Kettebell beginner - help please!

Options
I'm looking to start my weight training and treat myself to a kettlebell on payday (don't earn enough for a Gym membership!)

I just wanted to check - is 6kg a good starting weight with no lifting experience? I used 1kg weights for 30Day Shred and that's it so far!

And is it socially acceptable to buy a pink one? I think it will make me more inclined to use it then :laugh:

any help for a beginner would be awesome, thanks :)

Replies

• jenbenefit
    jenbenefit Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Pink?
    Hmmmmm. The jury is out on that one.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    8kg might have been better, but you're only siding on the side of caution rather than using a joke kettlebell.

Here's a good resource http://breakingmuscle.com/news-articles/kettlebells

It looks a bit hardcore at first glance, but if you go through the older stuff, you'll find links to the very most basic of moves.

Learn to squat. Master the squat. Then learn to swing, then high pull, then snatch. Learn the turkish get up and presses whenever.
  • jenbenefit
    Options
    8kg might have been better, but you're only siding on the side of caution rather than using a joke kettlebell.

Here's a good resource http://breakingmuscle.com/news-articles/kettlebells

It looks a bit hardcore at first glance, but if you go through the older stuff, you'll find links to the very most basic of moves.

Learn to squat. Master the squat. Then learn to swing, then high pull, then snatch. Learn the turkish get up and presses whenever.

THANKYOU! I was thinking bentwen 6-10KG but didn't want to aim too high, injure myself, and i saw 2-4kg ones and thought that won't be nearly enough of a challenge.

i've bookmarked the link and will have a read in the morning when I'm less tired :smile:
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    You gotta start somewhere. Kettlebells & walking are pretty much my only exercises. I use this site: http://livefitrevolution.org/
  • Dino924
    Dino924 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I started with a 10 lb one and then got a 15 lb one (not sure of the kilogram conversion). My 15 lb one is grey and purple!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Angie Miller's Kettlebell bootcamp is a good dvd as well...Six kg is a nice one to start off with - it lasted me for quite a while, and the last time I did kettlebells, I still used it for the one arm swings...
    And I love pink - my 6kg one is bright orange.....
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Angie Miller's Kettlebell bootcamp is a good dvd as well...Six kg is a nice one to start off with - it lasted me for quite a while, and the last time I did kettlebells, I still used it for the one arm swings...

No it's not.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options

No it's not.

Maybe explain why not? She already stated she's a beginner.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options

No it's not.

Maybe explain why not? She already stated she's a beginner.

Perhaps more helpful to state what IS?
  • OhFitness
    OhFitness Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    1. Checkout Valery Fedorenko. He's the World Champion kettlebell athlete with the highest records STILL standing. He giving away FREE kettlebell instruction through http://worldkettlebellclub.com/valeryfedorenko/ . So, no need to buy any videos unless you want to.

2. Start off with the smallest number you can find to master technique. If you think you'll really be into it, get one of those kettlebells with the adjustable weight plates.

3. Check with the county recreation department where you live for a gym membership. I live in Maryland, and the county that I live is has a recreation department with several gyms (over 20) that are pretty kept in service with resident tax dollars. Residents only pay a very small supplemental annual fee to use the gyms/pools/racquetball courts...other stuff too. Your area may have these county/state run recreation centers too. It might even be free for you.
  • aost
    aost Posts: 44
    Options
    if you are starting at home i would probably buy a 8 kg, and build my workouts around it.
    I would totally get a pink one.. my gym has one PINK kettlebell which is 12 kg and Im pushing myself to be able to use it..

Good luck!!
  • jenbenefit
    Options
    thanks to everyone for their advice =)
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I would try and start with 8kg. It will be challenging, but you'll soon progress. With 6kg it might get too easy too quickly!

The most important thing is form. I like this guy on youtube who does a series of kettlebell basics. I also like iron core DVDs. Best advice I have been given - its all in the hips - keep them tight and use them to power the bells movement,

Hope you enjoy the kettlebell as much as I have!
  • nanook37
    nanook37 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a 8kb at a minimum and live fir revolution is a great free resource on how to use a kettlebell properly...
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Just one caveat, if you have any kind of back trouble, I hate to have you waste the money, but unless and until you strengthen your core, you can strain and throw your back out with a kettlebell. I love mine, but I tried to start too heavy.

It bothered my back. I backed off to a lighter weight until my form was perfect and my core was strong enough to maintain it with the tension during the swing. Then, I moved back up.

But, this only applies if you have any lower back issues.