no carb diet is FAILURE

Options
After a day of the no carb thing I've had enough. The advise I was given in my introduction thread was great, I now see why a no carb diet is unrealistic. Here is my food log for today:

Egg - Scrambled, 4 egg (44g)
Generic - John Morrell Bacon, 68 g

Double Luck - Canned Green Beans, 1 cup
Amick Farms - Boneless Skinless Chicken Tenders, 12 ounces (GROSS)
Wal-Mart Great Value - Party Peanuts (Salted), 60 peices

Generic - Frozen Tillapia, 16 oz.
Great Value - Reduced Fat 2% Mild Cheddar Cheese, 1 oz
Generic - John Morrell Bacon, 20 g

What a rubbish diet. I feel literally sick from all that grease and non nutritional fatty meat. Any suggestions on how to be good on carbs AND eat healthy?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Just eat. Log your foods, stay in budget and you'll be fine. No food is the demon that has to be avoided. You get fat eating too much not what you eat.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    instead of trying a NO carb diet ( which your day was not NO carb, but very very low) why not try a low carb instead? MFP seems to suggest at least 200g of carbs or more for most people...try cutting it down to 100g net ( total carbs minus fiber).
  • beachbums6
    beachbums6 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I did the no carb diet for a while and it does work. I missed the carbs. I now just log everything I eat and measure This helps me not over do it. Maybe have most of your carbs for breakfast and lunch and at dinner meat and vegetables.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Wow... you tried for a WHOLE DAY and now you've given up?

It works for some. Not for you but that's okay. Like Mokey41 says, log your food, stay in your calorie budget. Calories in vs. calories out = the answer.

If you really want answers instead of passing judgement based on your one day of testing run a search on topics like "healthy diet', "low carb diet", "vegetarian diet" ~ whatever you fancy. Spend some time reading and learning. That will get you much better results.

Good luck. It's a journey, a lifestyle change; no quick fix answers will last.
  • CrisAlex
    CrisAlex Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You also might want to try having less processed food - ditch the canned veggies and go for the real thing. You can cook chicken breasts and cut up fresh veggies ahead of time. I also agree with the other poster who suggests going lower carb rather than super low carb.
  • applekrisp1988
    Options
    I can do that better, allowing 100g of carbs allows soooo many more vegetables and room for some fruit.

My friend is doing the no carb thing and I don't see how he can stand to eat bacon instead of spinach or something with some nutritional value to it, but each to his own I guess.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no reason to give up any food or food group. Eat a wide variety real/whole/clean foods and stay within your calories (yes, eat your exercise calories). You will lose weight and be healthier.

No need to try the diet flavor of the week.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. Go for 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat if you want to even do macros for weight loss... but here's my recommendation:

Get 1g protein daily for each pound of body weight, meet your daily calorie target and let your carbs and fat intake land wherever you want each day. Some days you'll feel like more carbs; some days you'll feel like more fat...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Misinformation is the problem... Someone told you that in order to go no/low carb you can only eat meat, dairy and for some reason, peanuts (lots of carbs). That's just wrong. Atkins induction phase includes tons of veggie options. Do your research first and then give it another try if you want.

Or just approach this like many of us do and eat the foods you like, clean up your diet a bit with more fruits and veg, leaner meats and healthier fat sources and keep your portions under control. There's no need to go low carb to lose the weight...
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Not for everyone! Pick up the pieces and try something else.

Or prepare you own foods, no canned anything if you can avoid it.

Carbs aint the debil, but the diet is a tool that can be effective.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Carbs arent the enemy unless you have a medical issue nor does low carb provide any greater advantage long term. Eat moderate carbs, aim to get most from fruits and veggies and some from gains.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I've done it and it worked for me and I liked the foods I was eating. I would never make myself eat a canned vegetable. Why? That's gross. Commercial chicken tenders-- frozen? Garbage. If you want to make this work, eat good wholesome meats, nuts and cheeses. I did not eat reduced fat cheese either. Eat stuff you enjoy that is real.

