Options other than the gym

Options
I wanted to know who all lost most of their weight without ever stepping foot in the gym and what did you do??

Replies

• sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    weight loss is a matter of eating fewer calories than you burn. the gym is not essential but resistance exercise allows you to retain lean body mass and cardio gives you more calories to enjoy. Very straight forward
  • Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    walking at the track, bike riding, bleacher runs.
  • Amber1070
    Amber1070 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've lost 32 lbs at home. We have an elliptical which I started on. But now I'm using wii active, wii fit games, and the biggest loser. I have resistance bands and a few light dumbells. We also have Xbox kinect sports.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Running. Biking. Youtube. Virtually any type of video you could want
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    treadmill and Jillian Michael videos
  • jennahiltibran
    Options
    Yeah Jillian is no joke. I love that though she's motivating.
  • bradley0320
    bradley0320 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I work with young adults that have autism, and they enjoy taking walks weather permitting of course.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I lost all my excess weight (75 lb), and have bulked-cut-and now bulking again without ever setting foot in a gym. I've got a treadmill, a yoga mat, a pullup bar, some ankle weights, and some hex dumbbells, and that is all I need.

I run and walk (outside usually) for cardio, do bodyweight/weighted bodyweight exercises (progressive calisthenics) for strength training, and do yoga.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    No gym for me- just lifting in my garage and hiking/biking/kayaking outside.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I ran and did DVDs and bodyweight calisthenics that included jumping, and it was a mistake. I happened not to have the kind of body that could handle it. I lost a lot of weight but wound up skinny fat with injuries.

So I would encourage you to invest in some weights for lifting at home, to prevent overuse issues (even though you're young, if you're carrying weight it could be a problem), strengthen muscles and bones, and minimize skinny fatness. Plus some easy cardio options that are fun for you (biking, dancing, swimming, whatever). It's nice if one of them is outside.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Similar here - I do a daily yoga session - two of them a week are classes - do progressive bodyweight exercises and do a couple of kettlebell/plyometric sessions a week at home and swim twice a week at the pool in winter and open water in warmer months.

My only equipment is my yoga mat and blocks, kettlebells and pull-up bar and resistance bands - to assist in pullups at present.

I can be finished a bodyweight session in 45 minutes without driving to/from a gym, changing, showering etc. - which would otherwise take a big chunk of time out of my evenings.

I attended a weights room three or four times a week about twenty-five years ago, but much prefer my own space and time these days. I can even fit calisthenics into my work day breaks, depending on my circumstances on the day.

So far I have lost 28lbs and around 25lbs to go.
  • ILILIL13
    Options
    Great! diet is most important. SO i will not go ahead with gym memberships at this point. Apart from the cost and timeit takes, there are too limiting conditions set by the gyms.I \want to walk each day but it can get boring. And how so I have to create a new habit of getting up earlier and give up having excuses like watching good movies later at nite. Nice to meet you all:: And how many calories does it burn?