Protein Shakes?? Help/ideas

Options
I have decided to start drinking protein shakes with my workouts,
I was not sure what flavor to get so I went with the cookies and cream one
Not sure if that was a good choice? Does anybody else like this one? I am not very picky
But I am just not sure if it will taste good or what to mix it with? Any help/ideas??

Replies

• Txash
    Txash Posts: 7
    Options
    We bought the Chocolate, it was very chalky but nothing I couldn't tolerate. I usually end up chugging it anyway. But later on we got Vanilla to mix with our smoothies...It does the trick! I'm already on my second jug of vanilla.
  • qballjr13
    qballjr13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    The flavoring really depends on the brand that you are drinking. What brand did you buy?
  • Lissy552
    Options
    We got Body Fortress, I was thinking about getting the vanilla but I just was not sure
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I just started this too. I got chocolate, because it was the only one in the store at the time. I'd rather have Vanilla. This is sort of chunky, doesn't mix really easily. It clumps. But it's a good flavor. Choco Rite Protein Mix. They make a sugar-free version of it too, that's what I'll be getting next time, I think.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I like the Advocare Muscle Gain chocolate ones. Not too chalky, doesnt have the nasty after taste the Shakeology ones have (in my opinion) and arent crazy sweet like the Body by VI ones.
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I used to just get vanilla or chocolate. But found the cookies and cream Body Fortress tastes better. It gets sticky so I mix 1 scoop with 1/2 cup skim milk and 1/2 cup water for after a workout. Its popular here so I have so stock up.
    it does get small chunks but I bought a shaker designed for protein shakes works well or a whisk. Put the liquid in first so it won't stick to the bottom. :)
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I like the cookies and cream one. Body fortress is good. As long as it tastes good enough to you then go for it . Plus it's really cheap
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    The Chocorite that I have right now says to mix 2 scoops with 1.5 cups of water. I don't like that. I've been using just one scoop. But even then, I find that it tastes much much too sweet for me. Even the premade shakes like Ensure and Boost just taste like drinking melted ice cream. I can't handle that much sweetness in one taste. I'm not sure that I'm going to be sticking with this.

What I'd really like to find is something with no flavor that I can sprinkle on top of my cereal, like people do with flax seeds, ha ha.
  • kaleas
    kaleas Posts: 200
    Options
    As a Vegetarian, I went with BioChem Whey Protein, either the Greens and Whey in Vanilla, or the regular Whey Protein in Vanilla. It mixes wonderful in anything. Doesn't get chunky, and doesn't taste weird like many protein-spiked things do.

I mix two scoops (20g protein) with half a cup of almond milk, half a banana, and frozen berries. I would definitely try it with almond/soy milk instead of just water. Flax Seed and dates are a good choice to add as well.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Here are some ideas to add to your shakes to boost flavor. You can add a banana, some jello budding, 1-2 TBSP, any flavor, cookies n cream, or butterscotch are my favorite. Strawberries, or peanut butter. I can tell you this, though. I have tried the Visalus shakes, and they are sooooooo yummy, with lots of recipes for different flavors. I'll warn you though, once you try them, it will be hard to drink another brand of protein shake, and they are expensive, about $60/bag, which lasts about 30 days. They also give you a few packets of add-ins, for flavor and vitamins/energy.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I've recently added in a shake after my vigorous work outs (3 days a week), I have the Body Fortress in Vanilla Cream. It's not bad mixed with milk, but really awful with water. I was too weary to get the chocolate, it's hit-or-miss sometimes.

I usually just drink it with the milk, but I do have some unsweetened cocoa, some mint extract... I tried the Body-by-Vi fad, so I know what I flavors I can try..

Maybe some PB and some cocoa...

(rambled response, sorry, thinking with my keyboard again) hehe
  • particleastro
    particleastro Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Is the BodyFortress stuff from Holland and Barret? If so there are many better blends at much better cost available.
    I'd really try and get an unflavoured one though and try some of the great ideas above if you cant stomach the taste of a plain whey.

Also you may want to try having a whey/protein shake upon rising, depending on what you normally eat for breakfast. I used to chug about 5 of these a day (trust me, road to nowhere) but still always have one in the morning first thing. In fact, I have it beside the bed so I can have it as soon as I wake, which normally buys me another thirty mins in bed!

JU