Recovering Anorexic

Options
I was wondering how many calories I should be consuming daily to gain 1-2 pounds a week. I do not gain on the normal "add 500 to maintenance" yet I am terrified of adding over 750-1000 calories to maintenance. (Adding 600 to maintenance causes me to maintain or lose) I am also starting to workout and get back into a normal routine I had before my eating disorder started to take over in hope to gain some muscle during this time. Went into hospital at 5'6" 87 pounds and came out at 103 pounds. I am currently around 110.5 pounds (gained 4 pounds within 3 days of eating 800+maitnance) any advice would be nice,

Thanks!

----10E----

Replies

• aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how many calories I should be consuming daily to gain 1-2 pounds a week. I do not gain on the normal "add 500 to maintenance" yet I am terrified of adding over 750-1000 calories to maintenance. (Adding 600 to maintenance causes me to maintain or lose) I am also starting to workout and get back into a normal routine I had before my eating disorder started to take over in hope to gain some muscle during this time. Went into hospital at 5'6" 87 pounds and came out at 103 pounds. I am currently around 110.5 pounds (gained 4 pounds within 3 days of eating 800+maitnance) any advice would be nice,

Thanks!

----10E----

Sorry to hear that! I think you should not worry about calories or intake. There is a natural equilibrium that your body will strive towards, if you let it. If you over think the numbers, it will lead you back to a trap of obsession over your weight. I say stay away from the scale for a while and eat comfortably. Once you reach homeostasis, you can revisit the prospect of weight gain!
  • Tenny13
    Tenny13 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Whenever I eat only when my body is hungry I lose 2-5 pounds in a week and get threatened to be tube fed again.. That's the only problem with going on my body's hunger...
  • susie234
    Options
    Congratulations on coming through a tough time. Is there a professional nutritionist you could consult with? It would probably be worth it if you can swing it.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on working towards health! And, congratulations on your progress so far.

I would suggest that you work with your nutritionist and doctor....advice that we would be able to give you will not likely be helpful.

Although, I would think that if there are others who are recovering/recovered, they may have tips for you to overcome your fear and help you get past negative thoughts and fears.

Small forward facing steps.

Wishing you the best.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Whenever I eat only when my body is hungry I lose 2-5 pounds in a week and get threatened to be tube fed again.. That's the only problem with going on my body's hunger...

Maybe you could try eating very highly caloric foods when your hungry? Eat avocados, nuts, olive oil, and lots of pasta. That way you are getting more calories, but obsessing less over calories, which can trigger you.
  • chelseabuns88
    chelseabuns88 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I would say if you know you continue to under eat when eating 'intuitively' just increase your portion sizes and ensure you eat three meals a day and add snacks.. I agree that obsessively counting calories could be dangerous, but you may find that meeting the goals you set yourself gives you a sense of accomplishment.. maybe try and log every other day, or one week log, one week don't?

Congratulations on reaching recovery, all the best!
  • Tenny13
    Options
    My doctor told me to eat when I'm hungry but I lose when I do that, then I get threatened to be tube fed, and then I have to eat until I feel sick to even start gaining weight again so it's very confusing from bing told so many things..

I start to gain weight at around 3500-4000 calories... Then rapidly gain or lose when eating the same the whole week.. It's very confusing.. >.<
  • chelseabuns88
    chelseabuns88 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think eating when you're hungry is good advice, but it's the choice of food you eat that needs to be the focus! I saw from your diary you're eating a lot of low fat options? I know it can seem scary but could you substitute for full fat options?

I also noticed quite a lot of junk food and sweets, the better food you eat, the better your body will feel.. I know I feel like crap after eating fries and chocolate.. Why not try home baked wedges and extra veggies? And the chocolate can just bulk up you calories in between if you enjoy it?

I know it's all easier said than done, definitely consult with a nutritionist if you can!
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Just a tip from looking at your food diary.

Swap the Dannon light and fit yogurt for 2% greek yogurt, then to a whole milk yogurt.

Change the 1% cottage cheese to a 2% milkfat, then to a 4%.

These are small food swaps that will help increase your calorie intake.

Switch a glass of water for a glass of milk (2% or whole).

Add a handful of nuts as a snack.

