Would it be cheating if you...

Options
Do a mini workout just so you feel a stretch / bones pop
Before you weigh in for the week / month ?

Like if you were doing it, and your heart raced and you felt warm.

Replies

• taekwonkenpo
    taekwonkenpo Posts: 1,004
    Options
    i have no idea what you are talking about.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I don't think doing any type of workout would be considered cheating.
  • rustvaar
    rustvaar Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to "cheat" a weigh-in?
    Weigh yourself under similar circumstances on a timescale that suits you.

If that's every day after waking up or every week before you go to bed just make sure the conditions are as close to the original setting as they can be.

If you want to "cheat" yourself are you sure you have the correct mindset for the task ahead?
  • Tetonia
    Tetonia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Working out any time and in any way is not cheating.

Eating whatever you want isn't cheating either. It is simply a food choice.

There are no rules aboout weighing yourself. The scale is not lord and master.
  • sss1966
    sss1966 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Why would it be cheating to exercise? Go for it.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I think I heard you can weigh more after exercise but I've never checked myself.
  • Jessie169
    Jessie169 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Would it actualy make any difference to your weight if you weighed yourself straight after?
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Would it actualy make any difference to your weight if you weighed yourself straight after?

Yes. I've done this just to check - weighed immediately before workout and immediately after. I can easily fluctuate 2-3 lbs over the course of an intense 1 hour cardio session at the gym. Presumably just from sweating it out.

With regards to the OP - I always weigh myself after exercise. I'm consistent about it though - I don't weigh myself before exercise one week and after another week.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    If you weigh that much less after exercising then you're not drinking enough water. Sweating dehydrates you, so any losses you see will be water weight, not fat. You don't burn a noticeable amount of fat in one workout unless you're running a marathon or something. Look for a trend over time, i.e. 0.5-2lb a week, when you weigh in the same conditions each time (as someone else has already explained). Fat is burned slowly, and it's gained slowly. Big jumps in weight within a day or two are not fat, but water weight. A slow and steady loss of weight over time is what you expect with healthy fat loss. Very obese people may be able to lose more than 2lb of fat a week. The leaner you are the harder it is to lose fat without also losing lean body mass so you need to adjust your weekly/monthly targets accordingly (i.e. aim for slower fat loss the leaner you are already).

Also look for changes in inch measurements and how your clothes fit. Sometimes you'll see a loss in inches or your clothes feel looser, but the scale stays the same.... this is success. How your clothes fit and inch measurements counts for more than scale weight does.
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    If you weigh that much less after exercising then you're not drinking enough water. Sweating dehydrates you, so any losses you see will be water weight, not fat.

Absolutely. However I don't drink water before or during my workout. Makes me feel sick. However I down a good 2 litres of water afterwards! Whatever works for you.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    If you weigh that much less after exercising then you're not drinking enough water. Sweating dehydrates you, so any losses you see will be water weight, not fat.

Absolutely. However I don't drink water before or during my workout. Makes me feel sick. However I down a good 2 litres of water afterwards! Whatever works for you.

I didn't mean to address my post to you directly, so apologies if you thought that, I don't think I even read your post. I was addressing the OP (by that much I meant any significant amount of weight loss, in relation to people who think they're seeing a fat loss and don't rehydrate at all). I agree with what you wrote above, you're staying hydrated, that's great :)
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    water retention etc will cause weight fluctuations as much as exercise might. Just don't stress about it, get on the scales whenever is convenient and just try to do it under same conditions (i.e. time of day) as you can.

This is a slow process and initially weight loss can appear painfully slow and you can feel the need to eke out as much loss as you can. Step back and think of the bigger picture, you are here, you are doing this and you are going to see the scale move. Don't focus on the scale, focus on the fact that your on your way and getting healthier and fitter every single day you wake up. Even think about putting the scales away for 2 weeks if you are relying on them too much.

Also take photos of yourself now and measure yourself too. You will definitely need those later to compare with and share on this website under 'Success Stories'

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • Zommbunny
    Options
    i have no idea what you mean by stretching and popping your bones.
    It really wont make a difference if its the same time and under the same conditions each week
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    well, weigh yourself, do the exercise, wiegh again. and then tell us if it made any difference. :wink: