I've done it before, I'll do it again!!!

Options
My sister finally talked me into creating a profile and logging my journey to the new me. Hi, I am a 43 year old - happily married although somewhat overweight young woman. In my late 20s, I lost 23 pounds to my goal weight back then :-) - but it took me 23 months to do it. I kept the weight off for over 5 years. I was the group leader in a weight loss support group - I conducted motivational seminars at state rallies, and encouraged everyone out there that they could also reach their fitness goals. Then, at the age of 34 - the C word struck my body - yep - breast cancer. In just a matter of months, I faced radical surgery, chemotherapy, radiation - and who would have guessed 35 ugly pounds due to the steroid medication throughout the treatment. Over the past 9 years, 15 more pounds have found their way to various parts of my body. I have tried to deny, disguise, and hide the weight - but the truth is - I am not the me I know I want to be. Yes, to a degree, I define who I am by what I see.

Now, my husband adores me - he was my fiance through the chemo - when I lost every hair on my body, he told me I was beautiful. My body looks like I have been the project in a butcher shop - and he still tells me I am beautiful, everyday. He loves all of me - and has never criticized my body. But, I know I can be more beautiful to him and to me - it is just going to be another journey to that destination. So, here I am blogging this new adventure of rediscovering the me I am - the ups the downs and everything in between. Journaling was the key to my success before - I am sure it will be this time, too.

I am actually under doctor's order to lose weight. The order came two days before Thanksgiving 2012. I saw the doc after convincing myself there just had to be something medically wrong that was hindering my weight loss - but, every test has come back normal - and I am extremely thankful for that!! So, I have accepted my weight problem can only be blamed on my choices. I met the goal of losing 6 pounds by January 8th - now, he has set a new goal of 10 more pounds by April 9th. He suggested no carbs - but I know me - that would not work for me. Quick fixes are only band aids to the real issue. I just need to eat less - eat healthier - and increase my activity - it's working so far!!! No more excuses! I am even fortunate to have a job that allows working out 2 days a week (one hour each day) on company time - in the fitness center provided at my work site - how awesome is that?!?!?!?!

Yesterday was my first day - it wasn't so bad - but I see there is much room for improvement - I do control my destiny. It is up to me to be the me I want to be.

Replies

• Anmariee
    Anmariee Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Your fiance/husband sounds amazing... I look forward to being MFP pals with you. You seem quite amazing!!!
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! I love your positive attitude. I was at goal weight a couple of years ago too, but hadn't fixed the fact that I hated my body. I have worked on that. Now I accept myself for who I am. I just want to be a healthier me. You can do this. If you can get through cancer, you can do anything.
  • GG113
    GG113 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You, my sister, are MY inspiration! I've seen you're discipline and determination and I KNOW where your strength comes from! You've got this!
  • chelseabrown61
    Options
    What an inspiring life you have lived! Good luck on all of your weight loss goals. After everything you have been thru and overcome weight is just one more thing you will surly master! Good luck on your journey to the happier, healthier you!!

-Chelsea
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Got to love a person with such a take charge attitude towards their own life. I'm sure you will start gathering a new support group around you that will benefit so much from you. Congrats on the wonderful Hubby and for beating the cancer. Can't wait to see you reach goal. :happy: