Busy people: How do you Schedule time??

Options
I'm not doing too well with working out the past week. I started a second job and am working 60+ hour weeks now until Aug 7th. 40 hours at my permanent career and 20 hours a week capstone to finish my degree. Stopping either position is not an option. Anyone have any scheduling tips? Anything that just made life a little easier in your hectic life. I just feel completely overwhelmed. It doesn't need to be scheduling workouts per se, just scheduling time more wisely. I'm exhausted at the end of every day now.

Replies

• SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    If it's important you can find the time. Calculate how many hours per week you spend watching tv or using the Internet, texting,social media etc. I get up at 5:30am to do my workouts. Sounds like you have a tough rota so I do sympathise.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I totally hear you on that one! I have nearly an hour commute 2x a day. By the time I get home, I don't want to do anything. I ended up joining a gym 5 minutes from my job so I can workout before hitting the commute home. What about getting your workouts in during lunchtime?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I wake up early. I never have anything else to do at 4:30 am.

Well, almost nothing.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    You don't have to workout 7 days a week. Presumably, you don't work both jobs 7 days a week. Schedule workouts on days you don't work jobs. Hopefully, that covers a couple. Make these longer workouts maybe and schedule shorter ones on days you work both jobs. But again-find the time and don't consider workouts any more optional than you consider taking a shower. You'll make it happen - or find a schedule that works for you. The second you consider working out as an optional activity, you will start making excuses and you'll never actually do it.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I spend all (and I mean all) of my free time on the internet. So I just close the laptop for 20 or 30 minutes a day and workout. It makes it easier because then I can just hop right back on here and crow to my online friends about my workout - instant gratification!
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yeesh, and I thought I was busy! I feel for you!

For me, I had to set three days that I have to go to the gym. I hit the gym for 45 minutes, 3 times a week, Sunday, Tuesday, and Friday. Those workouts are mandatory, I don't put them off or skip them. Make time, and make it mandatory.
  • 62texan
    62texan Posts: 13
    Options
    I put my gym bag in the car and go straight there after work. If I don't, I will go home and not work out. Good luck!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I put my gym bag in the car and go straight there after work. If I don't, I will go home and not work out. Good luck!

+1
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I do a minimum of 45 minutes every morning at 5. If I can fit it in on the weekends, I do am and pm workouts. When I've been pushed with school, I work on the computer and take 10 minute exercise breaks every 45 minutes: planks, jumping jacks, burpees, etc.
  • kestrel359
    kestrel359 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My day goes as follows:
    7-8am wakeup and make breakfast for my son, dress him for the day, and play with him for 1/2 to 1 hour
    9am or 10am take my son to my mother-in-law's and head to class
    Noon get out of class and go to the gym for 1 hour
    1 or 1:30 go home make lunch, shower, and get ready for work
    3:30 head to work
    12:30 come home, eat a small meal, do homework
    2am go to bed

Fridays I don't workout and weekends my husband has off so I sleep in and then go to the gym for an hour.

I just made my son, school, work, and exercise a priority and plan everything else around them
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I know the week you speak of. I live it, and will most likely be living it for a long time to come.

My day starts at 0400. I leave for work at 0445. I finally make it to work at 0630. Eat breakfast at work, begin work. Have lunch at 1100. Off work from job 1 at 1530. Make it to the gym about 1625, work out for about an hour to an hour and a half, time crunch depending.

Home from job 1 about 1730. Then there is kids, housecleaning, laundry ( Good Grief I think 60 people live in my house judging solely by the laundry I do every week)

Then the unpaid job #2 this is variable and depends on their need and whether there is anyone else that can take the bullet for me. But job #2 is helping to take care of either my parents or my mother-in-law ( she has cancer, we do a lot of stuff for her).

Job #1 is typically a rotating schedule and can go into some freaky schedules and scary overtime, and typically involves multiple weeks that go longer than 7 days before a day off from there.

Job #3 is part time on the weekend nights not conflicting with job #1 and ability to sleep.

