Super morbidly obese. Any advice?

Options
Hi folks

Just joined. Thanks for having me. I am searching for serious, sensible advice from people who really know what they are talking about.

I am 54, female, 5ft 4, 352 pounds, my BMI is over 60, I can't walk only waddle, and I stay in 90% of the time either lying or sitting down. I have a chronic problem of having too much insulin in my system and a hairtrigger insulin response. I am a carboholic, which is how I got so fat -- I used to live on litres of Coke and mountains of chocolate and cake. Nowadays I never eat chocolate, sugar or wheat except when I binge. I probably have PCOS and Metabolic Syndrome.

I call myself 362 to 262 that is the 100lb I want to lose! I am impatient and want to lose that 100lb FAST.

The world out there is just so full of bad advice on how to lose weight. But the worse thing is, the advice given by one is contradicted by the next, leaving me struggling even more as I don't know what or who to believe any more.

I am told the only way to lose a large amount of weight is to stop dieting and increase exercise. Then the next "authority" says, forget exercise till you are fit enough, you need to cut back severely on food. Then another group will insist that calories don't matter, it's all about the carbs. Then another will say that is a load of tosh and it all comes down to calories so just count them and eat what you like. My head is spinning with it all and life is passing me by.

I'm not interested in being a waif, I want to be strong and fit and healthy, that is my only motivation for losing weight. So I have left all the girly-type diet forums and decided to seek out people who know how bodies work.

The GOOD stuff: here are some POSITIVES about me!

I am habituated to a no-sugar, no starch diet. I gave up sugar, chocolate, wheat, rice, potatoes, juices and fruit. It was hard, I had withdrawal, I sobbed, but I did it.
I am teetotal
I do not smoke
My BP is perfect 120/80 and my cholesterol and triglycerides are quite good. I attribute this to a low carb diet
I am not diabetic and have fewer health problems than many slimmer friends
I enjoy water aerobics. I do one hour weekly at the minimum and have lately increased this to 3x weekly. I use a pair of foam barbells in the water and jive to rock and dance music wearing a Speedo waterproof MP3 player. My heart rate is increased for the whole 60 minute workout.
Because of using the barbells, I have huge biceps and triceps and unlike many women I LIKE being muscular

I've been following a low carb diet for ages now, on and off. I've lost 14lb this year. Every few days I go on a binge, which makes me feel a failure and I beat myself up. My binge foods are: Chinese takeway; potato crisps; chocolate; cake. They are NOT a part of my normal diet, and I do not want them to be. They are trigger foods for me. I have tried allowing "just a little bit" in my usual diet but it's no good - they turn me into a monster!

My current diet is cabbage-soup-meets-Atkins. Everyday I eat: three one-pint bowls of (fresh) vegetable soup, each one with two tablespoons of double cream (for calcium and fat). With the soup I eat 100g (weight) of protein - for example roasted lamb, chicken, beef, gammon or pork. Or prawns, salmon, or cod. For a snack I'll have some cold meat, ham, boiled egg, prawn cocktail or pate on romaine lettuce, some walnuts or brazil nuts, or a piece of cheese with some red bell pepper.

I count calories and try to keep to under 1600. I count carbs and try to keep to under 40. I don't count fat grams. I take multivitamins, ALA, chromium.

I input all my food and exercise into fatsecret which calculates everything. I am 100% honest in this and always list if I binge, and feel ashamed of myself, which helps.

I would like to be able to eat out now and again and have on those occasions a "treat" meal which includes "naughty" carbs such as a dessert. This is why I came off Atkins and started upping the carbs a bit and reducing the calories.

I do 3 x 60-minutes water aerobics a week. I currently cannot walk for exercise as it hurts too much. I tried the gym but I cannot use most of the machines as I cannot fit on them or it involves standing up, which hurts. I can sit down and lift weights but is there any point when I already use foam barbells in the pool? I own a set of nylon barbells and intend to keep them by the couch and use them for 10 minutes every evening while watching TV.

Am I doing all the right things, and can I do more to lose weight and get fit in a faster or healthier way?

Thanks!

362 to 262

(PS I also posted this on a bodybuilding forum where my name is 366 to 266. When I registered on MFP I got my start weight wrong :-( It should be 366 and I have lost 14 lb.)

Replies

• NadDrew
    NadDrew Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am wondering why you want to lose 100 pounds fast, from my experience I've been dieting most of my life and always gain the weight back because it was always a quick fix. If you don't mind you can read my post "No quick fix for me" I'm just a regular woman and I use to weight 280lb many years ago and now I'm 176lb my reaching goal is 150lb. So it took me all of those years to lose the weight and keep it off and the most important succes in my story was I did it the right way for me, you have to find the right way for you it is a lifestyle change what you do today your gonna do it the rest of your life baby steps was the right way for me.

