Help! Is my dog is starvation mode?

Options

Replies

• MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Just break up with the skinny, hairy, little bugger...

I love my dog and will never leave him. I was asking for some serious advice here. Thank you to those who are actually trying to provide constructive advice.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Just come out
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Try the search function, this topic has been discussed over and over on here....SMH
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    What do you feed your dog? Dry dog food, or do you make him/her meals from scratch?

You can supplement with treats, an extra half cup of dry food, or add more calories to your dog's daily diet. Dogs are resilient. If you're worried, you can switch to a high performance type dog food which packs more protein and calories into each serving.

It sounds to me like he's not feeding his dog dog food he's feeding him food that he eats. I think if you're going to be making dog dog's food, you need to do a lot of research on what a healthy homemade diet is. Its very irresponsible for you to be feeding your dog food that is CLEARLY bad for you. They don't get to live as long as we do....You need to be doing a better job keeping him/her healthy.

That being said, I'm sure the weight loss is completely normal because he is getting more exercise and you are now feeding him a healthier diet (Hopefully!!!) If you're going to make your dog's food, thats great but PLEASE do your research on what foods are and are not appropriate for dog consumption. Their bodies are not the same as ours.
  • rgohm
    rgohm Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    okay then.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I was just about to respond about how sad I was that no one was taking this thread seriously... and then I read this.
    As a vet, the first thing of course I would say is call YOUR vet! the next thing I would say is google "Purina Dog Body Condition Scores" and look over that. If your dog is a 5 or 6 on the chart then GREAT! He will live a lot longer thanks to your healthy lifestyle! If he scores a 4 or less, then look into supplementing his diet. BTW dogs are NOT people, they have different nutritional needs, so the bulk of their diet should be DOG food not human food. Just sayin' I do NOT sell dog food for a living so my advice might actually be honest!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    LOL...

Does your dog even lift?

This dog does

th?id=H.4544930968633891&pid=1.9
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    FYI

This post was meant to be a joke (complete fiction) to test a theory of mine about people believing too much they read in the forums

For example, here is a post I read the other day that really bothered me. So many people believe made up "inspiring stories" that it detracts from the real success so many MFP members are having.

Every day I see stories that are likely fake but readily believed on MFP.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/866219-this-happened-to-me-at-the-gym-this-morning

I just created this thread as a test of my theory.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    maybe he is really a llama

/thread

stare-llama.gif
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    FYI

This post was meant to be a joke (complete fiction) to test a theory of mine about people believing too much they read in the forums

For example, here is a post I read the other day that really bothered me. So many people believe made up "inspiring stories" that it detracts from the real success so many MFP members are having.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/866219-this-happened-to-me-at-the-gym-this-morning

i saw that this morning and chuckled. it had to be fake.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    quoted from the other thread the OP linked to:
    Original Post on the other thread:

There is nothing more motivating than this: the 75 year old man RUNNING at a 7.5 speed and a 6.0 incline next to me. As we both got off the treadmill at the same time he asked if he could speak with me and pulled out his wallet. We sat down at a table as he showed me a picture of him and his granddaughter 5 years ago, her about my age then, he 767 pounds and her 398. With tears running down his face he showed me another picture of him walking her down the aisle 2 months ago. He is now 215 and she is 150. With more tears he says"I dont even know you but you remind me of my granddaughter, and I couldnt miss walking her down the aisle because I was killing myself slowly and didnt even realize it." I was wearing my cross and fish necklace so he asked if he minded if he prayed woth me. For 10 minutes we sat holding hands in the gym praying for the life I have ahead of me. As we were both wiping tears from our face, he told me to just keep going and when i dont want to, to remember him.This is a man I will NEVER forget.

==========================================

OP's Post on that thread that got overlooked:

Am I really the only one having a hard time believing this? I try to be as supportive as possible but this is almost too amazing to believe. If I am wrong, I offer my most sincere apology to both OP and the 75 year old man she talked about.