That said, I think something like South Beach, that incorporates salad and stuff, is healthier and more sustainable in the long run. Or count calories. Then you can eat whatever you like, with only the restriction of a number of calories.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

BACON!!!!

What a rubbish diet. I feel literally sick from all that grease and non nutritional fatty meat.

Nevermind, I'm out. Try something else, this ain't for you.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    People are under the impression that if you don't eat breads, pasta, rice, grains that you are on a no carb diet. Fruits and vegetables are full of carbs and are much better for you. Wheat, grains, potatoes etc are not a necessity for the body. You don't need them.
    Quinoa and sweet potatoes are great choices if you want complex carbs.
    This is one of those topics that will have much debate, but one needs to do extensive research on their own and not rely on one source.
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    After a day of the no carb thing I've had enough. The advise I was given in my introduction thread was great, I now see why a no carb diet is unrealistic. Here is my food log for today:

What a rubbish diet. I feel literally sick from all that grease and non nutritional fatty meat. Any suggestions on how to be good on carbs AND eat healthy?

maybe cut back on the bacon? do full fat dairy instead of low fat...the process of removing fat from dairy freaks me out and i'm convinced it has to be worse than just eating the regular stuff. and can you try to eat REAL food? what's with all the pre-packaged, canned stuff?

i've followed low carb/primal for YEARS! it takes some getting used to. you sort of go through a low-carb "flu" then after about 1-2 weeks, it sort of hits you that you're ok and feeling great, energized, clear. i don't know what sort of change you expect to see in one day.

i also just don't eat meat and dairy. i also eat a wide variety of veggies, berries and oranges, nuts, lots of coconut products...i mostly stick to whole foods. as far as grains, i do brown rice and quinoa. i really think you should re-visit low-carbing as you have the wrong idea based on what you're eating.

i will say this though...i went back to eating refined carbs over the summer and into the holidays. no problems at all however, i found that refined carbs always left me wanting more. my sugar-tooth was out of control.

but to each his own. what works for me may not work for you. best of luck!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

Check out the South Beach Diet plan. It is more about slow carbs, low GI foods, healthy fats, leaner proteins, fresh whole veggies and fruits. Much more of a balanced lifestyle, choosing high fiber carbs and healthy foods. Sustainable for life.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    add fruits and veggies yumm
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I can do that better, allowing 100g of carbs allows soooo many more vegetables and room for some fruit.

My friend is doing the no carb thing and I don't see how he can stand to eat bacon instead of spinach or something with some nutritional value to it, but each to his own I guess.

for sure!!

I try to keep my carbs around 100g net . I still manage to eat a huge breakfast, occasional fast food for lunch, and dinner with the family. A sample day for me might be:

2 eggs, 3 slices of soy bacon, 1 blueberry greek yogurt, and 1 whole kiwi (peeled)--360 calories, 23 carbs, 4 fiber

wendy's single with cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickle, onion ( top bun removed) --500 calories,22 carbs, 1 fiber

donatos chicken harvest salad--680 calories, 40 carbs, 6 fiber

so far I have had 1540 calories, 85 carbs, 12 fiber (73 net carbs)...that means that if I have exercised and earned more calories, I have plenty of carbs left for snacks.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    The more variety the better. There are a few foods that I personally avoid but you can be very healthy, lose weight and feel great just by staying within your calorie goal numbers. Everything else is minutia.
  • applekrisp1988
    Options
    For everyone calling me out on the processed garbage (especially those chicken tenders, they were disgusting) sorry I'm just really new to this thing. I feel like an idiot for jumping into "low carbs" when I really don't have any idea about it.

As for the canned green beans, I like my green beans canned...cannot stand it otherwise. That's really the only canned vegetable I eat though. What about frozen? Is frozen OK?

It's just really expensive to buy this stuff raw....