Fitness Gadgets

Options
I am looking for something to help me determine the calories I burn during a workout. There are so many different kinds, it gets confusing. I have a hrm but don't think it works right as it always shows way more cal burned than what the treadmill says I burn. I want to do zumba and strength training am looking for something that will tell me cal burned. I see a lot of ads on fitbit and other hrm's as well as bands that go around the arm. My hrm is a cheap one from Walmart and like I said I don't think it's correct. If you use some kind of gadget could you please tell me about it and how accurate you think it is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• jgrode1984
    Options
    I have a polar ft4 and it seem to be rather accurate. I've also heard really great things about fitbit, of course after I purchased the ft4.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    The fitbit is basically a pedometer...it does steps, calories burned ( activity+BMR), distance, flights of steps, then it has a clock and a flower that grows to show intensity. I wear mine 24/7 to establish TDEE. The only exercise I claim on MFP is my fitbit adjustment.
  • PollyWolly98
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 HRM to calculate calories burned when I take classes at the gym or go out running. I also have a Fitbit for tracking my steps and general activity level. Based on what you have described, I would recommend you get a better HRM for your needs. The Fitbit is very motivating, but likely will not give you an accurate number of calories for Zumba. Or get both, like me ;)
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Do a search on here for Bodymediafit. This is to be worn all day.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    I just bought the bowflex fitwatchf30 today .... regular price 99.00 on sale for 30 at big5... I am new to the fitness gadgets so I am not sure how to work it at this time but the price is great.... you can either wear it on your wrist or use the chest strap .