Just some ideas.
  • Tenny13
    Options
    Uhh honestly everything I tracked today is what I packed for food.. All I've eaten today is a bag of carrots, coffee, and some apple slices.. :(

I'm allergic to nuts and eggs.
  • mkookies
    mkookies Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely recommend talking to a dietitian/nutritionist. They will point you in the right direction!

I know it must be difficult to eat more for you, as you've been used to eating so little, but just take it slow and introduce more calories to your diet everyday. Your body will slowly re-adjust and will be very thankful. Don't be afraid of fats, either! Your body needs them to function. Olive oil, nuts, avocados, eggs, fish... all sources of good fats!
  • Tenny13
    Options
    I'd definitely recommend talking to a dietitian/nutritionist. They will point you in the right direction!

I know it must be difficult to eat more for you, as you've been used to eating so little, but just take it slow and introduce more calories to your diet everyday. Your body will slowly re-adjust and will be very thankful. Don't be afraid of fats, either! Your body needs them to function. Olive oil, nuts, avocados, eggs, fish... all sources of good fats!

I'm allergic to those nuts, and eggs :p
  • mkookies
    Options
    Oh no! Well, in that case - definitely don't eat those things. XD But the rest - have at 'er. :) Full fat dairy is a good option, too! It doesn't have to be low fat. Things like 2% milk or 2% Greek Yogurt can be nice, too - not full fat, but not fat free either.
  • mkookies
    Options
    Also, you mentioned that you gained a bit of weight while eating 800+ over your maintenance calories. I'd keep at that! It sounds like you found a "sweet spot" to get to where you want to be. It'll take time, but don't give up!
  • Tenny13
    Options
    I also can't have to much milk in my diet, my body starts to break-out in rashes if I have more than a cup of milk. :/
  • mkookies
    Options
    Goodness. Well that's not good. I'd definitely recommend speaking to a professional. They can probably offer better advice, especially since you have a few restrictions on your diet. I only took nutrition in chef school, so I'm probably not your best source for nutritional information. XD
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I suggest making an appointment with a dietitian to get a plan...most of us on here are not qualified to give advice..recovered ana myself and I know its a scary road..
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has been saying, definitely consult a nutritionist if you can.

I also second the idea of switching out a lot of your low fat food for full fat food. Also, looking back over a few days, I noticed you mostly eat grains and dairy. Where are the veggies, fruits, and meats? I noticed you're 18 -- are you in college? Do you have access to a stove or a hot plate?

I'm guessing you're not a vegetarian since you've eaten meat a few times. Try adding in some salmon or even low fat ground beef (I get the 93-7 beef, or you could get the 95-5) or, occasionally, some bacon or sausage. Bacon and sausage might not be the healthiest choices, but eating them every once in a while is fine. If you don't eat red meat, you could get some turkey bacon, maybe.

Also, how do you feel about beans? Those can help boost your calories, as well as your protein to help you gain muscle. Also, rice is a good calorie-dense grain -- and if you like your grains sweet, you can always make rice pudding. Pasta is also awesome for calorie gain. And what about cheese? I didn't notice much of that in there either. Cheese is a great additive to things to gain calories.

These are just some ideas. Maybe once your body realizes that you're trying to gain weight instead of losing, your metabolism will straighten out a bit and you won't be fluctuating up and down so much. Either way, stick with it! It will get better :flowerforyou:
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I also can't have to much milk in my diet, my body starts to break-out in rashes if I have more than a cup of milk. :/

Claiming to have issues with so many foods, is often actually a trait of anorexia. So, no offence, but I would question whether you actually do have issues with milk and the like. Speaking as someone who had anorexia, I can remember all the excuses in the book.
    The ball is on your court. You either find a way to get your calories in, or you end up back in hospital. People here have given their advice, and you just keep coming up with excuses, so not much anyone can do really, is there? It is your life and your responsibility, in the end.
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Claiming to have issues with so many foods, is often actually a trait of anorexia. So, no offence, but I would question whether you actually do have issues with milk and the like. Speaking as someone who had anorexia, I can remember all the excuses in the book.
    The ball is on your court. You either find a way to get your calories in, or you end up back in hospital. People here have given their advice, and you just keep coming up with excuses, so not much anyone can do really, is there? It is your life and your responsibility, in the end.

Agreed. Also, whoever told an anorexic to "eat when you're hungry" is an idiot. Anorexics either don't get hungry naturally, or they are very good at convincing themselves they are not hungry in the first place.