Food Addiction

Options
My name is Kris and I'm a food addict. Even though I have been successful on losing weight within this last year, it's been an EVERY day process. I still want to eat junk everyday - I still want to deal with my emotions by eating food. I use the AA mantra "ODAAT" One Day at a Time. It IS a one day at a time process for me.

I have learned new strategies and tools to NOT overeat...but it still isn't easy.

Anybody else going through this?

Replies

• Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    A book I am reading right now is this. I got it off of amazon.com and it seems like it can help me with my food addiction. Like you, I still want to eat junk and deal with my emotions by eating. Binging is a real problem for me that has hindered my weight loss. What strategies have you learned that have helped you?

The Compassionate-Mind Guide to Ending Overeating: Using Compassion-Focused Therapy to Overcome Bingeing and Disordered Eating (The New Harbinger Compassion-Focused Therapy Series) [Paperback]
    Ken Goss PhD (Author), Paul Gilbert PhD (Foreword)

http://www.amazon.com/Compassionate-Mind-Guide-Ending-Overeating-Compassion-Focused/dp/1572249773/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359160257&sr=1-1&keywords=ending+overeating
  • JCam8383
    JCam8383 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    ME! I absolutly understand what you're going through. I have to make sure I plan out my meals every day because if I dont then I lose focus. It's really hard saying "no" to people who offer me junk food, esp after they ask me 8 times more after I say no the first time. When I'm stressed, sad, depressed- thats the worst. I just want to curl up on the couch and veg out with some ice cream. I do okay most days but other days are a disaster. If I do eat junk food I try to make it part of my calorie intake or excercise more. I dont have any solutions for you. I'm like you, one day at a time. Good luck to you and hopefully one day we can overcome this.
  • PamPeekeMD
    Options
    If it's any help to know, you're not weak.

There are no ifs ands or buts on the subject of food addiction: it is as real as cocaine or alcohol addiction and, in fact, affects exactly the same pleasure/impulse control centers of the brain as recognized drugs. This is especially true of what David Kessler calls hyperpalatable foods -- foods dense in calories from sugar/fat/salt. Oxford University Press has just published the medical textbook on the subject: Food and Addiction: A Comprehensive Handbook, edited by Kelly D. Brownwell & Mark S. Gold.

The good news -- and there IS good news -- is that a program of foods high in dopamine- and serotonin-boosting chemicals, along with numerous brain-amping activities (from simple exercise to listening to music) can regrow those receptors and bring the confidence of fulfillment and health. There is lots of low-cost help available to you, from 12-step programs to the latest research in the science of food addiction to exercise to free meditation classes in your area. Just believe and continue to reach out. :)