After a quick Google search, I could not find any mention anyone in the world who is at least 70 years old (5 years ago) and over 700 pounds (he claimed to me 767). 767 pounds is approaching record setting levels for that age bracket (Google worthy) and I have not heard of anyone surviving to the age of 70 at such a weight.

Too many coincidences as well (getting off the treadmill at the same time, the cross, asking to pray together, looking like her granddaughter, having a wallet with him on the treadmill, the table).

If the story is true, going from that point to running at a 7.5 speed and a 6.0 incline at the age of 75 and 215 pounds (down from 767) is truly amazing.

I had to agree with you on that...lol.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options

There is nothing more motivating than this: the 75 year old man RUNNING at a 7.5 speed and a 6.0 incline next to me. As we both got off the treadmill at the same time he asked if he could speak with me and pulled out his wallet. We sat down at a table as he showed me a picture of him and his granddaughter 5 years ago, her about my age then, he 767 pounds and her 398. With tears running down his face he showed me another picture of him walking her down the aisle 2 months ago. He is now 215 and she is 150. With more tears he says"I dont even know you but you remind me of my granddaughter, and I couldnt miss walking her down the aisle because I was killing myself slowly and didnt even realize it." I was wearing my cross and fish necklace so he asked if he minded if he prayed woth me. For 10 minutes we sat holding hands in the gym praying for the life I have ahead of me. As we were both wiping tears from our face, he told me to just keep going and when i dont want to, to remember him.This is a man I will NEVER forget.

Am I really the only one having a hard time believing this? I try to be as supportive as possible but this is almost too amazing to believe. If I am wrong, I offer my most sincere apology to both OP and the 75 year old man she talked about.

After a quick Google search, I could not find any mention anyone in the world who is at least 70 years old (5 years ago) and over 700 pounds (he claimed to me 767). 767 pounds is approaching record setting levels for that age bracket (Google worthy) and I have not heard of anyone surviving to the age of 70 at such a weight.

Too many coincidences as well (getting off the treadmill at the same time, the cross, asking to pray together, looking like her granddaughter, having a wallet with him on the treadmill, the table).

If the story is true, going from that point to running at a 7.5 speed and a 6.0 incline at the age of 75 and 215 pounds (down from 767) is truly amazing.

yeah. it was obviously fake. i read the first post of that thread this morning and didn't bother with the rest of it.

what 700lb person in history has ever lived to be 70 years old? ever?? and by the time you're 70, the damage is already done to your body anyway. what's the point of losing the weight by then?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

yeah. it was obviously fake. i read the first post of that thread this morning and didn't bother with the rest of it.

what 700lb person in history has ever lived to be 70 years old? ever?? and by the time you're 70, the damage is already done to your body anyway. what's the point of losing the weight by then?

Yeah..that would mean at 70, he started his weight loss and consistently lost 2.3lbs/week to be able to lose 552lbs in 5 years. That would be a hell of a diet plan for it to be really consistent and one, that I assume, would have had to be closely monitored by a doctor. I just don't know how he didn't end up with major back and joint issues. At 767lbs...especially at 70..you probably haven't walked in years prior to this.
  • phangirl8
    phangirl8 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    LOL...

Does your dog even lift?
    That actually made me laugh so hard... even over an hour later after initially reading it, every time it pops back into my head I start chuckling to myself again.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Toward the slim side is not a problem. You could add a teaspoon on olive oil to his food to add a few calories and makes coat shiny too.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Need more information. Does he have a thigh gap?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    FYI

Just caught up on that thread, sounded like an annoying fictional email chain-mail thing to me. It most certainly didn't have my crying like it seemed to for a lot of the posters.

Now go feed your dog some protein!
  • onepillarofsalt
    onepillarofsalt Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Because the idea that someone on here would be working to keep their pet healthy is TOTALLY just as laughable as the random crap people read and believe on the internet. Also hilarious is the notion that some people unknowingly feed their animals too little because they never bothered to research the health of their pet.

BEST. JOKE. EVAR!
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Idk, I have heard conversations about exactly this sort of thing from devoted/obsessive dog owners irl. It's not beyond the realm of possibility.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    Too d@mn funny!