Lost weight - now the passenger airbag won't turn on!

Options
kat5556
kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
So after losing 23 pounds I have discovered that when my husband drives my SUV (2010 Hyundai Santa Fe) the passenger airbag doesn't recognize that I am sitting in the seat and won't turn on until I bounce on it and then if we go over a bump or I shift it goes back off. I took it in and they recalibrated it but still no go. It's going back in tomorrow. They say it should come on with 80 lbs and I'm certainly WAY over that!

My question is has anyone else had this problem and, if so, we're you able to get it fixed? I'm concerned about the safety of it. Of course we can always take his car or I can drive (he hates that!) but on a long trip it's not practical for only me to drive plus a car should work properly.

Replies

• Selunca
    Selunca Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My husband is a Hyundai technician and he said there something else wrong that the calibration probably isn't fixing, such as a sensor or something. Also, he suggested if you have seat covers, or padding to remove it and try.

Just take it back till they fix it right, especially since its probably still under warranty!

***Edit*** Just had my niece (85lbs) sit in my 06 Sante Fe, and it registers. Just for a baseline :)
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're sitting all the way back in the seat and not letting your butt/hips slide forward. The further forward you sit, the more difficult it is for the sensor to determine your weight.
  • kat5556
    Options
    My husband is a Hyundai technician and he said there something else wrong that the calibration probably isn't fixing, such as a sensor or something. Also, he suggested if you have seat covers, or padding to remove it and try.

Just take it back till they fix it right, especially since its probably still under warranty!

***Edit*** Just had my niece (85lbs) sit in my 06 Sante Fe, and it registers. Just for a baseline :)

They ran the calibration again today and said it's functioning fine and said for smaller people it's best to not have it turned on. I told them that is not acceptable! I'm not a petite person. I'm 5'5" and well within rage of weight to have the airbag work! I would understand if I was 5" and 100 lbs but I'm not! The service guy is getting with his manager to see what they can do. By the way my husband also has a Hyundai and I'm fine in his car.

And there are no seat covers or padding.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    there seems to be a recall on this, something you might want to check into:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/hyundai-recalls-220000-santa-fes-sonatas-for-airbag-issues.html

I realize your model, you stated, was a 2010 but maybe there's issues with earlier models too?

Yeah, I'm with you- I'd want the air bag working.

I'm 5'0" and was 115 @ the time of my accident- and had it not been for the airbag, would have been hurt MUCH worse
    than I was.
  • kat5556
    Options
    there seems to be a recall on this, something you might want to check into:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/hyundai-recalls-220000-santa-fes-sonatas-for-airbag-issues.html

I realize your model, you stated, was a 2010 but maybe there's issues with earlier models too?

Yeah, I'm with you- I'd want the air bag working.

I'm 5'0" and was 115 @ the time of my accident- and had it not been for the airbag, would have been hurt MUCH worse
    than I was.

The recalls for for the years before mine and they did check for that anyhow and I don't have one of the bad ones - or so they say. They were supposed to call this afternoon to tell me what they can do and of coarse didn't. I'll call them on Monday.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Not a Hyundai fan myself, had a real lemon of theirs once and will never go back again. Their response sounds typical.