Orlistat

Options
Hey everyone! My name is Lauren I am new to this looking for some support while trying to lose weight :)

My doctor has suggested I try Orlistat I was wondering if any one could give me some advice or share your experience with using Orlistat?

I have to lose 2.5kg my the 25 feb to be considered for Orlistat so thats my goal! I also stopped smoking nearly two years ago and since feel i have replaced ciggies with food since i have nearly put 3 stone on!

feel free to add me :) x

Replies

• DonnaNCgirl
    Options
    I know nothing about Orlistat. Having been there and done that with yo-yo weight loss, I can say that the real change for me came when I decided to make changes in my diet and activity that would last. Not something I would suffer through until I lost the weight that I wanted to lose. It took me a lot longer to say that, but in the last year and 3 months I've lost almost 90 pounds (not sure how many stone that is). I'm happier with the way I look and feel than I have ever been. That translates into confidence. Confidence to do anything that I want to do. And ability to do it. There's nothing worse than wanting to do something but feeling physically unable to do it.

I know I've digressed from your topic, but let me go back to it and say that you can do anything you want to do. You can't do it for your boyfriend or even your son. You should do it for yourself and how it will make you feel and how it will allow you to do everything you want to do.

Good luck whatever you decide to do!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    no.

eat right
    work hard
    rinse
    repeat
  • speedgraphic19
    Options
    Orlistat, from what The Google tells me, functions by preventing the absorption of fat by your body. It works, but only IN CONJUNCTION WITH diet and exercise that lead to actual lifestyle modifications.

If it were me, I'd just make the lifestyle changes without the drug. Orlistat might help you lose weight somewhat faster, but the only way to keep that weight off is to change your dietary/exercise habits for good! Of course, it's ultimately up to you.

You can read up on it here though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlistat
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    no.

eat right
    work hard
    rinse
    repeat

Quoting that because that's what it all boils down to.

There was a thread here about alli. It didn't go over very well. The general consensus was "why take something that is going to make you poop yourself if you eat too much fat, if you can just cut back on eating that fat to begin with."

I've known folks that I have taken it, had horrific side effects, and when they stopped the pill.. they didn't end up changing their diet, and gained more weight. "Well, I don't have to worry about anal leakage any more, so lets have some more wings."

That's a phrase I never, ever want to utter.
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I tried a similar med prescribed my GP. Did nothing for my weight loss (as I didn't change my eating) but did make me poop my pants on several occasions. And what comes out!! OH. MY. STARS. :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed:
  • TheKidd2013
    TheKidd2013 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Just food for thought this type of drug has been linked to colon cancer - http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,282617,00.html

My doctor recommended it and I laughed at him ... no thanks !
  • CourtneyLin40
    CourtneyLin40 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you do use it, be prepared for what comes out the other end to not exactly be a pleasant experience. I have not tried any of the pancreatic lipase inhibitor drugs, but I know that is definitely a side effect.
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Here is why I wouldn't touch it:

The primary side effects of the drug are gastrointestinal-related, and include steatorrhea (oily, loose stools with excessive flatus due to unabsorbed fats reaching the large intestine), fecal incontinence and frequent or urgent bowel movements. :sick:

I agree with others about making a lifestyle change. You're going to have to do that anyway even if you take the drug and then once you discontinue treatment.

Good luck whatever you decide.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Yay! It's the "let's poop ourselves" diet again!
  • FruityLoops
    FruityLoops Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I tried Orlistat for a few months, it worked for me because it made me stick to the amount of fat they recommend you have per day/meal whilst on them (and therefore my calories also) because I didn't want to get the poops, and I didn't ever because of that. My quack advised it for me because I have PCOS and find it really difficult to lose weight, and whilst on those I did manage to lose a solid 2lb a week. Unfortunately they've been unavailable for quite a long while here now, otherwise I'd probably still be using them :-(
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Really, no.

I took this for a couple months last year and I literally **** myself in public, more than a couple times. And I didn't even know it was happening until I felt it running down my leg. Why did this happen? It works by stopping up to 30% fat being absorbed by the intestine. Don't want the nasty effects - simple, eat less fat with the pill - err, but then when you eat less fat you don't need the pill anyway...

So, take the pill and poop out fat, the time when you do this is decided at the last second by your bowel, not by yourself.

