getting into this too fast?

Options
Hi, I'm Amber, I am 5'4 and don't have a scale but I *think* I am around 209. I am scared to weigh myself - what if I weigh more than that? I'm ashamed. I am fat. Fatty with a tire around my stomach. My stomach turns at the shame I feel. I know they sell scales at good will but I don't want to know.

I have cut out carbs, doing the 20g a day. I walked a whole 27 minutes (was too cold to go any longer!) around the trailer park. I only ate 1600 calories today. This may seem like a daily thing for most of you but I just started.

Am I going at this too fast? How did you guys start out?

Replies

• andersonjo0306
    andersonjo0306 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    First things first. Stop putting yourself down. You should be proud, you have taken the first steps to getting healthy, you are on here. Second I personnally understand being afraid to weigh yourself so buy an inexpensive tape measure and start off measuring yourself. When you see the inches drop you will be motivated to weigh yourself. Once I lost 13 inches I decided to weigh in. Yes it was higher than I thought but at the same time I thought well then I wonder how much I have lost. Then I started to track.

There enough people out there that will put you down and do their best to make you feel bad, DONT do it to yourself. This is a hard lesson to learn (I know) but get yourself some positive and motivating people from here and start your journey.

Jump in with both feet and you will start to feel better about yourself in no time

Hugs
  • hollylongton
    Options
    You're doing great, you've taken the most important step and addressed that you want/need to be healthier.
    I really think you should get on those scales though, then you can get a good idea of what's what. If it seems too daunting, measure yourself, or take a photo and then after a couple of weeks re-measure/take another photo.

Good luck and well done!
  • DinoSaurous
    DinoSaurous Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Your doing great, the first few steps are always the hardest. Stop putting yourself down too, everybody is beautiful it is just society that is ugly

Your body will soon start to tell you if you are going to quick. Good luck :)
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Hi, congratulations for taking the first step! :flowerforyou: For myself, I only try to change one thing at a time... like first add exercise, then add changes in diet. However, if doing both at once feels comfortable for you, then I'd say go for it!

I would also try starting to replace some of those negative self statements with positive ones. Every day, find a SINGLE thing that you're proud of, satisfied with, something you did well. Negative self talk is a terrible habit we get into, but positive self talk can also become a habit if you practice at it.

I'm sending you a friend request; accept it if you like!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting started!

20 g of carbs is really low and requires cutting out entire food groups - no grains, no dairy, no fruits, no beans, limited vegetables. Most people do not find this sustainable. In the long run, it can be detrimental to your health if you are not conscious of getting a variety of nutrients. Please consider looking into eating a more balanced diet.
  • texasokie
    texasokie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi Amber. My name is Pam (Texasokie). I know exactly where you're coming from...I've been there more times than I can count. I started out by making small changes in my eating habits. It wasn't easy and I've had a few days where I'd slip back into old eating ways and would be down on myself but then with the help of friends from here I've learned that when that happens to just tell myself that tomorrow is a new day and start over the next day on a positive note. I'm 5'2" and started out at 230 lbs 3 yrs ago. I got down to 170 then thought I could do it on my own, next thing I knew I was back up to 198! I joined MFP and love all the support here, the friends on this site are the best!! I'm now working on getting motivated to start a workout program, not for sure what yet but have been experimenting with different kinds of workouts. I'm going to take it slow and easy so I don't get burned out, I figure if I start with 3 days a week (20 - 30 min) each time I will eventualy work my way up to every day. That's how I'm getting started...just find what works for you and start out SLOWLY. You CAN do this, we all can! Feel free to add me as a friend if you want.
  • lioness0806
    lioness0806 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Even though this is scary for you, I commend you for taking the first step! We all have to start somewhere.

When you signed up for MFP you were given recommendations on your diet. If I were you I'd follow those. Then, once you're comfortable with that then start tweeking the different macro/micro nutrients to fit your lifestyle. As far as your workout goes, great job for being so motivated. As I said, we all have to start somewhere.

If you like, you are welcome to friend me.
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

20 g of carbs is really low and requires cutting out entire food groups - no grains, no dairy, no fruits, no beans, limited vegetables. Most people do not find this sustainable. In the long run, it can be detrimental to your health if you are not conscious of getting a variety of nutrients. Please consider looking into eating a more balanced diet.

^Very strongly second this. To start, I would focus on moderating your regular diet (portion control) and limiting/cutting out a few really high impact indulgences (e.g., soda, fast food). I still eat bread and pasta, but not with the gusto I used to. I'm having pancakes this morning.

Feel free to add me, and good luck!
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I was afraid to weigh myself for a while. Then I finally decided to buy a scale and do it. That turned out to be the motivation I needed to lose weight. The number on the scale is what it is regardless of whether or not you know it. Then I became obsessive about checking that number every day. When I saw it going down, that helped motivate me to continue eating better.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Hello.You can feel free to add me if you'd like to.

