Food prep (veg)

Options
It looks like I have to eat close to a metric ton of veg to feel full on my calorie goal of 1800-2000.

I'm spending years in the kitchen. How can I be more efficient at prepping all this? Amounts to like 6-10 full cups of veg a day.

(My appetite's gone way up due to quitting smoking and not being able to exercise for a bit. Recent numbers are 3000 and 4000!)

Or, how many different vegetables do you have in a day? Greater daily variety means more time (and prob money).

I'm thinking of making eg a POT of cabbage Monday, then broccoli the next, etc,

Or, how well does coffee limit appetite?

This hunger's so strange. I get 1 g protein/lb, and enough fiber and fats. Constantly hungry!

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I personally don't find vegetables all that filling, although I eat quite a lot.
    I find things like cottage cheese, grilled chicken, greek yoghurt, roasted chickpeas and hot drinks on top the most effective at filling me up.
    But for veggies, I do a lot in a stockpot/slow cooker, enough to last a couple of days, basically.
    Or I get ready bagged ones to microwave.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    If you are cooking with veggies you can chop and freeze in advance. I buy onions by the 5lb-10lb bag and chop them all at once so I have little sandwich bags of a single onion inside a freezer bag. I do the same with bell pepper, carrots, zucchini, eggplant, and many others. By doing all your cooking prep at once it allows you to develop a rhythm and saves on the clean up. I find an efficient way to get lots of veggies into meals is to start with the trinity in french this is carrots celery and onions. In cajun it is celery bell peppers and onions. Either way these veggies can be part of the base of any slow simmer sauce (crockpot). They each cook down to much smaller than their starting size so it makes consuming large amounts of low cal veggies easier. Most leafy greens are easier to consume cooked as well. Spinach for example is about 1/4 its original size when cooked (some garlic salt and pepper omnomnom) Create stir fries to incorporate even more veggies. If you chop half a head of napa cabbage and toss it in at the end you won't even need rice (just let it cook for the last couple min). I make my burgers with 1lb lean ground beef +a whole onion and 8oz of mushrooms that run through the food processor season with blackening seasoning and grill. After cook it makes 4 big burgers. Thats just a few things. I sneak veggies into my kid's plates every day. :-)
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Some good ideas tricia, thank you! I do like veg, it's just that prepping it's a bore, because I apparently have to eat so much of it. And I agree Graelwyn, those proteiny things are more filling, but recommended servings of those aren't doing it anymore, so, am having to fill the gap.

So you can actually freeze raw cut veg? I didn't actually know that. I just googled some tricks to keep cut things fresh in the fridge, looks like that'll help (store in water?).

Using a microwave for the cooking, that's interesting. It'd cut 15 mins right out. I've never gotten timings right (wind up either burning my tongue or getting stuck with half cooked food), but maybe there's a trick to be found.
  • FITBY30
    FITBY30 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    as far as fullness, i would suggest adding some sort of grain, brown rice, quinoa, barley, millet, polenta maybe? im vegan but i dont think i could do all veg all the time. with prep, i like to wash and cut in advance, big zip locks-slice onions mince garlic chop carrots celery etc, but my biggest is washing i hate having to wash everything when i wanna make dinner cuz i was hungry an hour ago. good luck!
  • upgetupgetup
    Options
    Lol, EXACTLY, Fitby! Thanks :) Agree about grains - usually I do have 1/2-1 cup of something, and wind up going over on those as well... Hence the turn to more veg.

Like I'd have a 6-8 oz piece of meat, 1/2-1 cup of quinoa, 3 cups of spinach, and feel HUNGRY! I don't know what the deal is, I am turning into a food vacuum-monster!

Lol, and obviously it' s possible to freeze veg, it's often SOLD that way. Duh. Somehow cutting it into pieces made it different in my head :noway:
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    How are you prepping your veg that it takes that long?

1 cup of fresh mushrooms is low cal, good protein and tasty. I just wash my mushrooms and either cut them in half or break off the stems and leave the cups whole.

1 whole zucchini can be as much as a cup. You can roast it by cutting it in half lengthways or chunk it and boil it (30 seconds prep).