Don't take the pill, eat a balanced diet and have the choice of when you want to go to the bathroom.
  • losingweightfindingme
    Options
    I got Alli once to help me out, but I found that after reading the charming list of common side effects (like uncontrollable bowel movements), it scared me completely out of eating fat. Effective because i never took the med but lost weight because I was terrified of taking it and pooping myself...so I learned how to manage my fat intake on my own without the med. I much prefer using MFP and tracking my intake and expenditures. There is no side effect of MFP like uncontrollable bowels...and the company here just can't be beat!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that it works most as a deterrent diet. I don't dare eat fatty foods or you'll soil yourself... That's probably why it works IF it works. If you can get that motivated by yourself it'll save you all the hit and miss side effects.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Just use MFP for a while. Be consistent and patient.

Also, dietary fat is not evil. Your body needs it especially to absorb fat-soluble vitamins from food.
  • NHLeah
    NHLeah Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My husband was on it. Lost 28 lbs AND his gall bladder! BTW, he found the 28 lbs again later, the gall bladder is still missing.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Stop listening to non-health professionals and start listening to doctors. There are some folks on here that are so against anything but doing what they do that they shoot anything down without even considering it.

I have used Orlistat successfully. You must make diet and exercise changes for it to work. If you do not, you will poop your pants quite literally. All I know is that if you're on it, you don't want to go over on your fat and you'll be scared to. For me, I'm a binge-r and it really helped prevent that knowing I would have a myriad of bowel malfunctions if I went over on my fat.

You quite simply cannot take Orlistat without making significant changes to your diet, so for all those who want you to do that, well you've got that covered.

It's not a miracle. It just adds a little extra weight loss to your existing plan. You must be super strict on limiting your fat intake though, which is not what I care to do now, so I don't use it anymore.

I don't recommend it but I don't give it a negative review either. I just get sick of hearing people talk about something they've never taken or had any experience with. I'm fine with the woman whose husband took it. At least she has some proper feedback.
  • JellyRabbit
    JellyRabbit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The exact same happened to me, once you stop the pills the weight goes back on...

I have to say having gall bladder problems makes you lose weight...as your too **** scared to eat anything because of the pain..:(
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I have to lose 2.5kg my the 25 feb to be considered for Orlistat so thats my goal!

So you have to lose weight on your own to be considered for a drug to help you lose when you don't think you could do it on your own? These things always make me think of Dumbo's magic feather. He didn't need it to fly, you don't need a poop inducing pill. Get started now figuring the right calorie and macro intake for you. Figure out what exercise you can and want to do. Be aware of your obstacles to adhering to them (food triggers or injuries) and learn how to succeed despite them
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Stop listening to non-health professionals and start listening to doctors. There are some folks on here that are so against anything but doing what they do that they shoot anything down without even considering it.

I have used Orlistat successfully. You must make diet and exercise changes for it to work. If you do not, you will poop your pants quite literally. All I know is that if you're on it, you don't want to go over on your fat and you'll be scared to. For me, I'm a binge-r and it really helped prevent that knowing I would have a myriad of bowel malfunctions if I went over on my fat.

You quite simply cannot take Orlistat without making significant changes to your diet, so for all those who want you to do that, well you've got that covered.

It's not a miracle. It just adds a little extra weight loss to your existing plan. You must be super strict on limiting your fat intake though, which is not what I care to do now, so I don't use it anymore.

I don't recommend it but I don't give it a negative review either. I just get sick of hearing people talk about something they've never taken or had any experience with. I'm fine with the woman whose husband took it. At least she has some proper feedback.

By that note, I suppose I shouldn't talk about the American Revolution, because I don't have any experience with it, but I sure studied the **** out of it... how much did you study Orlistat? You can learn about something extensively without needing to take it or experience it. Most doctors I know of in their specialties haven't had cancer, or thyroid issues, or heart disease. I guess this rules out all male gynecologists, too, right?
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    you are going to have fatty diarrhea aka steatorrhea and deficiency of fat soluble vitamins, vit-k deficiency can be troublesome .
    before deciding please read up, Wikipedia is a good place to start and then systematically go through FDA drug information etc.
    good luck and take time to think about long term goals and what do you really want to do with life