Is Running Enough?

Options
So for my workouts all I do is run a trail that goes around my neighborhood. I usually try to run at least 30 minutes and walk some more (at least another 30). I do increase the intensity by increasing my speed at times and I try to run further in less time as I feel myself getting more used to running. Would you say this is enough of a workout or should I mix it up?

The reason I ask is because someone today told me it's not enough to just run to lose weight. I do have a bowflex and would like to start adding strength training to my routine. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs running and it was plenty for me. Adding some strength will always help too. Running takes the 'work' out of workout and gives you something that is fun, healthy, and just makes you feel good.... and thin. Keep it up!

Raymond
  • getphysicallyfit
    Options
    Running can be addictive but also cant take a toll on the joints espeically if your only doing aerboic style running. Based on a lot of factor's it is alway best to develop your core and lower extremities to add lean muscle mass around your bones/joints to protect them from the repeitive motion that can wear down cartiliage (especially if your not nutritional sound).

Add Anaerobic running/training to your program and you will enjoy longer/faster and stronger runs.

Give it a try and let us know... Keep up the great work

Get Physically Fit
    "Live Long & Healthy"
  • Mando55
    Mando55 Posts: 140
    Options
    I lost plenty of weight by running. over 60 pounds!. I gradually increased my distances and ran about 4 times a week. The furthest I got was a little over a 10k and the shortest about a mile. I still run now but I have been doing Insanity and by the time I go for a run my legs are exhausted and so am I. Keep on trucking and have fun.
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You will certainly burn some calories (a lot!) by running often, but as said above it does have adverse effects on your joints, especially your knees. I have over-done it in the past and it can take a while to recover properly. You are more likely to plateau if you only partake in a single exercise, so consider mixing it up a little bit - play some sports or something, even switching to an elliptical for a while would be beneficial, and certainly easier on your joints! Good luck :-)
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    strength training is good to incorporate 2x a week to maintain lean muscle. lift heavy with low reps. you won't bulk up - it's a stupid myth
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I am mostly concentrating on running right now because I have a 5 K coming up. I also do Yoga, Pilates, and the 100 push-ups challenge. I think every now and then we need to switch up our work-outs and strength training is definitely beneficial. Earlier on, I found that my knees would get sore if I tried to do aerobics and running on alternate days so I'm just doing the running 3 times a week and working other parts of my body (arms, chest, and core) another 3 days a week.
  • hireaman
    hireaman Posts: 2
    Options
    Never underestimate the power of doing a good weight session! Building and using muscle burns more calories over the day that cardio does, and do not worry you will not get big and bulky like a man ( that takes 3000+ calories a day!!!) your body will look better once the weight is gone if nice curvy toned muscle lie underneath!
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Thirding the call to lift weights. If you love running, then keep doing it. But everyone should be incorporating some real strength training at least 2 times a week, hitting all the major muscle groups. I'll go one step further and state you should use free weights/body weight to strength train because that will engage all your stabilizer/supporting muscles in addition to the "primary" muscles and will give you even more of a benefit when running.