Job #3 typically means Friday nights involve zero sleep for me. Tonight is a rare exception. I am too physically exhausted to drag in to work. That job starts at 2000 and goes until 0330, both nights.

So how do you keep from losing your mind and get a workout in?

Well, when I figure out the how not to go insane I'll let ya know. The workout part is find a nice gym with people you don't mind being around or at least not want to strangle. Make it on the way to or from either of the places you go to a lot. Convience is really key. No weird wacky loop-backs on the interstates or it will be too much to fight in traffic.

I keep 3 gym bags full of workout gear in my trunk at all times, bring the dirty one in when you get home. You always have the gear to make a stop in this way. Pack non-perishable food in them too, that helps with the stress of the killer weeks.

Find that sweet spot of not tired, not kill people stressed, even if the days aren't the same, and go in then. Doesn't matter. When you work brutal hours, just getting into the gym is a victory. Just go. Give it all you have, forget about the set amount of X time, if all you have is 20 minutes for cardio, do it. And throw in a quick muscle group workout.

I'm gonna get bashed for this, but if you only have 40 minutes, do 20 cardio and as much on the muscle group of your choice in weights. But I am not talking leisurely cardio, I mean do it like zombies are chasing you cardio.

Anything is better than nothing.

Nap often. And know you are really not alone on the hamster wheel of death schedule.

Peace
  • MoLivesLuvsLifts
    MoLivesLuvsLifts Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Great question! For me, I exercise all day - that's how I get it done.

I wake up and do 20-30 min of exercise (either a 10 min cardio dvd, leslie sansone or some other video).

Then, when I get home around 6pm, I do about 10 min of callistenics (usually situps, jumping jacks, pushups and lunges).

Lastly, before I go to bed, I either do some more cardio or weight work for another 10-15 min.

When I do this, I usually get 45 min - 1 hour of exercise daily. I'm starting back with my weight loss. But, I was doing this shedule when I was at my busiest - 5 years ago, I was in Grad School and working a full time job while starting my own business.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I go the first chance I'm free of any kids or hubbies. (Or sancho's or admirers or stalkers. JK. )

But seriously the first free time I get in the day, I head directly to whatever workout I can get to the fastest. I also schedule workout time with other women so I know I can't flake out. I invite them over and would feel like a douche if I flaked out so I keep my word.
  • MarieG2023
    MarieG2023 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I sympathize...during the work week, I make the time to exercise for 20-30 minutes 2 or 3 days. On the weekends, I workout for longer periods. Just think, exercise is also a great stress reliever...this might help encourage you to carve out time for exercise in your busy schedule.
  • jj1973
    jj1973 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Can you take a 15 minute walk at work? Do some lunges when you take a bathroom break? Stand up and walk in place while talking on the phone?

I also have placed my treadmill in the middle of my living room. Easy access makes it hard to make excuses. I can place a board across my treadmill handles, place my computer on it and walk at a slow pace while surfing the net.

Get creative about working it into your day. Workouts don't have to only occur at a gym.
  • theresa_may
    theresa_may Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I totally hear you! When I get crazy busy, exercise is usually one of the first things to go! Since the new year started, I've been trying to do whatever I can to feel more energized so I'm not as tempted to drop exercising so quickly. A couple things that have helped me recently:

-exercise first thing in the morning - my alarm is set for 5am on weeknights

-get to bed early, I'm in bed by 9:30 on weeknights

-eat vitamins in the morning (I've been taking a multi, B12 and D)

-eat 5-6 mini meals of about 300 calories - spacing them out by 3 hours - I'm never hungry anymore, and less cranky and lethargic!

