Left Hungry from my Smoothie :(

Options
2»

Replies

• tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone suggesting protein powder, its very satiating.

Or if you don't feel weird about it, crack an egg into your smoothie, I know north American culture doesn't eat raw eggs but we always did lol
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone suggesting protein powder, its very satiating.

Or if you don't feel weird about it, crack an egg into your smoothie, I know north American culture doesn't eat raw eggs but we always did lol
    I do this in my protein shakes daily... Tastes delicious!
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Leave the yogurt out, and substitute about 4 cups of spinach. Green smoothies are better for you, and the bulk of it will keep you fuller. I eat smoothies a lot, and even a 150 calorie green smoothie (32 oz.) is filling for about 3 hours. And a really big, substantial one with like 5 cups of greens and 250-300 calories can keep me going for a couple hours longer. And I'm a big big guy.

Anyway, all fruit smoothies, especially with yogurt... I think it would taste better and be more filling if eaten in it's component parts, not blended.

I'm not saying green smoothies taste better... of course they don't. But adding green leaves is super healthy, adds very little calories, and I think is more filling.
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    This morning I thought I had a really good idea for a breakfast smoothie. However, despite the fact it had an entire frozen banana in it and 6 ounces of Greek Yogurt, I was still hungry. Here's what I put in: 7 frozen strawberries, 2 handfuls of frozen blueberries, the frozen banana, and a individual container of Greek yogurt, 2 kiwis, and an orange. Since it was very thick, I also added a bit of Diet Serra Mist to thin it enough so I could sip it through a straw. It tasted great, but the 462 calories I estimated it to be were not filling for me. Any ideas on how I can make this smoothie satisfy me till lunch? Also, the 462 calories is pushing it. I'd like to keep breakfast under 400 if possible.

That's a carb bomb. Very little protein for the calorie cost. Here, try these:

http://melbalivingonless.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-blond-bomb-protein-shake.html
    http://melbalivingonless.blogspot.com/2013/01/amelia-pond-protein-shake.html
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    A super simple change you can make, that will change the comp of your smoothie in a positive way is switch to plain Greek Yogurt. The flavored has a lot of added carbs, and a lot less protein... You get the flavor from the fruit in the smoothie, why add the extra?
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Toasted muesli in banana smoothies is amazing and makes them way. way more filling.
  • IndianaGirlEats
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the good ideas everyone! I'm soo inspired that I plan to try making a more filling smoothie after my workout today. Yay!! :drinker:
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Strawberries and blueberries do not raise your blood sugar the way sweeter/higher carb foods do. My suggestion is to add protein powder and peanut butter. Soy milk is also good protein. Skip the Sierra MIst--that is just crap. In fact you should never drink soda--diet or otherwise. Even diet soda makes you fat. If you need to make your smoothie thinner, add water. You will never know the difference.

My morning smoothie is:

2 cups Silk Regular Soy Milk
    1 cup frozen strawberries
    1 cup frozen blueberries (the berries are eyeballed, and the ratio can change)
    1 banana
    1 TBSP natural peanut butter
    2 scoops Nature's Life Soy Protein - Super-Green Pro-96

BLEND!

Sugar: 38 g
    Protein: 68 g
    Calories: 686
    Carbs: 73 g
    Fat: 17 g
    Fiber: 17 g

This smoothie keeps me full from 8 am to 3 pm (ish). On low calorie burn days, I will often have an energy or meal replacement bar (250-400 cal) for lunch.
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I usually feel satisfied after eating my smoothies. I don't like to add protein powder to mine because I don't think that getting protein that way is the best on an an everyday basis. This morning I used

4-6oz of non-fat vanilla greek yogurt
    6 strawberries
    12 blackberries
    1 banana
    ice
    271 Calories

My smoothies have been staying under 400 calories. I want to start adding spinach/kale for more nutrients. I usually feel hungry about two hours later, which isn't bad, I just munch on some sunflower nuts or almonds in between lunch and breakfast. I just love eating smoothies because I love fruit. I also have felt awesome the last couple weeks I've been eating them. Just try eating something between meals, or add some peanut butter, but I would personally avoid protein powder unless you are super low on protein.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    2 c spinach
    1 scoop protein powder
    1/2 cup 1% milk
    1 TBS peanut butter

264 calories, 16 carbs, 11 fat, 28 protein

I have this almost every morning. It keeps me full until lunchtime. I'll keep drinking my food, thanks.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Try adding a vegetable with a subtle taste that you won't notice like spinach or cucumber. The added fiber might help with making you feel fuller, longer.
  • Carolstone1959
    Carolstone1959 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Agree with brower47 re:fiber. I stopped using bananas in my smoothies since the sugar, carbs and calories were torpedoing my Food Diary. AND my smoothies just made me hungrier.
    Then I started using about 1/3 of an avocado instead of the banana. I scoop out all the avocado into a bowl, take 1/3 of it and add it to my smoothie. To the remaining avocado , I add about 1 Tbsp of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar (to prevent browning) and do a rough mash. The mashed mixture then gets put into a ice cube tray (makes about 6 cubes) and popped into the freezer. When the cubes are completely frozen, I remove them from the tray and place in a ziplock bag that lives in the freezer. When I don't have a ripe avocado, I add 2-4 frozen 'cado cubes to my smoothie
    The avocado makes it creamy but adds lots of fiber and it keeps me full for a long while. I won't lie-the taste takes some getting used to. Raw cacao powder makes it work for me. Even if I go back to adding banana, though, I'll continue to add avocado.
    You could try 1/2 banana and 1/4 avocado. Unless you train your palate to enjoy less sugar you'll be tempted to add something to sweeten it. Try to taste the flavors and resist adding lots of sweet stuff. Before long, your taste buds will need less sugar than you thought possible.
  • Cakes2go
    Cakes2go Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You might try adding chia seeds, they have great fiber in them and healthy fat that will keep you full till lunch. One tablespoon full will do it. It holds me till lunch. Also try trading the Greek yogurt for unsweetened almond milk. It'll get your calories back to where you want to keep them.