Buy cherry tomatoes and wash them when you get home so you can just chuck it in your meal or eat as a snack.

Pumpkin, cut a wedge, roast it (take tell skin off when you're eating). Or cut a chunk, peel it, cut into 2 or 3 smaller chunks and boil.

I am vegetarian and don't find it takes long to prep veg from scratch. The only frozen veg I use is peas when I can't get fresh to shell myself.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I cheat - I buy the frozen vegetables you can steam in the bag in the microwave. Takes about 3 minutes to prepare a big bag of veggies.
  • upgetupgetup
    Options
    I cheat - I buy the frozen vegetables you can steam in the bag in the microwave. Takes about 3 minutes to prepare a big bag of veggies.

Ahhhh! I knew there was a trick! Thanks :)
  • upgetupgetup
    Options
    How are you prepping your veg that it takes that long?

I don't know... I ate this stuff today: cabbage braised with vinegar & a bit of sugar; baked portabella mushrooms with garlic & olive oil; cauliflower 'mash' with garlic & butter; baked sweet potato with green onion & bits of ham & yogurt in it. I guess really it took less than 30 mins per, and it was more all the washing up of strainers, etc etc that annoyed me.

I should try to eat raw more often. Usually it's just steamed or boiled brocc, and/or a bag of baby spinach. But even that was starting to upset my guts, and I felt digestion might be easier with some cooking.

1 cup of fresh mushrooms is low cal, good protein and tasty. I just wash my mushrooms and either cut them in half or break off the stems and leave the cups whole.

1 whole zucchini can be as much as a cup. You can roast it by cutting it in half lengthways or chunk it and boil it (30 seconds prep).

Buy cherry tomatoes and wash them when you get home so you can just chuck it in your meal or eat as a snack.

Pumpkin, cut a wedge, roast it (take tell skin off when you're eating). Or cut a chunk, peel it, cut into 2 or 3 smaller chunks and boil.

I am vegetarian and don't find it takes long to prep veg from scratch. The only frozen veg I use is peas when I can't get fresh to shell myself.

Good solutions here, thank you!
  • jshot278
    jshot278 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Just 1 little note- They say you shouldn't actually wash mushrooms. They are a bit like a sponge. Just take a damp paper towel and
    wipe them off.
  • Penny501
    Options
    Some great ideas here. I'm veggie and will take some if these on board - especially the freezer as it retains the goodness - and save money as supermarket bargains are usually bags that are too big for me to get through just keeping the stuff in the fridge.
    Making soup and liquidising some or all of it seems to be more satisfying than piles of steamed veg. And allows you to add spices or herbs to make it more interesting. And can be freezed.
    NB sweet potatoes have less cals than potatoes and you roast them with a tiny amount of oil to have 'chips' or boil and mash them - add carrots to further lower the cal count.
    Veggie curry is more satisfying - I use a wee drop of Patak's korma paste (I find the others bitter) to make a quick dish. Save prep time with a couple of tins - I chuck in a tin of butter beans or chick peas plus tinned tomatoes. Use easy prep stuff, cabbage, carrots, peppers, celery, courgette, parsnip, cauliflower, etc. Plus oinions. Makes enough for several servings or freeze in portions. Fresh coriander cut from a potted plant to garnish is nice. Can make a side curry with red lentils, korma paste, garlic and oinions. Serve with a small drop of rice and a small dollop of mango chutney.
    The hairy bikers diet book has some good ways to cut the carbs and still enjoy eating.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I make a big vat off veggie soup and eat a bowl a day until it is gone. A lot of it is water/broth so it lasts long for cheap.
  • firetriniti
    firetriniti Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Bump - thanks for the ideas!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I often make enough at one time for 4-6 servings with a ton of veggies (I live one my own, and was finding prep too time consuming and it difficult to get enough variety before). At moment I making a salad of roasted and braised winter veg, and also winter vegetable casserole. Both these recipes involve one pan, one bowl and a whole variety of vegetables, are low calorie and very filling. (Happy to PM you if you like).

