Is too much protein a bad thing?

Options
I feel like I'm doing a good job but then I see the protein in red and I was wondering if I need to keep it green to lose weight.

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    You didn't like the answers you got for the exact same question you cross-posted in General Weight Loss?
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    No. Calories and fat are "ceilings" so you need to stay under them if possible. Protein is a "floor" so you try to get above that.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical condition that means you should limit protein?

If not, it is a good thing to go over especially as MFP settings are very low.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    No. Calories and fat are "ceilings" so you need to stay under them if possible. Protein is a "floor" so you try to get above that.

Actually, fats are a floor also.
  • chameleonlounge
    chameleonlounge Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    No, It made sense I just thought it was a" Food & Nutrition question. I found by reading other post that I should have 1 gram per each pound that I weigh so yes the number I have is a good minimum to hit. Thanks for your advice
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options

Good call, my bad. I probably should stick to snark after wine rather than attempting to be helpful! :laugh:
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Well, if it is "too much" then by your definition it is a bad thing. It is your kidneys that process protein. What too much is, and what it will do to you I am ignorant of. But I would guess that it would affect kidneys and maybe cause stones...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Well, if it is "too much" then by your definition it is a bad thing. It is your kidneys that process protein. What too much is, and what it will do to you I am ignorant of. But I would guess that it would affect kidneys and maybe cause stones...

There is no evidence of a high protein diet causing kidney issues in a healthy person.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Good call, my bad. I probably should stick to snark after wine rather than attempting to be helpful! :laugh:

:flowerforyou:
  • feast4thebeast
    feast4thebeast Posts: 210 Member
    Options

There is no evidence of a high protein diet causing kidney issues in a healthy person.

Sara is indeed right. Can't believe the myths kicking about on here this morning.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options

• tishka11
    Options
    There is no evidence supporting too much protein being bad for you...studies have even shown that people with kidney disease can be harmed from low protein diets as it does not provide the necessary nutrients to repair the kidney tissue

Everyone - look at this video....it will answer the questions! This guy knows what he's talking about - he did his PhD on Protein Metabolism

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjmV8BlsJTQ&list=UUqMBA83S0TnfTlTeE5j1mgQ&index=15
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    On what basis is 30% fats a floor, why not 25% or 20% or even maybe 15%?
  • chameleonlounge
    Options
    Thanks Symon, I now understand the "Ceiling" & "Floor" termenology. My numbers are fine. I'm healthy I just wanted to make sure since I am trying so hard that I wasn't blowing it by going in the red.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    On what basis is 30% fats a floor, why not 25% or 20% or even maybe 15%?

I did not say a % - I just said that they are a floor which means you can go over. I do not even know where you are getting the 30% from.
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I go "over" every day. Have never worried about it.
  • chameleonlounge
    Options
    Thanks...