-make the first or second mini meal a smoothie - (1 cup almond milk, 1 tbsp. chia seeds, 1 scoop chocolate protein powder, frozen strawberries, 1 cup spinach, 1 banana, 10 baby carrots)

-drink loads of water, my water bottle is my baby and I carry it everywhere I go

I guess this doesn't directly answer your "how do you schedule time" question, but this is what's helping me stay on top of everything these days - just taking care of myself so I can pull everything else off. :smile:
  • jkrim941
    jkrim941 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. It just helps to feel that I'm not alone in the "hamster wheel of death". ;)
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    When I worked a full time job, I had enough time to do stretches in the morning and then would have to go to the gym/pool straight after work if I wanted to guarantee a session (and obvs didn't do it well, which is why I am here!!!)
    Now I work as a freelancer, I get up on gym days at 5:30, I have a 30 min stretch routine and then head to the gym.
    On rest/stretch days, I try and wake naturally (which is irritatingly around 5:30-5:45!!!!) an stretch and do some time with the Wii fit.

I take Saturday off completely and do nothing except walk about town ... And on Sunday I do some cardio at home.

I do have to shift things around if I am in town interviewing people or covering events/seminars ...
  • hellonheels88
    hellonheels88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You mean people have free time? :tongue:

I work full time (40hrs/week) and am a full time single mom with zero family around to help. So here's my day:

-Pretend I'm going to wake up early to work out...hit snooze on my alarm for an hour and crawl out of bed at 5:15/5:30.
    -Rush around to get showered and get myself ready and get my daughter ready, out the door by 6/6:15.
    -My schedule at work is pretty lenient as long as I get my 40 hours in. So I usually go to the gym over lunch (it's right across the street).
    -I intentionally work an earlier shift so that I have time to work out right after work as well. I make sure my gym bag is ALWAYS with me. I pack it the night before and set it by the door. It is always in my office by my desk so that I have NO excuses.
    -Work out after work from about 4-5/5:15.
    -Pick up the kiddo, run around like a mad woman at home trying to cook dinner, clean up the house, bathe the kiddo, get her in bed, get her BACK in bed, rush back to the kitchen for a snack for the kiddo and tell her to get BACK in bed....I'm pretty sure this whole process burns about a bajillion calories in itself.
    -Once the kiddo is asleep (usually by 8pm-ish), I turn on the TV and do some squats/crunches/lift my 8lb'ers while catching up on a little tv.
    -If I'm lucky I may be able to squeeze in a shower right here.
    -Then I crawl into bed by about 10 and do crunches until I can't move anymore. Then I pass out....then I wake up two hours later when my daughter starts crying from her room that she wants more milk or that there's a monster in her closet.
    -hellonheels burned 93485 calories doing 10 minutes of "Slaying Closet Monsters" :bigsmile:
    -rinse and repeat...every day....

Weekends? Those are a beast in themselves....:grumble:

Does anyone have some sleep I can borrow? :ohwell:
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    The busier I get. The less I do.

I realized a couple of things.

1. If I am really busy, going to the gym takes up way too much time. 30 minutes there and back....plus the gym time. Plus the changing time. So a gym means 45 minutes of time at min. I go to the gym on days I have lots of time. And work out at home on the other times.
    2. Make your workouts super efficient. Intervals and circuit training are my number one workout types. Efficient and effective
    3. Create workouts for at home. (solved problem #1)
    4. Carve out 20-45 minutes for some at home workouts (preferably circuit training) a couple of days a week.
    5. Increase your daily activity: walk to errands when you can, walk further in the parking lot, walk to your coworkers desk instead of sending an email
    6. Multi-task. Stretch during conference calls. Or do a few squats

Now back to the circuit training.

1. Get a couple of dumbbells or maybe a kettlebell. Learn some basic exercises.
    2. Make a list of exercises:
    legs, butt, back, core, arms, chest, cardio.

Pick 1-2 from each category. Do 10-15 reps of 5-10 exercises. Do them for 10 minutes in a row. Take a 30 second break. Or not. And repeat 2-3 more times. End with some stretching. If you are challenging yourself, you will be tired and sweaty.

You can mix up things like pushups, squats, lunges, burpees, jumping jacks, crunches, rows, jumps, planks...... and you'll have a quick full body workout that you can do in a little corner of your home.

If you can do 3 x 30 minute circuits a week, and then carve out an hour at some other time for a longer workout you'll be on the right path. But definitely focus on intensity and full body moves so you'll use you limited time effectively.