You can ad me as a friend.

Good luck
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel you need to lose weight fast?
    Slow and steady is the best.

Also, Why low carb? Maybe you're binging because of that?

If you have an issue with bingng, can you actually talk to a therapist about that? Food addiction is real.

I know you said it's hard to walk, but what if you took 5-10 min walks daily?
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    My first advice would be to forget the doing-it-fast goal. I know exactly how it feels, but it's crucial to think long term--keeping the weight off is as crucial as losing it, and studies show that highly restrictive, quick-weight-loss diets almost invariably result in subsequent weight gain.

I recently started working with a nutritionist who has been a huge help. So I can tell you what she has taught me:

--Make sure to eat enough protein (when you log in on your food diary, it will give you a daily protein count to meet.) Undereating protein will lead to muscle loss instead of fat loss, and to hunger, because protein is important for satiety; eating way too much of it will stress your kidneys.

--Eat good fats. avocados, nuts, olive oil, they all stave off hunger and are important for all kinds of body functions.

--Eat plenty of vegetables and fruits, and a variety. an absolute minimum of five servings a day. If you're not used to having vegetables and fruits, build up. If you're not a veggie lover, try something like Weight Watchers Senegalese Peanut Stew--very rich tasting, yummy and loaded with vegetables. (you can find the recipe online)

--Eat whole foods to the extent possible. Processed foods lead to blood-sugar spikes and are seldom as nutritious. Of course we all eat some processed foods like bread and pasta. You do on this what you can. Get plain yogurt--Greek is rich and thick and thus more satisfying, even nonfat-- and add some artificial sweetener and fresh fruit, for example, rather than buying the yoplait crap. Whole foods tend to be hiding a lot of sodium and sugar.

--Apples are a particularly satiating snack. Cut in wedges and arranged on a plate, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon, looks beautiful and tastes wonderful. Even my nutritionist doesn't know why apples are so particularly good at staving off hunger. They have lots of fiber, but so do other fruits. But she's found over and over that it works.

--Yeah, potatoes are carby, but they're also very satisfying. and you won't have the blood-sugar spikes with them if you have them with something acidic or some protein.

--The exercise you're doing is perfect. As you take off weight, you can start taking super-short walks that will turn into longer walks a lot faster than you might think.

--Learn to love your new foods. Find healthy foods that satisfy you and that you look forward to. People will only put up with feeling deprived for a limited amount of time.

--One trick I've found t6hat makes me stop worrying so much about losing the weight fast is: The time is going to pass anyway. I might as well spend it losing weight.

--Drinking plenty of water can do more to reduce your appetite than any other single thing. Often when we think we're hungry, we're really thirsty. start out the day, very first thing, by drinking a couple of glasses of water. You'd be amazed at how it changes your day.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention--good for you for joining the website. Keeping a food diary every day on this site will be a HUGE help. It's not easy to admit failure or to reach out for help...you've done so much already.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I recently posted a blog post that may help clear up some things for you:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/cordianet

Best of luck in your journey!
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    First off I would die at 40 grams of carbs per day..seriously if I go under 100 the grouchy Grumps happen. LOL. I am eating around 1600 calories and I am losing really slowly but still losing. I think you should up your calories in order to prevent binges and look up the zone diet 40/30/30. Good luck...we are all here ready to root for you. Try to remember to not to beat yourself up for one bad day...we all have them. Just keep pushing through!
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot of good advice on this site... Most people say this... it's all about calories in vs calories out. What you eat doesn't matter as much (carbs vs no carbs). Sure, the healthier you eat the more nutrients your body gets and the more energy you have and the more fuller you may feel. But just track every calorie and realize that you're most likely going to take 10-12 months to lose that 100 pounds and that is OKAY! and healthy.

Feel free to add me as a friend and we can support each other as I also want to lose 100 pounds.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Also search for the forum post called Mfp roadmap and really read everything it says. It has helped me tremendously.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    You should go see your doctor and get a consult with a dietitian and setup a meal plan that suits your medical needs.

Sounds like your situation is rather unique, and you need to seek medical advice before starting on this plan.
  • runlikeananna
    runlikeananna Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sorry if you are eating those things every few days then they are part of your usual diet. At your size a balanced diet and some light exercise should get you on the way.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing all you can already! Just keep at it, and maybe have a support group of family and friends that you can call when you feel tempted to binge? Have them come over and talk you off the ledge sort of thing.

You are a true inspiration, and are doing really well already. Don't give up, ever!
  • SleepingBeauty12345
    SleepingBeauty12345 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heybrit
    heybrit Posts: 140
    Options
    You should go see your doctor and get a consult with a dietitian and setup a meal plan that suits your medical needs.

