Cardio ideas please

Options
Hi there - I am looking for some cardio ideas to do at home without fancy gym equipment? During the week days I clock up 3-5 miles walking but it's not gaining (or rather loosing) me anything as my body is very used to it. I need some ideas for the evenings when my little family goes to bed. I know squats are fab for bums and legs but sadly my knees cant take them :(

Replies

• notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Do you have any steps? That seems to get my heart rate up. Also I vary my routes for interest and have some good hills. Also doing some weghts can help build strength so you can walk further.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    This site has good stuff on it.

http://www.fitnessblender.com/
  • ROSIEH65
    ROSIEH65 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I dance about! either a 30 min session on bottom step of stairs with music on headphones or outloud on the stereo. Or following dance routines on youtube, just really go for it & you'll work up a sweat and enjoy it at the same time!
  • misssmarita
    Options
    You could add some variation to your walking, like walking on uneven terrain (forest, f.ex.), walking up hill, or powerwalking. Housework, if you do it vigorously enough, can also be quite a workout. Zumba is also great. You could either buy the dvd, get some videos off youtube, or just blast some latin beats and dance around the house :) And if you saved up a little money and wanted to introduce some "fancy gym eqipment" (not at all necessary to get fit, just a suggestion), ellipticals are great for you if you have knee problems and if you're willing to buy them used you could probably get one for under 100 dollars on places like Craigslist.

GOOD LUCK!
  • nbulger
    nbulger Posts: 12
    Options
    Are you able to do some jump rope in your daily walks? I do this sometimes and it really gets my heart rate up.
  • dValkyrie
    dValkyrie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Dancing is great fun and belly dancing is awesome. We have a group here on MFP if you'd like to give it a try.
  • gilmore4
    gilmore4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for ideas, too, for indoor activities when the snow is deep and the temps are frigid.
    are there cable channels with cardio workouts?