Better to count calories or carbs?

Options
I've been counting calories for about three weeks now. I lost eight pounds pretty quickly but I've kinda stalled out. I've had success in the past counting carbs instead of calories. Anybody have an opinion about which way is best? I get discouraged when I don't see results and I'm afraid I'm going to give up! Thanks!

Replies

• janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I've never counted carbs, although I know lots of people do and find it helpful. Instead of counting them, I try to avoid them in general, but not completely or obsessively. I try to focus on getting lots of protein. It sounds like you just hit a plateau. Stay with the right calories and exercise a little harder or different.
  • jimed43
    jimed43 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would continue to count calories, and what my food log, and make sure, I am not exceeding my daily carbs. Also I try to cut carbs on days that I can not get out to exercise.

Good Luck
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I don't think carbs vs calories is your issue. I think you may want to seriously adjust your expectations. You've been going for 3 weeks and lost 8 lbs-that's fantastic! Patience is your friend here. Some weeks you'll lose, some you won't, and some you'll gain. You're looking for long-term (like months) overall trending and changes-not day to day or even in the span of just a month.

For the record, I've never counted a carb in my life-and I don't plan to. I also "gained" 1.8 lbs from yesterday even though I did everything "right". It'll be fine-maybe tomorrow, maybe next week, maybe mid-February, but it'll be fine as will you if you keep on keeping on and be patient.
  • megan121690
    Options
    Count your calories!! You can be savvy about what carbs you're eating...avoid anything processed or not whole grain, eat lots of whole foods, the "good" carbs, and leave the other stuff alone. You get to eat a lot more whole foods vs. processed when you compare the calories in both. Carbs are necessary for our bodies to function correctly - it's not healthy to cut them out of your diet.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Count calories. 8 pounds in 3 weeks is a great loss, don't get discouraged. If you've done well for 3 weeks and are not seeing anything this week could it be related to your cycle? I see no loss or even a gain the week of my period, but it's all water and is gone the next week.
  • rejosa
    rejosa Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Count your calories!! You can be savvy about what carbs you're eating...avoid anything processed or not whole grain, eat lots of whole foods, the "good" carbs, and leave the other stuff alone. You get to eat a lot more whole foods vs. processed when you compare the calories in both. Carbs are necessary for our bodies to function correctly - it's not healthy to cut them out of your diet.

This is a definite!

Whole grains & whole foods are your friends!