Part of the secret is to have as wide a variety of veg as possible, another part is to pay attention to your fibre intake. Other than that, for hunger - make sure you get plenty of fluids, and have enough fat and protein as these are very filling.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Lol, EXACTLY, Fitby! Thanks :) Agree about grains - usually I do have 1/2-1 cup of something, and wind up going over on those as well... Hence the turn to more veg.

Like I'd have a 6-8 oz piece of meat, 1/2-1 cup of quinoa, 3 cups of spinach, and feel HUNGRY! I don't know what the deal is, I am turning into a food vacuum-monster!

Lol, and obviously it' s possible to freeze veg, it's often SOLD that way. Duh. Somehow cutting it into pieces made it different in my head :noway:

I aim for nine different low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables a day but Smarter Science of Slim (half following) advocates twelve - rarely have repeats, mostly vegetables and the full rainbow of colours. To make it easier and cheaper I buy a fair bit of ready frozen produce and batch cook meals. Don't find soups, stews and well cooked veggies nearly as filling as a plate of fresh sauteed al dente or raw veggies tho, a lot of the chewing and digesting has been done for you in some recipes.

Much of my frozen produce is defrosted in the refrigerator or on the counter before heating through in the microwave or pan, that saves cooking effort because the freezing often softens the produce. Don't very often do separate vegetable dishes, as much of my food as possible is one pot for speed and to save on washing dishes!

Like most leafy greens spinach is not a bulky veg so try mixing them up, three to five servings of different veggies at each meal. You also don't mention any fat in that example meal? Of the fats nuts and seeds are perhaps the most satiating, dairy is also supposed to be good. Maybe try carbs like beans and lentils - they tend to be higher protein, higher fibre and lower glycaemic index than quinoa.

Are you getting a balance of all the food groups and so all the nutrients you need? Occasionally hunger and cravings can be down to your body demanding something it is not getting. Also are you eating too much sugary fruit or higher glycaemic index carbs? Remember that fibre from fruit and veggies is not going to swell and bulk the way fibre in certain whole carbs and seeds will, with the produce already being so rich in water. Finally are you taking small mouthfuls chewing really thoroughly and eating slowly? You probably are cooking wholefoods from scratch but definitely consider this with raw veggies.
  • upgetupgetup
    Options

I aim for nine different low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables a day but Smarter Science of Slim (half following) advocates twelve - rarely have repeats, mostly vegetables and the full rainbow of colours. To make it easier and cheaper I buy a fair bit of ready frozen produce and batch cook meals. Don't find soups, stews and well cooked veggies nearly as filling as a plate of fresh sauteed al dente or raw veggies tho, a lot of the chewing and digesting has been done for you in some recipes.

Much of my frozen produce is defrosted in the refrigerator or on the counter before heating through in the microwave or pan, that saves cooking effort because the freezing often softens the produce. Don't very often do separate vegetable dishes, as much of my food as possible is one pot for speed and to save on washing dishes!

Like most leafy greens spinach is not a bulky veg so try mixing them up, three to five servings of different veggies at each meal. You also don't mention any fat in that example meal? Of the fats nuts and seeds are perhaps the most satiating, dairy is also supposed to be good. Maybe try carbs like beans and lentils - they tend to be higher protein, higher fibre and lower glycaemic index than quinoa.

Are you getting a balance of all the food groups and so all the nutrients you need? Occasionally hunger and cravings can be down to your body demanding something it is not getting. Also are you eating too much sugary fruit or higher glycaemic index carbs? Remember that fibre from fruit and veggies is not going to swell and bulk the way fibre in certain whole carbs and seeds will, with the produce already being so rich in water. Finally are you taking small mouthfuls chewing really thoroughly and eating slowly? You probably are cooking wholefoods from scratch but definitely consider this with raw veggies.

Wow, really great information and insights, thank you. I'll definitely check out that blog!

Fats: Yup, covered, usually olive oil and dairy.

Carbs: tend to be leafy things, or a small piece of rye bread < possibly on the high gI side, comparatively. I do like pulses now and then, should have them more consistently!

Fruits: I have to force myself to eat these, because no fruit has tasted right to me in about ten years, but I do try to get one serving of something a day, for micronutrients. I'll look deeper into my diary, though.

Thanks again!