I agree with those who said that you should be PROUD that you are taking the first steps in becoming healthy. You're doing the right thing for yourself, for those who you love, and who love you. That is nothing to be ashamed of. At all.

I agree if a scale is not an option for you, then do get a cloth tape measure. However, the sooner you are honest with yourself, the better. I was 278lbs when I started making changes, and that was not something that I found out from my weighing myself.I had to go to the doctor and HAD to step on the scale! I *thought* that I was 180.Yeah, try 98lbs heavier than that. So it's not that I don't understand! Good luck! :drinker:
  • justjo83
    justjo83 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I agree....the diets do work but not for the long term. A lot of people that go on restricted diets end up gaining it back because its hard to keep a diet like that. Keeping a balanced diet with all the food groups and keeping an eye on the calories is the healthy and best way to keep a long term weight loss.
  • Cinny107
    Options
    Hey amber
    I think you,re doing it just right. I wish I would do the walking an calorie watching like yore doing. I,m disgusted with myself at 167 lbs and only 5.0 feet tall. Anyhow , hang in there and maybe you,ll inspire me
  • Bonsager
    Bonsager Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Break that pattern of putting yourself down. Put that @#$% in the past. The only thing that matters is today and forward. You can do it!
  • nonnicee
    Options
    Congratulations on making the decision to make a change in your life. I read through the other comments and would add a few thoughts that I did not see verbalized. I do my best to eat foods that are as close to the way God provided them. Eat fresh vegetables (frozen if fresh is not available), eat the best meat you can afford, avoid the manufactured foods that come in boxes and other packaging. Along another line, personally, I do better if I weigh-in every day. My weight can fluctuate several pounds from day to day, but I know that happens due to water retention, the time of month, etc. Measuring is a terrific way to gauge your progress. Ditch the negative self-talk. It is a BAD HABIT to get into and a hard one to break. I wish you all the best. Hang in there, nothing will change until you make the decision and stick to it. Friend me if you like...:smile:
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds like you're doing great. Not sure I could live on 20grams of carbs, but to each their own in that area. Walking is a great way to start out, and it doesn't sound like you're eating too little. Continue doing what your doing, and once you lose some weight, add in some other things as well. Push ups, crunches, jumping jacks etc. Not sure if you belong to a gym, but if so, definitely utilitze it. Good luck and great job on taking the first steps toward becoming a healthier you! Also, I'm the same height and I started out a lot heavier than you (259). So if I can do it, so can you! Think positive and look for ways to keep motivated (I use MPF for motivation).
  • irun4pizza
    Options
    The first step in weight loss is accepting you want to change. I suggest buying a scale, but don't use it as a way to judge yourself or speak harshly about your weight. That will just make you feel worse.

Use it as a tool - like how you use myfitnesspal - to hit your goal.

Next, set realistic goals for yourself. If you weigh 200, make your first goal losing 10 pounds. Work up from there.

Most of us on this website are either trying or have done it. We're all here to help!
  • GADavies
    GADavies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Am I going at this too fast? How did you guys start out?
    Set myself a 1500 calorie limit, started exercising. Weight loss can be hard, but it's never complicated.
  • 98by2014
    98by2014 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm 5 ft 2(ish) and 201, so we have similar stats.
    I'm doing the same sort of thing as you but cutting down to 1200 a day. You don't have to rule out carbs completely, i've found. I have a sandwich every day for lunch and I still manage to make my goal. I've made little changes, such as having a sandwich on brown bread with only a few slices of pieces of meat and a lot of salad in it, as well as a lot of fresh fruit such as pineapple, berries and grapes. If fresh fruit isn't available to you, frozen fruit it pretty easy to get a hold of and can be cheaper than buying fresh, plus it lasts longer if that's a worry. I also have worked on my portion control - I used to eat huge a** meals, which contributed to my huge a**, haha.

Anyway, I think you're doing this at a very steady pace but mainly you need to stop putting yourself down. The key to losing weight and positive body image is to be happy with yourself - instead of being annoyed that you weigh that much, be happy that you've decided to move on and lose that weight. It may be a struggle at first, but you'll start to see results soon.

Good luck with your journey!
  • SimplyKeia
    SimplyKeia Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That was a very uplifting comment ... It sure encouraged me...
  • applekrisp1988
    Options
    Thanks to all you kind people. I feel very welcomed here - and guess what? I decided to give your suggestions some thought and you are absolutely right. Going on a strict no carb diet isn't for me. It isn't for anyone. I feel like barfing after eating all that bacon, chicken, and fish today. I DEVOURED an entire cup of pineapple because of it! I saw that can in the pantry and went for it.

From now on its balance, balance, balance. I'm literally nauseated from all that meat I ate today and I LOVE meat. But I want to cut most of it out to make room for tasty green beans, spinach, pineapple, cabbage, oh and my favorite and the biggest low carb no-no ever, GRAPEFRUIT!

Thanks friends!