Not hungry but < 1200cals. Should I eat anyway?

Options
Quick question: I have been using MyFitnessPal.com to calculate my calories. I eat a tone of protein and fruits/veggies. At the end of the day (after subtracting my exercise) I am only consuming about 1000 calories. It gives me a warning most day that if I continue to eat so few calories, it will mess up my metabolism. I definitely don't want that! But I am honestly not hungry! Should I eat more anyway??

Replies

• Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Good question! I've been wondering that myself.
  • elizarou
    elizarou Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My general rule of thumb, eat if you are hungry. If you are not...I wouldn't worry about to much. Try to eat more food that is generally high in calories throughout the day but is still clean if this is a daily thing i.e. avocados, eggs, milk, nuts. I had the same problem and then I upped my intake as I saw better results. It was hard at first but when I ate more calorie dense foods it eliminated this problem.
  • KiwiKimblee
    Options
    Short answer - yes. Basically you are not eating enough and your body will go into starvation mode. The absolute minimum you should eat is 1200 calories, anything less is dangerous. However, 200 calories isn't much. Try a glass of milk. Or a piece of bread. Its all very well eating very healthy (which is wonderful and I'm not criticising), but your body still needs more to work properly. And eat it at breakfast, rather than the end of the day.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Then add some higher calorie food like cheese, nuts, avocado, peanut butter, etc
  • shmmry17
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments! I guess I'll have some greek yogurt tonight (I'm about 300 cals under) and try to add more caloric foods to my day. The funny thing is that I am eating avocado and yogurt most days!
    Check out my food dairy.
    I'm really not hungry and I don't feel worn out or tired. I don't get worn out from my workouts (although, I am feeling them the next day).
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments! I guess I'll have some greek yogurt tonight (I'm about 300 cals under) and try to add more caloric foods to my day. The funny thing is that I am eating avocado and yogurt most days!
    Check out my food dairy.
    I'm really not hungry and I don't feel worn out or tired. I don't get worn out from my workouts (although, I am feeling them the next day).

you will not mess up your metabolism. this only happens to people that diet all the time and for extremely long periods. You can eat when you're hungry! but never feel the need to force feed.