Sounds like your situation is rather unique, and you need to seek medical advice before starting on this plan.

This!
  • chellecaldwell1
    Options
    Hi there.
    Congratulations on acknowledging the steps to begin. As the others have said, losing 100 pounds fast isn't the best way. Slow and steady. Patience is crucial.
    I do understand on wanting to lose weight overnight. Wouldn't that be nice. Alas, you want to take steps accordingly.

I read a book called The Virgin Diet by JJ Virgin. I have plenty of diet books. i.e. South Beach Diet, and French Women Don't Get Fat.
    By far The Virgin Diet it truth. It really shouldn't be called a diet. It's process of elminating processed foods and 7 food that can cause inflamation (bloating/diegestion) that can lead to subtle or not so sublte food intolerences, which are Gluten, Soy, Eggs, Dairy, Peanuts, Corn & Sugar/Artificial Sweetners. The beauty of elminating the 7 foods off the bat is you can slowly reintroduce what works with your body.

The intake is all about healing foods such as Dark Berries such as blueberries, boysenberries, Cauliflower, Coconut milk. Also cooking with Coconut Oil or Palm fruit oil.

It's not a recipe book, though there are recipes to help get you started.

It's the biology of the human body and what we were meant to eat.

My grocery bill has exceeded tremendously for our family of 4. It's expensive to eat healthy however, I am happy to pay $7.00 for organic strawberries rather than expensive medical bills due to bad eating choices.

I'm not proud of the choices I've made, I've lost weight and gained it back. I see now where I went wrong and I am determined to never go back.

I suggest reading the book. You might find it helpful too.

I've got 32 pounds to go, and that's it. It's a new lifestyle.

Best to you!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are on the right track, but remember that slow and steady is healthy and sustainable. Keep up with the water aerobics! I hope you end up totally addicted to fitness, because it's a great feeling - so much better than lying around alienated at home. You might try upping carbs a bit if it's ok with your doctor. Some people find that their moods are altered negatively when they go too low - especially those with serotonin deficiency. Obviously you'd want to avoid your trigger foods and processed/refined sugars. Maybe try adding some fruits and things with high fiber? Don't beat yourself up over an occasional binge, but do try to avoid them! If the overall trend is in the right direction, you'll get there eventually. Keep up the good work! :drinker:
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Also search for the forum post called Mfp roadmap and really read everything it says. It has helped me tremendously.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

^^^ the above link will provide you with a lot of real solid information. Please read it and enjoy unbiased logical ways to help yourself start off on the right foot.

You can do this!
  • Indyimp
    Indyimp Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Nice to meet you!! I don't really have any advice, except for keep at it and I agree with everyone's slow and steady wins the race approach. And listen to your body. I like your idea of water aerobics! I have seen someone post that when they first started to excercise they could only do 30 seconds at a time. They kept at it and recently ran a half marathon. That was so inspirational to me!

Feel free to add me if you like :flowerforyou:
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the advice given by mahanaibu.

You've made a great start on your own though, the pool is a wonderful place to get exercise and you seem really motivated to do well. Keep up the good work!
  • charovnitza
    Options
    May I make a suggestion? I follow a low carb diet, and found a website that I found motivating. Www.stellastyle.com

George Stella used to weigh 467 pounds, he now weighs 208. He, his wife, and his 2 sons have lost together a total over 550 pounds, and have kept it off for years. He's a chef, and his recipes are delicious, and low carb. There's also a good support group on the website. He doesn't tell you what to eat, there's no diet regemin, but his food is easy to make, and filling, and well worth a look.

No matter what you decide, I wish you well on you weight loss journey!
  • brittneysegel
    Options
    First I'd like to say I'm really impressed by your progress this far. Your workouts are GREAT! Water workouts are difficult and low impact on joints, I know a lot of people who have lost a lot of weight doing them. You should stop calling it dieting, it's a lifestyle change. Living healthy and excercising can be fun! I set short term goals, I have a long term goal as well to lose 120 lbs total BUT I set short term goals as well that make it easier to focus on. For instance, my current goal is to weigh less then what my license says within 2 months. Make it totally achievable so that you don't get too disappointed it you don't hit it and don't be so tough on yourself. You can't lose all your weight over night, no is no miracle diet or drug that can make you lose 50lbs a week, it's just dedication and patients that pays off. I looked up tips for speeding up my metabolism, drinking green tea and NEVER skipping breakfast. This also helps me. I eat small meals frequently so that I'm never hungry but never totally full. I'm losing 3-4lbs a week right now. Good luck, if you need friends on here to be a support system, feel free to add me and we can cheer each other on and share what is working for us! Just never give up and always celebrate even the smallest success!