’t or won’t do.

If you want to TOTALLY TRANSFORM your body, if you dream of being slim, toned, active, fit, healthy, and looking beautiful… I hate to break it to you but that IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN until you get out of your comfort zone, off the couch and make things happen. Take baby steps, 10 mins of exercise a day is better than nothing but you have to think what you would like long term. Are you motivated enough to make the best decision in your life to be happy, free of some healthy problems? Well then I am going to say it how it is, repeat after me, I can do this, I am stronger than this challenge and every day this challenge will make me stronger and I want it so bad that I will do anything in my power to change my attitude and do it, NO MORE EXCUSES!! Its not easy, you will have some tears, tantrums but when you get to your goal you will be glad that you put in as much effort as you did and when you look in the mirror your progress will show you how far you have come.

Anything worth having or doing takes EFFORT and a hell of allot of WORK.

DIETING IS TOUGH.
    BEING OVER WEIGHT IS TOUGH.
    CHOOSE YOUR TOUGH!!
  • vbarcok
    vbarcok Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I want to be an example for my glrls. I don't want them to struggle with their weight like I have. I want to feel better about myself, to be less self conscious, to fit comfortably in a seat at the movies, to no longer buy plus size clothes, to not worry about people taking my picture and how I look in them, to prove to myself that I am strong and that I can accomplish anything, to be healthy, to be the best version of myself. I want to show everyone that this time I will do what I said I would do and I won't stop until I get there. I am in control of my life now not food. Food is no longer for pleasure, it's fuel! Good luck. No more excuses, just do it! You will never regret it! :flowerforyou:
  • RenaeNguyen
    RenaeNguyen Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My previous weight keeps me motivated. I weighed 255lbs. I was huge, I was unhappy, depressed, couldn't have a baby because of my weight, I had 2 miscarriages due to my weight, my ankle was developing arthritis to quickly because if the weight on it (bound to happen, I broke the same bone in the same spit 3 times) my husband loves hiking and being active and I felt like his fat wife that never did anything with him.
    I lost 100lbs, and instantly got pregnant I'm now 26 weeks! And my dr says my pregnancy is so healthy it's unbelievable. My ankle doesn't ever hurt anymore. The only time it did hurt was when I was working as a waitress for 10 hours a day in the winter, but that's expected. I still go for hikes with my husband even know its me waddling him walking lol. I even workout with my husband on his days off :-). I refuse to look at that girl in the mirror. I'm so happy now days, I feel so much better now than ever. I still workout while I'm pregnant because its just way to easy to gain weight while pregnant, I've gained 24 pounds in my pregnancy and after my son is born I plan to get back to 155 pounds in 4-6 months, then after that lose my final 20 pounds by his first birthday :-)
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    When I feel overweight or unmotivated I feel uncomfortable. Soon clothes become too tight and especially when you have to go somewhere special and meet people you haven’t seen in AGES… that is uncomfortable.

The weird thing is, sometimes we allow ourselves to put up with this type of uncomfortable, because sometimes the sofa is just TOO COMFY. When we are at home, lying up watching TV in our jammies, it is hard NOT to feel comfortable, and our weight doesn’t really have to bother us when we are sitting in front of the telly. The thought of getting up, going for a walk or going to the gym – now that can be a tad uncomfortable.
    So the bottom line is you are going to have to be UNCOMFORTABLE one way or the other there is no escaping discomfort.

But you do have a choice as to what type of discomfort you want to experience. You can choose discomfort that leads to…
    a.) A life of ill health and disease and low self esteem with your overweight body image…. OR
    b.) A life that is you living your dream in a slim healthy body and leading an active lifestyle

There is no way to avoid discomfort, so if you have to feel it, then we should all really choose the discomfort that helps us to live a dream.
    When we think about going on a lifestyle change, and start an exercise routine, that can feel like a lot of discomfort (You should hear some of the excuses that I tell myself of why I won't go to the gym but at the end of the day I am fooling myself, when the scales don't move at weighin I only have myself to blame), but you will see it all the time, that once someone settles into their new diet or exercise routine that they feel great, they don’t even consider it to be that much of a discomfort. I know you are saying that you can't get back to doing things after your holidays but you have to look back to what worked for you before? Its a learning curve with many bumps along the way.

Believe me getting up, and getting out of your comfort zone to go after a goal, whether that is weight loss, exercising or a new physical challenge, takes effort, willpower, courage and GUTS. You have to get out of comfort zone, push yourself, raise the bar, and go the extra mile. You have to do the things that other people don’t or won’t do.

If you want to TOTALLY TRANSFORM your body, if you dream of being slim, toned, active, fit, healthy, and looking beautiful… I hate to break it to you but that IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN until you get out of your comfort zone, off the couch and make things happen. Take baby steps, 10 mins of exercise a day is better than nothing but you have to think what you would like long term. Are you motivated enough to make the best decision in your life to be happy, free of some healthy problems? Well then I am going to say it how it is, repeat after me, I can do this, I am stronger than this challenge and every day this challenge will make me stronger and I want it so bad that I will do anything in my power to change my attitude and do it, NO MORE EXCUSES!! Its not easy, you will have some tears, tantrums but when you get to your goal you will be glad that you put in as much effort as you did and when you look in the mirror your progress will show you how far you have come.

Anything worth having or doing takes EFFORT and a hell of allot of WORK.

DIETING IS TOUGH.
    BEING OVER WEIGHT IS TOUGH.
    CHOOSE YOUR TOUGH!!

^^BINGO! Definitely worth reading again!
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    My previous weight keeps me motivated. I weighed 255lbs. I was huge, I was unhappy, depressed, couldn't have a baby because of my weight, I had 2 miscarriages due to my weight, my ankle was developing arthritis to quickly because if the weight on it (bound to happen, I broke the same bone in the same spit 3 times) my husband loves hiking and being active and I felt like his fat wife that never did anything with him.
    I lost 100lbs, and instantly got pregnant I'm now 26 weeks! And my dr says my pregnancy is so healthy it's unbelievable. My ankle doesn't ever hurt anymore. The only time it did hurt was when I was working as a waitress for 10 hours a day in the winter, but that's expected. I still go for hikes with my husband even know its me waddling him walking lol. I even workout with my husband on his days off :-). I refuse to look at that girl in the mirror. I'm so happy now days, I feel so much better now than ever. I still workout while I'm pregnant because its just way to easy to gain weight while pregnant, I've gained 24 pounds in my pregnancy and after my son is born I plan to get back to 155 pounds in 4-6 months, then after that lose my final 20 pounds by his first birthday :-)

CONGRATULATIONS!! That is so wonderful and so inspiring!
  • majowie
    majowie Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    it keeps me motivated when i think that if i lose only 5 pounds per months nex t year i will be 60 pounds lighter... this idea keeps me motivated =)