Jumping from 1200cals to 1400cals... bad idea?

Options
Hello everybody!

I'm 22 years old, 5'4'', and I weigh about 129 pounds. When i started my weight loss journey I weighed 173 pounds and I dropped the weight by eating 1200 calories per day, and exercising 3-4 days per week. I did this for a few years and barely had any trouble staying under the 1200 calorie range. Recently (within the past few months) I've had so much trouble staying within in the 1200 calorie range. I've felt hungry, deprived, and it's led me to some pretty terrible binges. I've just been afraid to move above that 1200 calories for fear of gaining weight back (Crazy, I know.) I recently decided to bump my calories up to 1400 calories a day and after 3 days of doing this i already feel happier and less restricted. Now, my question to you all is.. is this amount of calories still going to make me lose weight or just maintain?

Any advice would be highly appreciated. I want to know how many calories you 130 pound-ers eat!

Replies

• bmi20SE
    bmi20SE Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Id love to know how a 130-pounder eat, but Iam currently almost where you started at ;) 165 pounds....
    If you are working out I dont think its a problem to eat more....
    Give it few weeks, you might gain weight at first but later go back to losing the pounds again.

Congratulations on your weight loss!
  • candirose69
    Options
    hello,
    Ive spent the last 6 moths on 1200. i was 198 and am now 174ish , i wantt o be between 145 and 135 ((I hope thats right im from Aus and trying to convert from kg's)). I exercise about 5-7 days a week.
    I've also been really hungry lately and have started upping my cals. i did one week at 1300 and now 1400 and am even considering going up to 1500 (about my bmi).
    I've lost 2lbs still :) its been a bit slower but i think i was hitting a plateau anyway..
    i am feeling a lot fuller and less deprived and am getting in enough healthy food in now. at 1200 i couldnt get my 2 fruit and 5 veg in as well as enough calcium and other nutrients
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    hello,
    Ive spent the last 6 moths on 1200. i was 198 and am now 174ish , i wantt o be between 145 and 135 ((I hope thats right im from Aus and trying to convert from kg's)). I exercise about 5-7 days a week.
    I've also been really hungry lately and have started upping my cals. i did one week at 1300 and now 1400 and am even considering going up to 1500 (about my bmi).
    I've lost 2lbs still :) its been a bit slower but i think i was hitting a plateau anyway..
    i am feeling a lot fuller and less deprived and am getting in enough healthy food in now. at 1200 i couldnt get my 2 fruit and 5 veg in as well as enough calcium and other nutrients

I spent 3 months on 1200 calories, went from 187 to 160. I want to go down to 140lb, but 1200 cal just wasn't working for me anymore. I increased my calories to 1500 cal and I've never felt better. Still workout, I'm eating healthy and nutritious foods, and I find that I feel better than I have in weeks.